Lower unit swapout

ser. # 2B733457. 250 Pro XS 4 stroke. I will be replacing the lower unit on this motor. I've done this a couple times on my previous 250 Pro XS 2 stroke. Is the procedure any different ? Should the shifter be in neutral or in gear when removing and reinstalling ? What is the torque number for the bolts ? Anything else I need to be aware of ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    Leave it in neutral, no shifter linkage to worry about. Whole lower comes off in less than 10 minutes with only the 5 bolts. Shift actuator stays mounted on the midsection. Very easy process compared to older shift linkage motors. Make sure the oring for the water pump stays in place.

3. Member
    Thank you
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    no shifter linkage to worry about.
    This statement is actually not accurate. The difference is that the shift linkage is a straight-slot (as compared to a splined shaft).

Service Manual will give directions on placing the shift actuator position in FWD, and shifting the gearcase to FORWARD with the appropriate shift shaft tool.

That being said: NEUTRAL will have the slot facing PORT to STARBOARD (side to side) on both linkages. If you get that... it's no problem to put the gearcase on.

45 lbs/ft is the recommended torque.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you sir.
    GETFISHED !!!