Thread: Rivian towing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    The question is..is the electric motor more efficient? Depends. https://interestingengineering.com/d...hich-is-better

It takes oil and petrochemicals to make a EV. https://www.visualcapitalist.com/how...ctric-vehicle/
    Your first article didn't end up on "depends." It stated that EV's take around 1/3 of the energy input per mile compared to gasoline. It also jumped between diesel and gas pretty regularly, so it was hard to follow, but also mentioned that diesels can be around twice as efficient per kW as a gasser, so electric is still more efficient from a the pure definition of efficiency. It then went on to state that the generation of the electricity is relatively similar to the initial energy input into harvesting and refining crude into useable fuel, meaning the front end input is a wash.

It does take petrol to make an electric vehicle, but wouldn't many of the plastic or petrol based materials be similar to those of a gasser? Also making it a wash?

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    22 mpg dropped to 14 mpg would be like 36% drop in mpg?
    Yea...but I can fill up in 5 mins.....can they??? Tis' why I'll never go electric.....In my lifetime....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Yea...but I can fill up in 5 mins.....can they??? Tis' why I'll never go electric.....In my lifetime....
    Except the new technology from Ford, partnering with Purdue University, has shown ability to charge in 5 min.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Except the new technology from Ford, partnering with Purdue University, has shown ability to charge in 5 min.
    ISnt the Purdue thing hydrogen on demand ??? I thought I saw they were close to perfecting that. IMO thats the answer.

5. Member
    Motor Trend is reporting good stuff on the Mira Hybrid. They report the biggest issue is range because of broken or pumps empty of fuel.

6. Member
    Honestly it’s not as bad as I thought. While it wouldn’t work for most bass guys, for the average guy I know with a boat the range would be plenty.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    ISnt the Purdue thing hydrogen on demand ??? I thought I saw they were close to perfecting that. IMO thats the answer.
    Agree

8. Member
    I didn't think the Ford/Purdue thing was hydrogen, I thought it was using phase change cooling systems to keep the battery/charging cable temps down allowing them to push more energy/charge faster?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kojimep View Post
    I didn't think the Ford/Purdue thing was hydrogen, I thought it was using phase change cooling systems to keep the battery/charging cable temps down allowing them to push more energy/charge faster?
    This is what I was talking about.

https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark...-on-demand.php

10. Member
    Ahh, hadn't seen that. Interesting .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123