Hybrid vs a fairway wood

Do you carry both? I pretty much went with a 3h last year, thinking of adding a 5h and not carrying any fairway woods.

Was hitting the 3h better than the 5w and off a tee about the same as the 3wood.

Never been much of a hybrid hitter, don’t know if I should get a 4h and skip the 5.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

2. Member
    good question. I am 2 months from being 65. Hybrids are becoming more appealing. A guy at our club who is 76 got some hybrid irons this year. They are pretty sweet.

3. Member
    I'm 60 and have been playing since I was a child. I've been using a 4H to replace 3 iron for about 4 years. Also have a 3W I use from fairway and a lot of tee boxes since I get to play the middle senior tees
    I hit the ball basically as far as I did in the 70's with the new technology in irons, woods and shafts. It is very satisfying. Discuss with the group I play with on Fridays who are all 55+.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

I carry Driver, 3 Wood, then a 3,4 and 5 hybrid. I went through a fitting for the 3 Wood and Hybrids, so we were able to use different loft hybrids to match the gaps. I am 54, but still have plenty of power, however, I find the hybrids are much more forgiving on mis hits. I can hit my irons well from 6 and up, but always struggled a little with the 3,4 and 5 irons. Replacing them with hybrids solved that problem.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

My hybrid has been awesome, but it is more of a tweener for me so I still carry my 3 & 5 wood.

6. Member
    I still use a traditional set of irons 3-LW, plus a driver & 3 wood, i haven't found a perfect hybrid club yet that i can work like my long irons but i use an 18* hybrid to fill in the gap between 3W and 3 iron.

7. Member
    I've found my hybrid a little more forgiving than a long iron, and easier for me to hit off the tee than a wood or even a driver. Lol I may not have the distance with it but it is a fairway finder for me
    Fish have fins, they swim

for "fairway woods" I have a 3wd, 3H, and 4H. I really use the 3wd off the tee when I don't quite need a driver but I'm toying with the idea of dropping it. The hybrids can hit out of the rough with no problem(no US Open rough but you know), I rarely go for a par 5 in 2 with a 3wd, I might be better off having the space at the other end of the bag.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    I carry Driver, 3 Wood, then a 3,4 and 5 hybrid. I went through a fitting for the 3 Wood and Hybrids, so we were able to use different loft hybrids to match the gaps. I am 54, but still have plenty of power, however, I find the hybrids are much more forgiving on mis hits. I can hit my irons well from 6 and up, but always struggled a little with the 3,4 and 5 irons. Replacing them with hybrids solved that problem.
    I did the same thing.