Scorpion 70/71 noisy upon retrieve

Hey guys,

I have two seasons on this reel and I really like it. As I was putting my tackle away for the season (I'm in NJ) I noticed the reel produces, what I believe, something rubbing/scraping internally upon retrieve under no load, the reel is smooth otherwise. If I spin the spool by hand, it is silent, so it only makes this noise when turning the handle. I lubed the worm gear, but that didn't do the trick. Is it possible it's the bushing that supports/sits on the worm gear? Does it need to be lubed or replaced? Any other culprits to consider? Thanks!!

Mark

Sounds like internal corrosion, if it hasn’t been serviced since new it is due. Could be a bearing, anti reverse or clutch hanging. A complete service should correct. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    Thank you Dan for stopping by! The reel has not been serviced as of yet. It hasn't seen that much use, and I have a Curado 71 with about the same amount if time on the water, and it is quiet, so I was thinking it was something faulty, but I will just have it serviced and see what happens.

Thanks again ~

4. Member
    Hello again,

So I took the reel apart for the first time, it looked good in there, but did do some cleaning and lubing since I was already in there. So this is what is taking place, If I disengage the spool and spin it, it's silent. If I remove the side plate and turn the reel sideways, so that the spool is vertical, and turn the handle, it is silent. However, once I put the side plate back on and hold the reel as one normally would, the noise returns. I then took the spool and side plate from my quiet Curado 71 and put them on the Scorpion and the noise was still present when the handle was turned. Does that help zero in on a particular component? Thanks!

5. Member
    Hello Dan and others,

I took the inner pinion bearing out of my Curado and put it in the Scorpion and it's quiet! So that was the problem all along, I may flush it and oil it, but in the meantime I'll just order a new bearing. Thanks Dan!