Garmin steadycast heading sensor

I’m awaiting on the arrival of some new Garmin echomap units so I can install them but curious if the steadycast is highly advisable by those that have it installed? I haven’t placed an order for it but was chatting with a fella and he said “must have”. What say y’all?

Thanks!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd say if you use your maps for off shore fishing, lining up on waypoints, etc., yes, you would need it. Keep in mind that if you do get it, you will need the nmea network also....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    It was a difference maker for me as I do fish offshore often. No more getting to a spot and trying to find some kind of mark in the distance to align, now I just look at my graph and I know the angle and distance to cast.

Steady cast is a must have IMO!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

A friend hooked up Point One to his Uhd 93's, what a difference in off shore fishing, no more rotating maps to make you go nuts. Will be hooking up Steady Cast to my 106 and 73 Garmins.

6. Member
    Well there you have it! I think you gents have answered the question for me. I don’t offshore fish much because I’m not confident nor comfortable with it but I know I need to get better. I think I’ll try to find a place to pick up one. I’ll use the existing nmea 2000 backbone leftover from the lowrance’s to make it happen. Love this site!!!!

7. Member
    If you have a leftover Point1 from your. Lowrance units your Garmin will work fine with it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    If you have a leftover Point1 from your. Lowrance units your Garmin will work fine with it.
    Lowerider, there is a lowrance “puck” mounted in the boat already so I will try to use that. Didn’t know it was compatible with Garmin so thanks! Anything special I need to do to make it work?

9. Member
    It should work as long as it’s connected to the unit through a NMEA network and it’s powered up.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDawg85 View Post
    Lowerider, there is a lowrance “puck” mounted in the boat already so I will try to use that. Didn’t know it was compatible with Garmin so thanks! Anything special I need to do to make it work?
    You can choose it on system-gps menu- data sources.

11. Member
    Also, confirm whether or not the puck has heading (along with GPS). Some of the Lowrance pucks are GPS only (and won't help with heading). Just a note to keep you from wasting too much time looking for heading, if not there.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cldtx View Post
    Also, confirm whether or not the puck has heading (along with GPS). Some of the Lowrance pucks are GPS only (and won't help with heading). Just a note to keep you from wasting too much time looking for heading, if not there.
    Steady Cast is heading sensor only, Garmin's combo headig +gps antenna is GPS 24XD

13. Member
    Good info guys, thanks for the additional responses. I am not sure if the puck is GPS only or if it includes a heading sensor. I guess we’ll find out once we hook it up.