Mega Live Settings

I've been out several times now with Mega Live. Everything is working great but just need practice. I'm still having trouble with the boat icon pointing in the right direction and also trying to locate and track my bait. Any advice you can provide on settings that may help with these two issues would greatly be appreciated. I'm fishing for Crappie right now and trying to use a 1/8 jig but also put on a large crankbait to practice. I've read that lowering the contract will help. If you have success at tracking your bait out to 40 feet, what are your settings and what are you using for bait? Also has anyone been able to get their boat icon to work correctly?

2. Member
    Are you using braid or mono for Crappie? Braid is a more visible than mono, to me it makes tracking a small jig easier.

3. Member
    I'm using 10 lb braid.

4. Member
    Do you have a heading sensor and is it selected by your finder? That is how the icon knows which way to point and which way the ML ducer is pointing. That would make it easier to see your bait and you know which way to cast. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Yes, I have a heading sensor installed on boat and it is selected by the unit running my ML. All units and trolling motor are networked through a 5 port hub.

6. Member
    I gave up on the boat icon and shut it off. It works until I hit the trolling motor. Same issue I had with livescope. I might get a pole mount for Mega live and see if it works better.

Some baits don't show up well beyond 40 feet. That was something I learned with livescope. It's about the same with Mega Live. I can see an A-rig out far but not some big crank baits. I think hollow baits don't reflect sonar well at a distance. Try different color pallets too.

7. Member
    maniac, Did the heading sensor properly calibrate and you did the heading offset procedure?
    BO, It sounds like your heading sensor has a location problem, too close to the power cables from the trolling motor?
    These things are pretty sensitive and need proper procedures to work properly. The install documents are very specific.

8. Member
    My icon was acting all crazy as well...just turned it off since the ML is mounted on my ultrex will just rely on tm pointer for the ML direction... Have 2 as gps hs's mounted..both are spot on...My ML is mounted at the very bottom of the shaft so I would have to assume the tm motor is causing the wackiness.

9. Member
    Bingo! I know Garmin states the compass(magnetometer in the AHRS module) in the transducer will not work properly If it is on the barrel of the motor and right next to it will have some issues, I would suspect. It seems very few use Live for marking waypoints and do like you said so they know to use the trolling motor direction.