Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Depends upon 3 things.....in no particular order....

Your mission.....

Your budget.....

Purchase price vs options, condition (both boat and engine), resale value, etc.....

From the sound of things the Ranger is in great, great condition and is virtually a no brainer. However, I'd HIGHLY advise going through it with a magnifier and having a mechanic you trust thoroughly check out the engine. Don't let aesthetics blur your brain.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Depends upon 3 things.....in no particular order....

Your mission.....

Your budget.....

Purchase price vs options, condition (both boat and engine), resale value, etc.....

From the sound of things the Ranger is in great, great condition and is virtually a no brainer. However, I'd HIGHLY advise going through it with a magnifier and having a mechanic you trust thoroughly check out the engine. Don't let aesthetics blur your brain.
    I plan on having it taken in and looked at top to bottom.

3. Moderator
    I would buy an aluminum or cheap glass boat for my first boat. Learn all the in and outs on operating a boat. Would rather put all the scratches and dings in a cheap boat rather than an expensive one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I would buy an aluminum or cheap glass boat for my first boat. Learn all the in and outs on operating a boat. Would rather put all the scratches and dings in a cheap boat rather than an expensive one.
    Then, depending on cost, mission, etc vs the Ranger, I'd look HARD at the V18.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They all have undersized motors, I wouldn't get any of them.
    There is nothing wrong with a 150 on a 363V.
    If I remember correctly, the 363 maxes out at 175 hp.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a 150 on a 363V.
    If I remember correctly, the 363 maxes out at 175 hp.
    Yeah that means it needs a 175 and a 150 is undersized.

7. Member
    #1 for sure . The 150 hp is plenty for the boat . Back when the boat was built , the 150 motors was stronger then the 175 motor. They had engine built for bass boats. Like the GT&XP buit by OMC... Mercury XR & Mariner II Suk Super six

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    #1 for sure . The 150 hp is plenty for the boat . Back when the boat was built , the 150 motors was stronger then the 175 motor. They had engine built for bass boats. Like the GT&XP buit by OMC... Mercury XR & Mariner II Suk Super six
    That's a good point I know the Merc XR4, XR6, and OMC Fastsrike and Intruders were hot motors for only being 150s, actual output was closer to 160-170 hp from what I have heard. I don't know if Yamaha did something similar back then since they weren't as popular.

9. Member
    Ok gents! I've made my decision. Number one was really what I wanted the moment I saw it. Just wanted to get some opinions. Next step will be to get it inspected, etc...thanks for the tips and advice. I'll post some pics and rundown of everything when I finally have her in my possession! Mods you can close the thread! Thanks again everyone!

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    150 will be fine on that Ranger , propped right and wether or not it has a jackplate that should be right around a 60mph boat, fast enough for most I would say. Didn't say if it had the deck extension on the front though personally I don't like a dual console but very fishable boat one of the best Ranger ever made the 300 series. The only thing would be if your steering is cables and it gets to needing to be replaced do yourself a favor and go hydraulic when it happens,ask me how I know...lol
    Last edited by twitch; 12-06-2021 at 07:38 AM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Member
    The V18 is an awesome boat. They have great front deck space, and are well laid out. I have fished out of a buddie's several times, and really like it. With that 115, it should run around 40 or a shade more depending on prop. His has an optimax 90 and runs 35-37. He installed an ultrex and nice electronics and it serves him very well. I wouldn't hesitate to own one, thats for sure. I would absolutely at least give it a look in person if I were you. Ill be you'll be surprised.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    The V18 is an awesome boat. They have great front deck space, and are well laid out. I have fished out of a buddie's several times, and really like it. With that 115, it should run around 40 or a shade more depending on prop. His has an optimax 90 and runs 35-37. He installed an ultrex and nice electronics and it serves him very well. I wouldn't hesitate to own one, thats for sure. I would absolutely at least give it a look in person if I were you. Ill be you'll be surprised.
    Agree 100%.... I searched high and low for a good used one to use as a base for my project....or it's twin, the Fisher Pro Hawk 180. I just happened to stumble upon a quality Pro Hawk before a V18 so I bought it.

I top out at 44mph, loaded up 100%, off a '95 ELPTO 115 (after the renovation she weighs +300#'s over stock) She's no rocket ship, but, plenty fast enough for the junky h20 I fish. Mine fish's a lot bigger than 18' 3" due to the deck extension I built (which was the goal). The front deck is larger than a lot of 20' glass boats. Cuts big water very, very well and doesn't blow all over h#ll in the wind like most tins.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    I would like to have one of those with an XR6 on the back of it.

14. Member
    I don’t know your budget. But I’ve got a ranger for sale in Las Cruces in the mid $20s. Pm me if interested.

15. Member
    Had a 363. Great rig.

16. Member
    Ranger 363v is best choice on that old of a boat.

Keep one thing in mind on all these older boats, the rod lockers will be limited to a 6.5' or 7' rod

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Ranger 363v is best choice on that old of a boat.

Keep one thing in mind on all these older boats, the rod lockers will be limited to a 6.5' or 7' rod
    Both rod lockers on mine holds 7.5"+ with no problems.....

18. Member
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

19. Member
    I had a 350mRanger with a 175 merc and that sucker would run like a scalded dog !!!!!

With a budget of $10k, I'd keep shopping. I know it's rough out there, but it'll be worth it. You can do better than any of those for under $10k
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast