225 Fitch, its been a year with this problem, I need a miracle.

Model # E225FPLEEO
    Ser # G 04712778

This is kind of a like it’s the 4th quarter, one minute on the clock and this is a hail marry pass to the endzone. I have been trying to fix this problem for almost one year. Maybe this will get read by the one person who can figure this out for me. I have had 5 mechanics from different part of Mexico come to this lake, so far, no one can figure it out.

Its 1998 Evinrude 225 Fitch. Engine only has 275 hours on it. Problem is, if the motor runs for more than 7 or 8 minutes, something (not the engine) over heats and if you turn it off, the engine will not restart for about an hour. Nothing gets power, everything is off, computer, fuel pump and injectors. After about an hour, it starts first crank and runs just fine. Also, when it goes into the mode where it will not start, lights on the gauges are flashing. I have shot the engine with a inferred heat gun and the engine block itself is not heating up, good pea stream of water, water is passing through the EMM. Interesting thing is, when I changed the stator and rectifier, it would run longer before the problem occurred and cooled off quicker, so that affected something. Here is a list of things done in the last year to try and fix the problem.

1. Changed impeller
    2. Changed heat sensors
    3. Cleaned injectors/new correct plugs
    4. EMM rebuilt
    5. Power panel rebuilt
    6. Changed all relays and fuses
    7. Changed stator
    8. Changed rectifier
    9. Had every connection and ground wire on the engine checked by mechanic

If anyone has any suggestions or offer any help, I will pay for your time, whatever it takes. Anyone gets this problem fixed, i will give a fishing trip to Mexico. Thank you for reading all of this.
    Shannon

2. Member
    Post an engine report. Surly, one of the 5 mechanics must have one. EE is a 1999 model.

The water hose that cools the EMM has a 90-degree bend in it and famously clogs easily causing the EMM to overheat. That hose may actually be inside the EMM, I cannot remember.
    Good luck with the engine.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    By whom and when was the EMM rebuilt? Irregardless, I’d get a second opinion…

5. Member
    No sharp 90 degree bends on this engine. Nor hose inside EMM. Only a straight pipe.

Who did the work on the ECU (no EMM on a '99 FICHT)? Most places give a warranty on repairs. Next time the motor quits, do the gauges go dead or just the motor? Do 3 of the 4 System Check lights come on?

The PDP model is well known for having intermittent solder joints inside. Most ECU and EMM repair places fix those also.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    thank you, I have checked water flow, but I need to again, I have a feeling its something to do with thsi. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    The water hose that cools the EMM has a 90-degree bend in it and famously clogs easily causing the EMM to overheat. That hose may actually be inside the EMM, I cannot remember.
    Good luck with the engine.

8. Member
    Fitchemmrepair.com did the repair, but he was not easy to deal with and I question the work. When it happens, motor turns over, just no power to fuel pump, injectors or EMM. And yes, when it happens, 3 of the 4 lights come on and flash as long as key is turned. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Who did the work on the ECU (no EMM on a '99 FICHT)? Most places give a warranty on repairs. Next time the motor quits, do the gauges go dead or just the motor? Do 3 of the 4 System Check lights come on?

The PDP model is well known for having intermittent solder joints inside. Most ECU and EMM repair places fix those also.

9. Member
    Fitchemmrepair did the work, not easy to work with at all. I have always been afraid he ripped me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    By whom and when was the EMM rebuilt? Irregardless, I’d get a second opinion…

10. Member
    Yes, I have had two engine reports from two different scanners. Both had no error messages. When it wont start, the EMM is off, no power to anything eletrical in the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
    Post an engine report. Surly, one of the 5 mechanics must have one. EE is a 1999 model.

11. Member
    My money is on the PDP. What is a thsi?

12. Member
    https://dfitechnologies.com/
    Good place to start your diagnosis. Call them and they will help with diagnosis and repair.
    My guess is also the PDP and cold solder joints

I went through those symptoms on a 2000 200hp Ficht and it turned out to be the PDP! I removed the PDP and popped the back of of it and cleaned every connection with a soldering iron and that took care of it. If you know someone that is good with a soldering iron have them clean it up for you, if not then DFI Technologies does good work and can repair it for you!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

I'm with the rest saying the PDP being the issue. My guess is they used lead free solder when they manufactured those and that stuff SUCKS!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Your description of the "3 light salute" is from a faulty EMM, no if ands or buts. Not familiar with your repair place but CDI Electronics and Marine Computer Supply are experienced and competent shops that give a warranty.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/ficht/ 1.800.467.3371
    marinecomputersupply.com
    dfitechnologies.com
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

16. Member
    Seahorse is correct. I missed the part about the three lights.

Seeing the ECU and the PDP were repaired by the same company, probably a good idea to include it with your ECU for professional repair.

Pdp or can diode in wiringharness. I had same and fault in diode.

18. Member
    Call DFI technologies. They’ll fix you emm if that’s the problem. It may be a coil