Food Plots Summer and Fall / Winter Favorites to plant

For those that do food plots what have you found to be most productive in your areas you live. When I mean productive I mean best draw plus nutritional value. And in your evaluation did you find better overall herd health and deer body size. And how do you feel your herd looks coming out of winter. We use clover with chicory and plant alot of barassica for fall/winter.

2. Member
    My friend swears by turnips. Says after the freeze they eat them like candy. No experience so take it for what you paid for it.

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Clover clover clover. If you can grow it, I absolutely saw results in the herd. Good genetics paired with good nutrition. Either way good nutrition will get them to their potential. Best years for antler growth were years is managed mineral sites and provided good clover and beans. This year I did wheat/oats because of the timing and it’s probably not quite as beneficial as the summer crops but definitely gives them some green for the winter when Forbes are limited

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Clover clover clover. If you can grow it, I absolutely saw results in the herd. Good genetics paired with good nutrition. Either way good nutrition will get them to their potential. Best years for antler growth were years is managed mineral sites and provided good clover and beans. This year I did wheat/oats because of the timing and it’s probably not quite as beneficial as the summer crops but definitely gives them some green for the winter when Forbes are limited
    you are correct with the clover. It not only feeds the animals, it feeds the soil. It will stabilize the pH and put nitrogen into the soil.
    To the OP. Food plots don’t have to be big to be effective.
    I have created many, many of them over the years on leases and for customers. First thing, take a soil sample to your local Ag extension office and let them know what you want to do and ask them for a chemical analysis of the soil to know what to add.
    Start with clearing and spraying if needed to eliminate many undesirable species.
    plant mixture of white Dutch and crimson clover if fall, mix wheat or rye with and fert or lime according to analysis.
    next spring add more clover seed, the cool season annual will go to seed and help shade the clover during the heat. You may want to mow it a couple of times.
    next fall repeat.
    ive not had as much lunch with spring planting here in he south. You may be able to plant alfalfa there as a summer crop.

enjoy. It’s as much fun as hunting when your results are evident
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catjuggin View Post
    you are correct with the clover. It not only feeds the animals, it feeds the soil. It will stabilize the pH and put nitrogen into the soil.
    To the OP. Food plots don’t have to be big to be effective.
    I have created many, many of them over the years on leases and for customers. First thing, take a soil sample to your local Ag extension office and let them know what you want to do and ask them for a chemical analysis of the soil to know what to add.
    Start with clearing and spraying if needed to eliminate many undesirable species.
    plant mixture of white Dutch and crimson clover if fall, mix wheat or rye with and fert or lime according to analysis.
    next spring add more clover seed, the cool season annual will go to seed and help shade the clover during the heat. You may want to mow it a couple of times.
    next fall repeat.
    ive not had as much lunch with spring planting here in he south. You may be able to plant alfalfa there as a summer crop.

enjoy. It’s as much fun as hunting when your results are evident

my best results in Oklahoma are planting mix of red and white in the fall with wheat and oats, then a good mow before fall rains. I have better luck in bottom land area

Every year I plant about 1.5-2 acres of corn to leave standing, Buck Forage oat and turnips/sugar beets on the rest. Oats are good early to late, the corn and bulbs are a late season draw.

7. Member
    Sounds like you have a pretty good idea going already. I would focus my plan on setting up a rotational program and try to have a growing root 365 days a year. For instance I use Ace hardware Birdfood mix as a good cheap summer plot it costs me about 3$ per acre. Then go with a good mix for the fall heavy with peas triticale and oats. For us the peas and oats dies with first frost the trit carries thru. Then in the spring I broadcast my bird seed then bush hog the trit.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. mikesxpress
    I used to fool with the various plot seeds including buckwheat rotation. It's all an expensive PIA. Get a good stand of clover suited for your geographic area with wagon wheels of ground cover/brush spidering out from your stands to make them feel secure and all that's required after it's established is occasional mowing with a little fertilizer and it will last 3-5 years and feed them thru most of the season. I still add a couple 50x50 areas of diakon radishes to hold them the last month (December) of season. All the lush plots you see on TV are very limited in duration and here in Virginia the deer wipe them out before gun season.

9. Member
    Probably a fall cereal grain mixture. Some version of Oats + wheat (or rye), winter peas and radishes works well for me. Can add a red clover for a more complete, year round program.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    For instance I use Ace hardware Birdfood mix as a good cheap summer plot it costs me about 3$ per acre.
    Interested in this..... which birdseed mix do you use and what rate of applications? fertilizer?

11. Member
    I have been tinkering with this now for several years. Typically I use the Ace Hardware brand. I could get it for $11/40# on sale in the spring. I have had the best luck with that one. I went to all the stores and looked thru the clear bag. I liked that it had more full kernel corn rather then cracked corn which would be a filler.
    Fast forward to this summer... I ran into a gal that works for Pennington seed (birdseed factory) about 30 miles away. She brings me all the broken bags and I pay her a few bucks. There will be True Value, Ace, Walmart... So it's all the same seed just different package. Some might be a little stronger on millet or Milo but it will all work.
    I broadcast 12-15# an acre, planted mid may (whenever they plant corn around you) and use zero fertilizer. I use this to start my new plot and get them into a rotation. Basically I use it as a 5-6 way base cocktail and may add a little of this or that. But you won't find a better... cheaper food plot
    This year I will be going with 1/3 Birdfood 1/3 sorghum Sudan for some height for cover and 1/3 Milo for late season food.
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 12-15-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

12. Member
    BW - thanks for the info... appreciate it.

13. Member
    I plant about 40 acres a year. Used to plant all kinds of stuff. Now I plant durana clover and wheat. Durana is perennial, and I plant the wheat into the clover in the fall with very unaggressive disking. With a little rain, you can just top sow the wheat seed into the clover. I dont use fertilizer. Clover fixes nitrogen and the wheat uses the nitrogen. I always say the wheat is for me to hunt over and the clover is for the deer the rest of the year.