Palatka, Fl (Go east till you smell it then turn south)

I've got Buddies now.

After my second hub blew out I've replaced all my oil hubs with Bering Buddy's.
    Bass caught YTD: 62 Largest Bass YTD: 7.25

http://www.facebook.com/pages/...=wall

2. Member
    did mine last spring.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Which ones did you guys go with I’m thinking about doing mine.

I just had my first inner seal start leaking. I have 22K miles on mine. Please define "blew out" and approx how many miles did you have on them.

5. Member
    Following
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

6. Member

7. Member
    I changed mine out also. I left the ramp and no oil leaking drove 40 miles home and oil everywhere and ruined bearings. When the oil bath work great but just imagine you just filled up and while traveling several hours your hub blows a seal. You won’t know it and then you melt a hub. So that is why I switched mine out after a seal blew while traveling.

8. Member
    I did the same on my 920. I caught mine as they started to leak and lucky me I just arrived home. A friend blew three of the four on his 920, not at the same time. The third one caused quite a bit of damage to include the spindle because he was running down the highway to a tournament. The warning was the big cloud of smoke. After seeing the damage it caused, I converted all of mine to Bearing Buddies with the blue indicator and Lucas Red-N-Tacky. I replaced all the seals, bearings etc. The nice thing is if you have a seal go bad you will lose some grease, but a few pumps of grease will get you to where you need to go, not left stranded.

I know many who have put many miles on the "maintenance free" hubs, just not for me. I actually wish this was an option ordering your boat. Maintenance free hubs or bearing buddies with traditional grease. Just my half of two cents, run what your happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2 View Post
    I changed mine out also. I left the ramp and no oil leaking drove 40 miles home and oil everywhere and ruined bearings. When the oil bath work great but just imagine you just filled up and while traveling several hours your hub blows a seal. You won’t know it and then you melt a hub. So that is why I switched mine out after a seal blew while traveling.

9. Member
    What model bear buddy fits the Phoenix trailers?
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

10. Member
    When you install the BB do you take the bearings out and hand pack with grease? I would think that would be a must since the oil will not be lubing them.
    bearing buddies do not pack the bearings just the hub. If you use enough pressure when pumping grease in a Bearing Buddy to get the bearings even close to lubed enough you will blow out your rear seals.
    Thanks

11. Member
    You need the 1.98"

This is what I purchased: Amazon.com: Bearing Buddy (4) 1.980 Boat Trailer Genuine Stainless Steel with Protective Bra & Auto Check Wheel Center Caps 1980A-SS 42204 (2 Pairs) : Automotive

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    What model bear buddy fits the Phoenix trailers?

12. Member
    Yes, you will remove everything. Clean all the hybrid grease out of the hub and the spindle etc. Attach a 1/4 - 28 grease fitting to the spindle end to pump out the old grease and continue until its clear with the new grease. It will come out the back side of the spindle, it's how the rear bearing is serviced - not packed. I purchased new bearings and seals. You will pack the bearings, install seals, and pack the hub with as much grease as you can. Even after you push the hub on the spindle it will push some grease out, I just pumped my grease gun around and filled up as much as possible. I then installed the washer, nut, cotter pin. . . . Use a light coat of Red RTV Silicone High Temp Gasket Sealer on the seals when tapping them in. I even put a light coat on the bearing buddy when I installed them. The bearing buddy should only need 2 to 3 pumps once installed to have the indicator pop out as long as you packed the hub well before installing. Unlike the maintenance free hubs your not trying to pressurize the hub. I used Lucas Red-N-Tacky grease. I converted mine a year ago, ZERO issues. Edit: I forgot to add, my hubs are cool to the touch when I arrive to my destinations. I check them often just for sanity. I couldn't say that at all with my maintenance free hubs, they were warm to hot going to the same ramps. I know many who have lots of miles on their maintenance free hubs, I'm personally not a fan of the hybrid grease. If you don't catch it in time a lot of damage can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwest View Post
    When you install the BB do you take the bearings out and hand pack with grease? I would think that would be a must since the oil will not be lubing them.
    bearing buddies do not pack the bearings just the hub. If you use enough pressure when pumping grease in a Bearing Buddy to get the bearings even close to lubed enough you will blow out your rear seals.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 12-16-2021 at 09:53 PM.

13. Member
    Inspection is key if you have bearing buddies or a a vault system. I always check them before trips. At stops I feel the hubs and do a quick visual inspection. I have had both and both fail at one point or another from age/mileage. I found the main reason for the vault system to fail is when the bearing is wearing out and the wheel wobbles a slight bit, it puts a groove in the stainless wear ring which allow the rear seal to start leaking.
    Both kits are great kits as long as you pay attention to it. I feel the trailer should look and perform just as good as the boat so they should both get equal love.

14. Member
    I agree 110% nothing is "maintenance free."

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    Inspection is key if you have bearing buddies or a a vault system. I always check them before trips. At stops I feel the hubs and do a quick visual inspection. I have had both and both fail at one point or another from age/mileage. I found the main reason for the vault system to fail is when the bearing is wearing out and the wheel wobbles a slight bit, it puts a groove in the stainless wear ring which allow the rear seal to start leaking.
    Both kits are great kits as long as you pay attention to it. I feel the trailer should look and perform just as good as the boat so they should both get equal love.

15. Member
    If a maintenance free blows can you at least remove the tire on a tandem axle and drive to a repair shop/dealer?

16. Member
    Hard to answer that, it depends if it's the front or rear wheel. Front wheel I would say your safe, rear wheel not sure that would be safe. Maybe someone who's done it can answer that. The issue with the hybrid grease is it appears to have similar like consistency in the tube as conventional grease, but inside the hub when it heats up it liquifies with a consistency like motor oil. If the seal goes and it's weeping is one thing, if the seal goes and it's leaking bad, you have a few minutes before it all comes out and your running metal on metal. The third one that went on a friend's trailer blew out going down the highway at 65MPH to a local tournament, it ruined the wheel finish from the heat, damaged the caliper, rotor, hub and spindle. All over a failed two dollar seal and this "hybrid" grease. He's OCD with his boat maintenance as I am, garage kept etc. checking them after or before every trip with no signs of issues. It just let go. After his third one let go, I found myself worrying every time I traveled to the lake even though the pre-trip inspection looked good. Went back to conventional grease and I no longer worry. Not trying to sell anyone on anything, just something to consider. Like I said I have other friends that run the maintenance free hubs all over the place even running out of state with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    If a maintenance free blows can you at least remove the tire on a tandem axle and drive to a repair shop/dealer?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    If you mean when driving down the interstate at 70mph and your front passenger hub and wheel fly off messing up your fender and going god knows where(couldn't find the wheel) Then yes you can get to a shop/dealer for repairs. Happened to me today while trying to take my dad crappie fishing.........
    2019 Phoenix 921 Pro XP/2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

So basically all you guys done is removed the hybrid grease repacked with regular grease and added the bearing buddies?