A-60 surge brake actuator

I need to change my actuator. My boat has a UFP A-60 actuator. It is all one unit welded to the trailer tongue. E-Trailer has an actuator that is Dexter DX89FR that is a bolt on unit. DX89FR | etrailer.com. Can I remove the internals of this unit and bolt it directly to the factory welded framework on my trailer tongue ? It kinda looks like the working components might be removeable from the "bolt on" framework and be installed on my factory framework. The DX89FR is supposed to be the replacement for my UFP A-60 actuator.

I'm not cutting my actuator off to bolt on another one, and I'm also not cutting it off to weld on a different one. Seems like I should just be able to replace the internals and be good to go. Anyone know ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I need to change my actuator. My boat has a UFP A-60 actuator. It is all one unit welded to the trailer tongue. E-Trailer has an actuator that is Dexter DX89FR that is a bolt on unit. DX89FR | etrailer.com. Can I remove the internals of this unit and bolt it directly to the factory welded framework on my trailer tongue ? It kinda looks like the working components might be removeable from the "bolt on" framework and be installed on my factory framework. The DX89FR is supposed to be the replacement for my UFP A-60 actuator.

I'm not cutting my actuator off to bolt on another one, and I'm also not cutting it off to weld on a different one. Seems like I should just be able to replace the internals and be good to go. Anyone know ?
    Yes, you can replace the internals with the proper actuator, but you wouldn’t buy a bolt on unit to do it. Just buy a new UFP A-60 inner member to replace yours. Make sure you get the right one. Disc/drum, one or two brake axles.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Call Dexter and verify cross reference compatibility for what you need.

Dexter bought UFP and they may be absorbing UFP products by using newer Dexter part numbers for the same parts.

4. Member
    Eastern Marine UFP A-60 inner member actuator slide. Single axle part #34043, Tandem axle part #34044. No bolts, they are held by pins. Hope this helps.

5. Member
    Guys thanks a bunch. All replies are helpful. I thought maybe I goofed by purchasing the bolt on unit. I ordered it yesterday morning. I called 2 hours later to say that I thought I had made a mistake. It was too late, already shipped. It was on my porch at 2pm today. I will send it back and get the right one.

Randrat, thanks.

It'll be a week or two before I get around to but I'll be back asking for tips on bleeding this system. LOL
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    What make of trailer do you have?

7. Member
    Not sure. Maybe MFI ? It's a 2008 Champion 210.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not sure. Maybe MFI ? It's a 2008 Champion 210.
    I also am replacing the a60 actuator on my 2008 Champion 210 trailer. Mine was built by Mfi. I just ordered the complete inner slide assembly through Amazon for like $272.

9. Member
    I have a 2003 Ranger and ordered my A-60 actuator from Pacific Trailers. Because my trailer tongue folds also Ranger mounted the brake solenoid separate from the actuator on the trailer. I ended up at a forklift/hydraulic dealership to buy some adapters to reattach the hose from the actuator to the solenoid. Also don't forget to bleed your brakes and replace all the fluid.