Thread: Knife makers

Knife makers

Any knife makers out there ?

Not really forged in fire, but cnc mill and electric heat treat oven.

IMAG0399~2.jpg
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Not really forged in fire, but cnc mill and electric heat treat oven.

IMAG0399~2.jpg
    Thats pretty slick. Shot blast the blade to get the texture ? What belt grinder you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Thats pretty slick. Shot blast the blade to get the texture ? What belt grinder you using ?
    I've tried several things to finish the blade. The best result also is the most time consuming. I sandblast with aluminum oxide to take off all the discoloration from heat treat. Then I blast with glass beads to make it smooth. Then I tumble it in some aluminum oxide stones. I'm using a Grizzly 2x72 grinder. At some point I plan to modify it to be like the KMG grinders.
    Steve Sendelweck

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    I've tried several things to finish the blade. The best result also is the most time consuming. I sandblast with aluminum oxide to take off all the discoloration from heat treat. Then I blast with glass beads to make it smooth. Then I tumble it in some aluminum oxide stones. I'm using a Grizzly 2x72 grinder. At some point I plan to modify it to be like the KMG grinders.
    So I assume you do your own heat treating ??? If so do you take in business for such. I think if I get into this I would rather just send out a blade to be treated vs buying a furnace.

I do my own heat treating, but I've been too busy with other things lately to work on any of my projects. A lot of machine shops have heat treating abilities. I would suggest you have a shop harden your blades and you do the tempering yourself. You can temper in a kitchen oven or toaster oven. You can also flame harden using a map gas torch.
    Steve Sendelweck

BillV makes some knives. Don't know if he is still doing it. He's in Mass and here on the boards
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO