Batteries Plus X2 Warranty Issue

I have a BP X2 31 that isn't performing to spec as I see it and it has 8 months of warranty left. I am getting a dim front graph and low voltage alarm after the first few hours of fishing and had to jump it a couple of times late in the day. This has only happened in the last 6 weeks or so.

I pulled the battery and took it to my local BP and they did a load test and said the battery is good. I asked for a load test over time and what they did was load test, let it sit overnight, then load test again. Battery "good". I told them they needed to do some type of load test over time keeping a sustained draw on it to simulate the conditions.

I explained the application where I was using the battery and they said it didn't matter, the warranty policy was that they would not replace the battery unless it tested "bad" on a single load test. Since my battery passed this test, it is "good".

I called the customer service department and they connected to the store and explained the situation. She said that they would not replace the battery. I asked if they would prorate or something, since I'm not putting it back in my boat and she said "no proration or replacement for a good battery".

I can't believe this is the warranty policy for a marine battery on a bass boat...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

2. Member
    Oh I can believe it. I had 2 interstates take a dump. Each was less than a year old. The distributor replaced the first one. 10 months later he replaced the second one and said don’t come back.

3. Member
    X2s always pass ,the load test. I turn one graph on with voltage and and time displayed and take a picture every 5 or 10 minutes and have them try to explain why the battery drops voltage so fast when it passes a load test. Then they give me a new battery

Put something on it like an extra bilge pump and just let it run down as far as possible then let it sit for a months. Try to charge it up and it will most likely be dead.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sounds like an outboard issue.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Apenland, They pretty much have you where they want you. Their warranty must stipulate a certain test if passed is what they consider good. Your issue is the total capacity(Amp hours) is reduced by time and use but not the criteria they use. Actually not a ripoff. Depending on usage and charging routine a user can shorten the life of their batteries by over discharging and or not charging back up to 100% promptly after use. Most warranties are for the benefit and protection of the seller at least as much as protecting the buyer. Not sure how they are treating you maybe buy from somebody else. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Apenland, They pretty much have you where they want you. Their warranty must stipulate a certain test if passed is what they consider good. Your issue is the total capacity(Amp hours) is reduced by time and use but not the criteria they use. Actually not a ripoff. Depending on usage and charging routine a user can shorten the life of their batteries by over discharging and or not charging back up to 100% promptly after use. Most warranties are for the benefit and protection of the seller at least as much as protecting the buyer. Not sure how they are treating you maybe buy from somebody else. JMO Bob
    ^^^^what he said^^^^

8. Member
    I've been through the same scenario with two X2s. The initially test out fine but run down quickly on a load test.
    I had one store refuse to replace one. Took it to another store and they replaced with no questions.

9. Member
    I had the same issue with an X2. It was running down quick but passed the load test. The store gave me a Duracell brand battery to try for the weekend and it performed flawlessly. They then agreed to replace the battery. The second one never had an issue.

10. Member
    Again, all true what bobcoy said in his post. As well, today our crank batteries perform dual purpose. We use them for cranking which requires a high burst of amperage for a short time. And we also use them like a deep cycle, where we depend on them to provide a low amperage for a long time to run all of our accessories. Load testing really tests only their cranking ability and your battery passed that test.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    Yes, the battery passed the test, so it's going into an RV for the rest of the warranty period. I decided to get a new X2 since I have a tournament coming up and can't be down. The closest place to get the same battery is Bass Pro, but I don't have one local to me. If the old X2 doesn't make it 8 months in the RV under heavy use, it will get replaced and I will sell it.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

12. Member
    Ey I'm in the same spot. I've got 6 months of warranty left, but this battery is too dead to crank my motor after 4hrs with just a 9" graph running.

They test it and "it's good!"

Anyway - ionic lithium cranking battery is at $789. I figured screw it, if I go through another x2 within 10 years I'll have spent more on x2s then s lithium..

Not too mention I drop 41lbs.

Batteries wear out. The warranty is there to protect against a major failure of the battery like a bad cell or whatever not really against normal wear and tear imo.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Batteries wear out. The warranty is there to protect against a major failure of the battery like a bad cell or whatever not really against normal wear and tear imo.
    I somewhat agree, but full replacement warranty is full replacement warranty. The confusion was that I believed it would be covered under warranty if it wasn't performing to spec, not if it was a "bad" battery vs "good" battery on a simple load test. They weren't willing to do any other testing on it, which is what was disappointing to me.

In any event, the battery is the best choice for me at the moment, since lithium would require spending more money than for just the battery at the moment...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

15. Member
    Old thread, but count me as another casualty of the X2 warranty scam. They'll never see me near one again.

what charger?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Mine has functioned flawlessly for almost 3 years.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    Wow, yes this is an old thread. That battery is still running in the toy hauler with no problem. I have no idea why it wasn't working in my boat, but the new one I bought when I started this thread is still running strong. It's since gotten a Noco GenPro 10x4, since I have a lithium for graphs, so the charger is much more robust than what I had at the time. I still like the X2 batteries a lot and have never had an issue other than this one, which could have been a charger issue.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4