AGM and Lead - 3 Bank Charger Question

Just purchased a 1997 Champion 186. Having it rigged up with a 9" Garmin at the console, 10" at the bow, LiveScope, and the Garmin Force TM. This boat has an XPS brand 3-bank (5/5/5) onboard charger that I'm guessing is about 10 years old. My question is, can we install an AGM battery for cranking/electronics and 2 Lead batteries for the trolling motor? Will this cause issue with the AGM battery? Everything we've researched and everyone we've talked to seems to have differing opinions. The manual for the charger itself is not real clear either. Just trying to get some more opinions or first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOsmallies View Post
    Just purchased a 1997 Champion 186. Having it rigged up with a 9" Garmin at the console, 10" at the bow, LiveScope, and the Garmin Force TM. This boat has an XPS brand 3-bank (5/5/5) onboard charger that I'm guessing is about 10 years old. My question is, can we install an AGM battery for cranking/electronics and 2 Lead batteries for the trolling motor? Will this cause issue with the AGM battery? Everything we've researched and everyone we've talked to seems to have differing opinions. The manual for the charger itself is not real clear either. Just trying to get some more opinions or first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Ain't that the truth.

3. Member
    That is probably a charger manufactured by Pro Mariner. It is likely AGM compatible, but, you can call Pro Mariner and verify. Having said that, it is a basic charger without a battery selector type and I would not use it on a high quality AGM like Northstar/X2. It is definitely not compatible with an Odyssey. It might work fine on a lesser AGM like the Duracell/Deka.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Most chargers will do both AGM and Lead all or mixed batteries. It's when you try to do Lithium batteries that require a different charger or setting. I've run a Wet Lead and 2 Optima AGM's with a Duo-Pro with no Issues. I run 3 No Maintenance Lead now that 2 are TPC 31, 180 RCA and 1 Interstate X-2 for the starting motor with no issues.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Most chargers will do both AGM and Lead all or mixed batteries. It's when you try to do Lithium batteries that require a different charger or setting. I've run a Wet Lead and 2 Optima AGM's with a Duo-Pro with no Issues. I run 3 No Maintenance Lead now that 2 are TPC 31, 180 RCA and 1 Interstate X-2 for the starting motor with no issues.
    Apparently some lithium batteries don't require a different charger and/or setting.

Many of the lithium battery suppliers are saying they will be charged just fine by an outboard motor's electrical generation system. The same system that apparently is satisfactorily charging flooded lead acid batteries, sealed lead acid batteries, AGM lead acid batteries and gelled lead acid batteries.

Seems that I have read where folks are charging a lead acid battery (flooded/AGM/GEL) at the same time that their lithium battery(s) are being charged using the same power supply.