Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex causing interference. Fix?

Got a 93sv up front for sidevu and downvu. It is networked to the console 93 and uses the gt56 in the back. When the trolling motor is used, the image gets all sorts of interference. All the cables are in the bow and are individually wound, ziptied lightly and wrapped with tinfoil. Any ideas?
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Where do the electronics in the bow get their power? Is there interference when the motor is running on 100%?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have the same issue with my helix units. I’m wondering if the noise is coming through my 2d transducer attached to the bottom of the motor.
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Where do the electronics in the bow get their power? Is there interference when the motor is running on 100%?
    Any speed causes the interference. '12 z521 so there is a panel up on the bow. Trolling motor power runs up port side from batteries to bow. Power cables then run to the center where the pedal is and out to the port side again. Graph, power and other cords are as far to the starboard side as possible.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I have the same issue with my helix units. I’m wondering if the noise is coming through my 2d transducer attached to the bottom of the motor.
    Different issue since my transducer is in back and this graph is connected via ethernet. No transducer connected

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Any speed causes the interference. '12 z521 so there is a panel up on the bow. Trolling motor power runs up port side from batteries to bow. Power cables then run to the center where the pedal is and out to the port side again. Graph, power and other cords are as far to the starboard side as possible.
    If there is interference when the TM is on 100%, then there is likely something wrong with the motor.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Don't overlook actual RF through the air. It usually requires a torrid choke(on the transducer cable) right at the input to the MFD to eliminate it. Also a note on neatly tied and wrapped cables, Zip tying or any other method of tightly binding cables together actually increases the likelihood of induced noise. Coiled cables should be formed in a figure 8 to help prevent transmission of noise. Those are some know things that has helped others. CatFan makes a good point with the speed 10. The speed control(PWM) pulsing is not used with the prop speed of 10 selected. The absence of noise at that speed indicates the PWM pulsing is your culprit and these or other fixes are needed. If your noise is still present at "10" it may be another source other than PWM. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Next time out remove the charger leads from the battery powering the graphs. If that clears up your problem them you need a choke between the charger and battery

9. Member
    If there is interference when the TM is on 100%, then there is likely something wrong with the motor.
    Ran the TM at 10 today and it was not interfering.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Don't overlook actual RF through the air. It usually requires a torrid choke(on the transducer cable) right at the input to the MFD to eliminate it. Also a note on neatly tied and wrapped cables, Zip tying or any other method of tightly binding cables together actually increases the likelihood of induced noise. Coiled cables should be formed in a figure 8 to help prevent transmission of noise. Those are some know things that has helped others. CatFan makes a good point with the speed 10. The speed control(PWM) pulsing is not used with the prop speed of 10 selected. The absence of noise at that speed indicates the PWM pulsing is your culprit and these or other fixes are needed. If your noise is still present at "10" it may be another source other than PWM. JMO Bob
    I'll tear into the wiring up front this winter and redo it. I need to make a list of the fixes you gents are giving because they are easily lost in a thread

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
    Next time out remove the charger leads from the battery powering the graphs. If that clears up your problem them you need a choke between the charger and battery
    I'm confused. How do the charger leads in the back of the boat affect the graph on the bow when the TM is running?

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    I'm confused. How do the charger leads in the back of the boat affect the graph on the bow when the TM is running?
    Some chargers, notably NOCO, are known to couple noise between the TM batteries and cranking battery.

But, there would be no noise on the TM battery when running it at full power.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Some chargers, notably NOCO, are known to couple noise between the TM batteries and cranking battery.

But, there would be no noise on the TM battery when running it at full power.
    My TM died last week due to water intrusion and the dealer replaced the armature and other parts with used ones. You think that might be it?

14. Member
    Are you past warranty? Used parts put more possibilities in the puzzle. A missing ground or a blown ground fuse(brown wire with fuse in the TM head) will cause bad interference. I would check that first if you had no noise before the intrusion. JMO Bob

15. Member
    Are you past warranty? Used parts put more possibilities in the puzzle. A missing ground or a blown ground fuse(brown wire with fuse in the TM head) will cause bad interference. I would check that first if you had no noise before the intrusion. JMO Bob
    Just ordered new parts tonight. Going to have a talk with the shop about the used parts and charging me $225. I'll test it after the new parts are installed and let you know

16. Member
    Tore the tm apart and it was full of water(again) and the 3amp fuse was blown. Get parts next week and I'll report back. Thanks for all the great help!

17. Member
    I have the same setup as you. I took a computer mouse pad and cut a piece to fit between the transducer and trolling motor. Cured my problem. I understand this works for a few folks but most it does not. It is an easy cheap try!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I have the same setup as you. I took a computer mouse pad and cut a piece to fit between the transducer and trolling motor. Cured my problem. I understand this works for a few folks but most it does not. It is an easy cheap try!
    Good idea. I don't have a ducer on the tm. The graph is networked thru the console to the gt56 in the back

19. Member
    Call Minn kota, there is a kit with new seals. You don't want to get water in again. I would suggest having a Minn Kota ASC do it, but it is your money.

20. Member
    Call Minn kota, there is a kit with new seals. You don't want to get water in again. I would suggest having a Minn Kota ASC do it, but it is your money.
    Got the kit with seals. Being done by authorized dealer so if it leaks again, I can blame someone else :) just replaced the fuse. Step 1 done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast