Ionic battery “Sleep Mode”

Good morning everyone, I have a question regarding Lithium ionic battery, and the battery going into sleep mode. I came out to hook my boat up this morning and my cranking appears to be dead. I pulled up my Bluetooth app and could see that my cranking battery was not being recognized. I went back check the battery everything appeared to be fine. I then hooked up my battery charger and noticed that my both my trolling motor batteries we’re online but the cranking battery still wasn’t and that the light was blinking to appear there’s a problem with my cranking battery. All my power in my boat switched off via all my switches for my power poles my central power in my graphs. I just put a short charge on the battery last week before fishing trip and it was at 80% and I charged it up to 99 in about an hours time. So I have no explanation as to why the battery may be dead or what’s going on. I have learned that lithium batteries can go into sleep mode and I think that may be what’s going on with this. Does anyone on here have any experience with this work and give any tips on how to get the battery back up and running or is the battery got a flaw that I need to get addressed with the manufacture? I’m really surprised by this because these batteries have been nothing less than awesome since I’ve had them.
    2003- Bullet 20XD w/Promax 225X

From my experience even in sleep mode the Bluetooth app can still see the battery and show the charge so that doesn't sound right - you might have an issue
    I’ve never left something on and completely discharged mine so I can say if the Bluetooth can still work

My best suggestion is to contact Andy at drewcraft and he will get you fixed up “topnotch service”
    Last edited by MichAngler; 12-05-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

If they are ran down to nothing the will disconnect them selves. And will not function until woken up. by paralleling them with another 12 v battery "positive to positive, negative to negative ". I'm guessing you had a substantial parasitic loss or something was just on.

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Replied to your email
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    I had a similar issue with one of my trolling motor batteries. I accidentally touched the positive and negative terminals at the same time with a wrench when I was taking off the connector nut. It sparked... scared the crap out of me... then went into sleep mode.

It wouldn't wake up with my regular minn kota charger so I put on a battery maintainer which is only like 1 amp of power and it woke it up immediately and everything was back to normal.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreydavisjr View Post
    I had a similar issue with one of my trolling motor batteries. I accidentally touched the positive and negative terminals at the same time with a wrench when I was taking off the connector nut. It sparked... scared the crap out of me... then went into sleep mode.

It wouldn't wake up with my regular minn kota charger so I put on a battery maintainer which is only like 1 amp of power and it woke it up immediately and everything was back to normal.

Andy got me straight thanks BBC
    2003- Bullet 20XD w/Promax 225X

7. Member
    What was the fix? Can you please share so we will know if we run into this issue. Thanks!
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

8. Member
    Following

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Following
    +1

Following.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Its just dead - Andy can tell you how to get it charged that's easy charger just isn't recognizing its there. Step two is figure out if you just left the power on or you have a parasitic power draw in your system. I've run these 4 Ionics for 3 full seasons they are awesome. This year I am going to dual 125 in parallel for cranking batteries.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    MY preferred method is connect the jumper cables like shown in the video, then while the cables are connected plug in the charger, after the battery wakes up give it 10 to 15 minutes to charge using both banks and bring the battery up to 3% to 5% so that when you disconnect the cables it doesn't go right back to sleep , if in a hurry to charge you can leave cables on for a while to double the amps,
    this is for true multi bank chargers with independent banks like , IONIC, DualPro, NOCO, MinnKota
    DO NOT do this with PowerPole Charge connected !!

Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    You can also wake them using a jump starter like a NOCO that has a override feature but if its in sleep mode due to low voltage you will still need to charge soon as it wakes

sleep mode does not harm your battery its there to protect it, the battery will shut down at 8v and reconnect at 9.2
    info@drewcraft.com

14. Member
    I have three Relion Lithium batteries for the TM. I have had one of them "go to sleep" on me. To wake it up, I disconnect it from the 36 volt cycle. Then you just "touch it" with another 12-volt source via jumper cables or portable jump box.

15. Member
    These lithiums seems to be too much trouble. Now you have to carry jumper cables, wake up early before your tournament and check to see if the batteries were fully charged. If not, grab the jumper cables and wake the batteries up. If all is fine just return to the motel and reset the clock for the tournament.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    These lithiums seems to be too much trouble. Now you have to carry jumper cables, wake up early before your tournament and check to see if the batteries were fully charged. If not, grab the jumper cables and wake the batteries up. If all is fine just return to the motel and reset the clock for the tournament.
    That's clearly not the case. You misunderstood the issue. You only need to jump them if they are ran all the way down, such as in a situation with a parasitic draw, or you left the lights or your power poles on and went on vacation. Otherwise you charge them like any other old battery.

I just received my Ionic 125 with the charger on the way. Excited to run it soon. I like how the phone app shows me a wealth of data, gives me peace of mind

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    There not trouble unless ur having a draw in the system normally. Cut off switches are very important when using lithium products.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I have three Relion Lithium batteries for the TM. I have had one of them "go to sleep" on me. To wake it up, I disconnect it from the 36 volt cycle. Then you just "touch it" with another 12-volt source via jumper cables or portable jump box.
    thats what i did with mine as well

19. Moderator
    Good video.

20. Member
    I just bought a 125 AH battery and charger from Andy late this year. Yeah, I know; so what?
    Last edited by cmb; 12-08-2021 at 04:13 PM.