Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee102 View Post
    I'm sorry for my ignorance. I know what the pins go to and I know how a DPDT works but I just don't know what you mean when you say test "across". That was the only part I was confused on. What pins do I put the leads on?
    input to output terminals, same as voltage to load
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    Did you follow my advice and go to the battery for your minus reference? If not you may just be pissing in the wind.

3. Member
    I did. That's actually become my go to for testing any wiring I'm working on. I have a long negative lead I pulled out and I just attach it real quick to my battery when I'm testing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee102 View Post
    When you say read across the switch, what do you mean? Which pins do I put the leads on? It's DPDT so there's 6.
    With switch in OFF position (centered) test from pin 2 to 1,3, 4 or 6. Meter should not move or read 1.

With switch in ON position (down) test between 2 and 1 then 2 and 4. The meter should move or read 0

With switch on ON position (up) test between 5 and 3 and then 5 and 6. The meter should move or read 0.

NOTE: there should be power to pins 2 and 5. Test on DC Voltage with the Red/Pos lead on either and the Black/Ground lead to your common ground (NEG on the Battery)

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    When I test between 2 and 1 when the switch is on, my meter beeps and fluctuates between 0 and 1. About 0.2 or 0.3. When the switch is off it reads 0L.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200
    1993 Johnson GT200 Venom (VJ200SLETC)

6. Member
    And I'm now having an identical problem with my bilge pump switch.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

7. Member
    So I'm thinking it's the switches. Pumps run fine when connected directly to the battery. Lights might but I don't have bulbs. Will order some switches and check back.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

8. Member
    The plot thickens. So I wanted to test the ground. I put a lead directly to the negative and was going to hook it to the negative of the pump. Before I did, I went to hook up the positive and when I did the pump turned on (the switch was still on and I hadn't realized). It startled me so I took it off. Then when I put it back on it didn't turn on again. I did test the negative directly to the battery and still didn't get a response.

My next test will be to bypass the circuit breaker to see if that may be causing trouble. I'm recording my trials for future folks who might have a similar issue.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

9. Member
    Well. First, don't use an ohmmeter with the battery connected. Second, if the pump came on unexpectedly, it would seem the thing you touched that made it come on is the culprit. How did we get to the pumps when we were fiddling with compartment lights?
    If a switch is failing sometimes rapidly cycling it on and off repeatedly will clean the contacts temporarily.

10. Member
    The leads for the switch I tested with the meter were disconnected when I was looking at resistance.

As far as ending up talking about the bilge, I was initially troubleshooting the compartment lights and was trying to locate an extra switch that I had. In the mean time, I took the boat out and realized after the fact that my bilge wasn't working. I took a look at the switch to see if I had accidentally unhooked something (everything is in place) and discovered that it was doing the same thing. There is power at the end of the wire when disconnected, but no power to it when connected.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

11. Member
    Keep plugging away, too bad you don't have a friend that is an experienced electrician. I did aircraft electricity for about 20 years before i became an airborne radar system buyer for the Gov't.

12. Member
    My next plan of attack is as follows:

Step 1: Bypass the breakers and wire power from the main switch to the compartment or bilge switch. See if it works. If it does, I have an issue somewhere in the breakers. If not, proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Bypass the compartment or bilge switch by wiring power to the lights/bilge directly from the main switch. See if it works. If it does, I have an issue with the switches. If not, proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Bypass the switches entirely and wire power from the console main to the wire that leads to the lights/bilge. See if it works. If it does, I have an issue with the main switch. If not, cry.
    1993 Hydra Sports LS200

13. Member
    Remember the first rule. K.I.S.S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12