Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega Live opinion

Ok, I've had mine for about 3 weeks, been out with it several times. To be honest, I'm not impressed with it. I keep hearing that it will get better with future software updates but I wonder if it will ever rival Live Scope. I was really hoping that this thing would do the trick but it has me considering whether to forgo one of my bow units, both are Humminbird and replace it with Garmin. I like having D/SI and 2D at the bow, but I do not want to add a third unit under any circumstances. Maybe Humminbird will come out with an update that changes my mind, I surely hope so. Just thinking out loud here, any opinions welcome.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Did you have a Garmin previously? If not, you really don’t have a real world basis for comparison. Watching videos to make comparisons doesn’t mean much. Perhaps you are just having trouble interpreting live sonar in general and with time you will get better at it? Guys that have actually owned and used both are reporting more similarities than differences, with some liking Mega Live better and some liking Garmin a little better. There are guys who can break down every detail of a lake on side imaging and other guys who will look at the same images and have no idea what they are looking at. I have Mega 360 and I am still advancing in my understanding of what I am looking at, especially when it comes to marking fish. My first several times out I had no idea when I was picking up fish, now I am much improved, but I know I still have more to learn.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 12-02-2021 at 09:21 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Did you have a Garmin previously? If not, you really don’t have a real world basis for comparison. Watching videos to make comparisons doesn’t mean much. Perhaps you are just having trouble interpreting live sonar in general and with time you will get better at it? Guys that have actually owned and used both are reporting more similarities than differences, with some liking Mega Live better and some liking Garmin a little better. There are guys who can break down every detail of a lake on side imaging and other guys who will look at the same images and have no idea what they are looking at.
    I don't know how you can say the videos don't mean much! They are taken by the devices that we are talking about. As much as I hate to admit it, LiveScope is better. And I'll believe that until I see convincing evidence to the contrary. Seeing is believing.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Ok, I've had mine for about 3 weeks, been out with it several times. To be honest, I'm not impressed with it. I keep hearing that it will get better with future software updates but I wonder if it will ever rival Live Scope. I was really hoping that this thing would do the trick but it has me considering whether to forgo one of my bow units, both are Humminbird and replace it with Garmin. I like having D/SI and 2D at the bow, but I do not want to add a third unit under any circumstances. Maybe Humminbird will come out with an update that changes my mind, I surely hope so. Just thinking out loud here, any opinions welcome.
    I'm lucky enough to have spent considerable time with all three live sonar units. The ML and LS were side by side with a very experience live sonar user operating them and it's not even close in the real world. If you are just looking for fish all three will do that. If you want to swim a crappie jig down into an opening in a brush pile only LS will allow that. The fine detail, or lack of fine detail, on the ML is really disappointing to say the least. For my style of fishing it's a no brainer. I am a loyal HB si user but LS will still be on my new boat.

FWIW to you I use one Solix for mega 360 and mapping and an 8612 for LS on the bow. I removed one of my HB units to get rid of the clutter. Unless I am fishing where the 360 is needed I only use my Solix for mapping.

5. Member
    For me, it is not all about the videos but…. too many showing LS vs ML point to LS being far superior. Not really a surprise as LS has been working on refining their product for several years. HB is too good of a company to not make changes. I’m hanging with HB for another year assuming they will be making updates along the way. I am obsessed with M360 which brought me over to HB.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatCanDoo View Post
    For me, it is not all about the videos but…. too many showing LS vs ML point to LS being far superior. Not really a surprise as LS has been working on refining their product for several years. HB is too good of a company to not make changes. I’m hanging with HB for another year assuming they will be making updates along the way. I am obsessed with M360 which brought me over to HB.
    I love my Birds too, but they are behind the 8 ball on this. They are going to have to make major improvements or risk losing market share.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    After about 10 trips with mine I really like it. Yes the structure can be a little blobby but I know it's there and can see my lure hitting it and fish if they are moving which is all I need at this point. I was never going down the Garmin road since I've already invested way to much money in HB and I didn't want 3 units at my bow and have to add more power. It's already helped me catch a few more fish and that's all I can ask for.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    I think what everyone is missing is....

people can say "I really like my ML"
    That is great, ...... But will i "really like my ML" or will i be much happier with LS.
    If I am spending the money, I want to be wowed, as much as possible.

I 'really liked' my HDS carbon Sidescan compared to the garmin gt54 transducer. It was like, holy efff.....
    well i "really love love love" my MSI on my helix units compared to any side imaging I've seen.

You can say you are really happy with ML, and again, that is awesome. But that isnt the point many of these guys are trying to make.
    You want the best images..... you are dropping Garmin and LS on your boat right now, thats just fact.

You want images that are plenty good enough and stay HBIRD specific? You are going ML, and that is fine.

To the guy who said the videos dont matter?
    Umm..... disagree. As a marketing major.... if your video cant cut it, if your live demonstration doesnt cut it, and if the BEST videos your users can produce dont compare to the competition (in terms of image quality in some peoples oppinions) well that other team won the battle. Thats all it is.

That is not saying things wont change..... thats not saying Garmin tech guys dont leave and go get paid more by Hbird, that isnt saying this employee and developer shortage doesnt hault Hbird for the next few years.
    I dont know the history of Humminbird, but I would think Garmin has been in the tech field / gps / radar / plane tech and has a much bigger wallet.

To steal some of Garmin guys and send them to the fishing unit.... I bet Garmin gets stronger, and Hbird becomes the laggard.
    Thats just how i see it, and if i had to bet on it.

But again- I think lots of guys lose the point people are trying to make.
    I am not buying the $1500 ML, and I would rather pay $2,000 for a LS setup with the headache of more units on my boat..... but thats just me!
    I think I would find more value in Mega 360, so from everything i've seen so far comparing the top 3 Live images, I will wait on that tech.
    Note: I have never even seen Mega 360 in person, but if its side imaging in a circle around my boat and the image quality is the same as what my side imaging gets me now? Sign me up.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

9. Member
    I have both LS and ML.
    I've had LS for over 3 years and used it allot.
    I've had ML now for a few weeks.
    Within 40' forward I actually prefer ML over LS.
    Over 50' forward LS is better.
    I have no problem seeing and swimming my jig up and over and drop down in tree limbs within 40' once I got my ML dialed in. Turn your contrast settings way down to around 4 for better detail and bait tracking. This works for me. Most times I can track my 1/16 jig out to 40' fishing 5 to 20 feet deep.
    No excess clutter with ML, no ghost tree with ML, and very small dead spot with ML compared to LS.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I have both LS and ML.
    I have no problem seeing and swimming my jig up and over and drop down in tree limbs within 40' once I got my ML dialed in. Turn your contrast settings way down to around 4 for better detail and bait tracking. This works for me. Most times I can track my 1/16 jig out to 40' fishing 5 to 20 feet deep.
    No excess clutter with ML, no ghost tree with ML, and very small dead spot with ML compared to LS.
    I'll give that a shot! Thanks!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I have both LS and ML.
    Exactly my point. All these opinions and freelance YouTubers making videos and drawing conclusions doesn’t mean much to me. I have seen way too many videos on side imaging and other features where it’s so obvious that their transducer placement is garbage and their settings are garbage, and then they put up a video and spout opinions that influence prospective buyers. Even from some of the best known pro anglers. I know people who are absolute electronics gurus who have used LS and now ML, and they really like ML. I’ll take their verbal recommendations over a YouTubers video who doesn’t have the same knowledge. Seeing is NOT believing, there is an old adage in computing called GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Exactly my point. All these opinions and freelance YouTubers making videos and drawing conclusions doesn’t mean much to me. I have seen way too many videos on side imaging and other features where it’s so obvious that their transducer placement is garbage and their settings are garbage, and then they put up a video and spout opinions that influence prospective buyers. Even from some of the best known pro anglers. I know people who are absolute electronics gurus who have used LS and now ML, and they really like ML. I’ll take their verbal recommendations over a YouTubers video who doesn’t have the same knowledge. Seeing is NOT believing, there is an old adage in computing called GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out.
    Obviously you speak for yourself when you say seeing is not believing. Personally, I would have to suspend reality to say that Mega Live is just as good or better than LiveScope, after all. How can a self contained transducer produce more detail at greater or equal distance than a unit that requires a separately powered amplifier or whatever the LS black bow contains. You sound as if you have Johnson Outdoors stock, or you just need to be right.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Tone, Having a black box means very little. In the beginning all sonar needed a black box for anything but 2D sonar. Electronics has advanced in the past 40 years or so. Very few black boxes are used anymore.
    It is all in the results. Not the number of box's something has. HB will improve ML or it will not be a success. Time will tell. It is too early in the game to make a reasonable decision. Like all new electronics there will be an adjustment period. Things are almost never exactly right out of the chute. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Tone, Having a black box means very little. In the beginning all sonar needed a black box for anything but 2D sonar. Electronics has advanced in the past 40 years or so. Very few black boxes are used anymore.
    It is all in the results. Not the number of box's something has. HB will improve ML or it will not be a success. Time will tell. It is too early in the game to make a reasonable decision. Like all new electronics there will be an adjustment period. Things are almost never exactly right out of the chute. JMO Bob
    I'm not obsessed over whether there is a black box or not. But Lowrance (if I'm not mistaken) has one also. I hope that I'm wrong, but I suspect that having that extra power is central to having a device that is comparative to what's out there right now.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I wonder why Lowrance is still not using the LSS 1 or LSS 2? Could it be that processor technology has improved and size reduced? Is it possible Humminbird has better technology than the others?
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I wonder why Lowrance is still not using the LSS 1 or LSS 2? Could it be that processor technology has improved and size reduced? Is it possible Humminbird has better technology than the others?
    possible, but show me one screen shot I prefer over the garmin ;)
    I mean come on guys, you have them, can you pause the display by moving the cursor on helix or not?
    that’s the only reason there’s no stills that get me excited?

I haven’t seen anything remotely good on perspective
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    possible, but show me one screen shot I prefer over the garmin ;)
    I mean come on guys, you have them, can you pause the display by moving the cursor on helix or not?
    that’s the only reason there’s no stills that get me excited?

I haven’t seen anything remotely good on perspective
    I don't know about the Helix, but I can pause my Mega Live anytime I want on my Apex and Solix, simply by touching the screen... Then just hit the X button to resume.

I fail to understand what that has to do with anything though. I can also do a screen capture anytime I want and don't have to pause the screen to do that.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I don't know about the Helix, but I can pause my Mega Live anytime I want on my Apex and Solix, simply by touching the screen... Then just hit the X button to resume.

I fail to understand what that has to do with anything though. I can also do a screen capture anytime I want and don't have to pause the screen to do that.
    He is saying nobody is posting good screen captures from MegaLive. I tend to agree with him, I haven’t seen any screen shots or videos that make me want to buy it. I am sure it would be fine for a lot of people but I don’t see the detail necessary for my applications.

If you want to buy a new head unit to see fins, then go right ahead.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    If you want to buy a new head unit to see fins, then go right ahead.
    you’re talking to the guy that’s changed entire brands 3 times in 4 years.
    mostly due to boat changes. I have no problem buying a head unit ;)

I know we are just keyboard warriors with opinions,
    but that’s kinda the point of forums I suppose,

I don’t need to see fins, but the tree in that video on ml looked like trash and looked like more fish than what LS showed.

I feel like you’d have to watch the ml screen constantly to interpret what might be down there.
    I feel like LS you could glance down and get a better image. And that too would be important to me.

In the meantime it looks like myself and many others are waiting for more compelling photos abd videos (that don’t currently exist) to get us excited to buy. That’s all :)

hopefully Hbird monitors this forum and maybe another guy with ml will see this (cough cough Wayne cough cough)
    and he will say “challenge accepted, I’ll show this guy some amazing photos and examples “

his mega side imaging would be enough to get anyone to buy.
    ml = we can wait
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast