Water flow Optimax in general

Why do some Optimax motors have water flow directed thru the port fuel rail and some are bypassed??
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With a very few exceptions- most of the ProXS and Racing-XS models built after July 1, 2006 were designed without the port rail being cooled.

Most of the Standard Optimax models (with blue Direct Injectors) did utilize water from the compressor strainer to cool the port rail (or more specifically, the fuel).

In theory, the higher pressure/narrow spray pattern DI system was less likely to boil/vaporize fuel in the rails. Reality and "Theory" don't always match, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don:
    Thats what I was thinking. Engineers do not know it all. I think they should spend at least 10 years in the field before they start designing things.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ This. Better yet, cycle them back into the field for one year (every 3) so that they get to work on their own creations and truly appreciate them!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ^^^^ This. Better yet, cycle them back into the field for one year (every 3) so that they get to work on their own creations and truly appreciate them!
    Same with the automotive field.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Member
    Same in most any maintenance related field I suppose, sure cussed a lot of electrical engineers during my USAF career.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax