Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer missing hydraulic lines

Been about a decade since I had a bass boat, finally back.....

Picked up a 2016 Nitro Z7, owner says the brakes would hangup when backing so he removed all the hydraulic lines of the surge system (the line from the tongue to the passenger side wheel, and the one connecting the wheels together). The boat is 19ft and the trailer has a folding tongue. I'm just trying to figure out if anyone knows how long of a brake line kit needs to be picked up. Am I adding extra for the folding tongue? Am i measuring from the receiver to the tire?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by saliva2002; 11-30-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Turns out he actually removed the lines AND the calipers. Jeez. Is it even cost effective to try and Re-do this? I'll be pulling it with an 04 1500 silverado..... do I "need" the brakes?

3. Member
    I am guessing 3000 pounds plus. I personally would have to have the brakes. Guy must be an idiot. JMO

I am in agreement that it definitely needs to be repaired and brakes operational. Call a Nitro dealer and ask. I am assuming they can assist. I call Bass Cat when I need trailer parts, and I would think Nitro would be similar.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    If it is a single axle your looking about $600 parts and tandem axle about $1,150. Labor that will be about $500 to $800.
    You would almost be better off to find a used nitro trailer with a good frame.

6. Member
    You don't have to have brakes on both axles. Many come with brakes on one axle.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    You don't have to have brakes on both axles. Many come with brakes on one axle.
    Just because the trailer comes with brakes on one axle does not necessarily make it legal. Better check with your local authorities and insurance company..

8. Member
    So the companies that sell trailers with brakes on one axle are not legal in some states? Would be interesting to see a list of states my boat would not be legal in due to single axle brakes. Maybe just a couple states?

Can someone point out the parts i would need for a 2016 single axle z7 trailer.... not sure if it's 3500 or 5000 lb axle though

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saliva2002 View Post
    Can someone point out the parts i would need for a 2016 single axle z7 trailer.... not sure if it's 3500 or 5000 lb axle though
    I've used easternmarine.com, etrailer.com, and pacifictrailers.com. They all have good info, Q&A's and some how-to video's. You can also call if needed.

If going all in new, and if you have the axle ready for hardware mounting:

Actuator w/coupler (usually for 3/16" brake line)
    rotors w/bearings (grease or oil bath)
    calipers with pads
    lines (hard or hardened plastic) 3/16"
    T-fitting for split at axle location
    not sure if extra couplers will be needed here....
    brake fluid

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

11. Member
    I never did this, but I have been researching the cost and effectiveness of going with electric brakes, and it makes sense to me. I recently bought a used Basscat with a Basscat trailer, and it looks like the master cylinder is bad and there are NO replacements.
    The prospect of cutting the tongue off and welding a different one on, make electric look quite sensible.

12. Member
    Visit Nitroboatparts.com, your local dealer, or a lical trailer repair shop to identify requisite parts. No need to use oem equipment, it would likely be much more expensive to do so.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    So the companies that sell trailers with brakes on one axle are not legal in some states? Would be interesting to see a list of states my boat would not be legal in due to single axle brakes. Maybe just a couple states?
    Yes. Many states require brakes on all axles, I know Georgia and Florida do, if they meet the requirements of needing brakes, and almost all tandem trailers would. You will see dealers selling tandem trailers with brakes on one axle IN a state that requires them on both axle. The used boat we bought was originally sold in Florida with brakes on one axle in Florida, later the owner moved to Georgia with brakes on one axle and eventually we bought it. The brakes were drum brakes used in saltwater, they never worked well until I changed them to SS disk brakes on both axles.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    if he did that do his trailer, you have to figure he went cheap on standard boat and engine maintenance.....is the deal final? As far as brake lines, I took a trailer to a big rig maintenance shop here in Va and they custom made a new set of brake lines for the boat, said it is easier that way and as I recall was pretty cheap. Other shops can probably do that too.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

15. Member
    Trailer brake requirements outlined for each state.

I’m no lawyer but it appears that it is not black & white…..depends on the gvw of trailer (weight with load) & the weight ratio of your tow vehicle to the fully loaded trailer (loaded trailer weight cannot exceed 40% of the combined weight of the loaded trailer and the tow vehivle).

My opinion, based on 35 years of towing bass boats, is that fiberglass bass boat trailers should be equipped with surge brakes on one axle (tandem or single axle trailers). Of course, this is just my opinion…..I am not trying to counter the opinion of any other poster.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Trailer brake requirements outlined for each state.

I’m no lawyer but it appears that it is not black & white…..depends on the gvw of trailer (weight with load) & the weight ratio of your tow vehicle to the fully loaded trailer (loaded trailer weight cannot exceed 40% of the combined weight of the loaded trailer and the tow vehivle).

My opinion, based on 35 years of towing bass boats, is that fiberglass bass boat trailers should be equipped with surge brakes on one axle (tandem or single axle trailers). Of course, this is just my opinion…..I am not trying to counter the opinion of any other poster.
    I used to share this opinion. I bought a 2017 Triton from a Dealer and it came with 4 wheel discs and shocks. When you are towing and really need to stop it, those extra set of brakes really do help your tow rig stop (tow vehicle is a GMC 1500 Sierra Denali). I was amazed.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

17. Member
    Lots of tandem boat trailers with only one axle with brakes.
    You want the brakes working specially with a half ton.
    Towed a buddies tandem axle with a 1500.He didnt tell me brakes were not working. Down hill fried my truck brakes .
    Pretty easy job to install calipers etc.
    I wouldnt install electric brakes on a submergible trailer.

18. Member
    I meant to say ‘at least one axle’.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Turns out he at least left the discs on it. Overton's has some full kits for around $600, even though I don't need the discs or the actuator, I only need the calipers and the hydraulic lines

I would get a roll of 3/16" Nickel-Copper brake line (easy to work with) and make your own and get the 2 or 4 rubber hoses and calipers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast