Laptop Christmas deals

I would like to buy a laptop for a Christmas gift . Should I go to Best Buy or some other place?

I just want to get a basic Computer not for Gaming or anything fancy.

It would be used to surf the web, check e-mails, write papers ETC..

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    personally would look at newegg.com or amazon prime if you are a member.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    new egg and Micro center are good places to look

4. Member
    If you are looking to just internet surfing, e-mail, and writing papers I would highly recommend a Chromebook - all of those things are easily done with a Chromebook and you don't need to mess with a Windows machine. If you have to use specific software for work or school, go with a Windows machine.

My wife and I have Chromebooks and they are excellent. They boot up in seconds, are very quick, and don't require a lot of maintenance. They are also much cheaper than a Windows laptop.

I recently bought a very basic Windows machine to be able to store and watch the videos from our game cameras (we have a lot of cameras and the AVI format does not work well with Chromebooks) and that thing is a huge pain in the butt. It takes a couple of minutes to boot up and it seems like every time it does it has to update. It's slow (because it is a lower end processor) and clunky compared to the Chromebook. Maybe it's because My wife and I both have Macbooks for work laptops that I find windows so challenging.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasj View Post
    If you are looking to just internet surfing, e-mail, and writing papers I would highly recommend a Chromebook - all of those things are easily done with a Chromebook and you don't need to mess with a Windows machine. If you have to use specific software for work or school, go with a Windows machine.

My wife and I have Chromebooks and they are excellent. They boot up in seconds, are very quick, and don't require a lot of maintenance. They are also much cheaper than a Windows laptop.

I recently bought a very basic Windows machine to be able to store and watch the videos from our game cameras (we have a lot of cameras and the AVI format does not work well with Chromebooks) and that thing is a huge pain in the butt. It takes a couple of minutes to boot up and it seems like every time it does it has to update. It's slow (because it is a lower end processor) and clunky compared to the Chromebook. Maybe it's because My wife and I both have Macbooks for work laptops that I find windows so challenging.
    If I went with Chromebook can pictures and PDF's be stored?

6. Member
    Crankin we use DropBox. I can access the documents from any platform I have with internet access. Just an idea.

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Some have a small amount of storage onboard, ~32gb. Cloud storage or external drives are also an option.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    If I went with Chromebook can pictures and PDF's be stored?
    Yes, and no virus protection needed
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

9. Member
    Chomebook is the best money I have spent in a long while.

If waypoint management is a requirement, make sure whatever platform you choose will work. Chromebook won't run Humminbird PC for instance.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    If waypoint management is a requirement, make sure whatever platform you choose will work. Chromebook won't run Humminbird PC for instance.
    KEY POINT: Same with Garmin. If you want to download patch upgrades for Garmin, you are required to download a self extracting zip program that requires the windows OS to run. So if you are using this machine to download patch upgrades for Garmin to an SDcard and then put on your Garmin, you need a Windows operating system compatible machine... PC or Mac (running a Windows OS on it)

12. Member
    For the money this is a heck of a deal. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...1&s=pc&sr=1-11

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    For the money this is a heck of a deal. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...1&s=pc&sr=1-11

IMO if you need a laptop get a laptop not a chrome book.

14. Member
    Lenovo's site has some good laptop deals

15. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Try not to get one with a plastic screen backing.....we got a HP several years ago and from the opening and closing the plastic hinges/welds broke.....went to a Dell this summer and the hole PC is metal.....lot better than the plastic HP.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Member
    If you go with a chromebook, you can easily store files on dropbox like others have mentioned or you can use google drive. That's where I store a lot of my pet deer pictures.

https://slickdeals.net/laptop-deals/

minimum of 8GB RAM and something with > 51GB of disk, preferably SSD disk. It's faster and more stable.
    If you build one, 16GB dual core processor with 1TB of SSD disk.
    Joey Aderhold