line setup for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, squarebills

This next fishing season I'm going to be fishing from a kayak much more. Because of this I'm going to be using the same rod/reel combo for the above baits. I don't want to be carrying around multiple reels to switch around on the rod, so what line would you go with for these baits/techniques? Braid to flouro leader or straight flouro? What pound test and brand?

Can't go wrong with a 15 or 17lb flouro for those baits I like Trilene but some will like other brands.

3. Member
    I would go with #16-#18 FC Sniper. The diameter will be much thinner that the Berkley

The only thing in that group I don't throw on braid to leader currently is a squarebill, and it's not for lack of trying. Just lost fish waaay to often with braid. So if it's one rod/reel for all of those, I'd agree with the above and would go with 16 lb Sniper.

This is probably obvious from my above comment, but I really don't think a squarebill fits with the first three, especially the spinnerbait. You need to be able to crack them hard with a spinnerbait, and a squarebill you kind of want the exact opposite. That doesn't lend itself very well to using the same rod/reel/line setup for both.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    30# Power Pro, no leader

6. Member
    17lb fluorocarbon should handle all three of those baits nicely.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I would go with #16-#18 FC Sniper. The diameter will be much thinner that the Berkley
    This is the best answer...
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Agreed. 16 lb would be my choice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The only thing in that group I don't throw on braid to leader currently is a squarebill, and it's not for lack of trying. Just lost fish waaay to often with braid. So if it's one rod/reel for all of those, I'd agree with the above and would go with 16 lb Sniper.

This is probably obvious from my above comment, but I really don't think a squarebill fits with the first three, especially the spinnerbait. You need to be able to crack them hard with a spinnerbait, and a squarebill you kind of want the exact opposite. That doesn't lend itself very well to using the same rod/reel/line setup for both.
    Drew, the reason I threw the squarebill in with the others is due to the rod I'm going to be using. I was looking for a good squarebill rod (asked about it in another post) and wound up talking with Gary at The Tackle Trap. He said he absolutely loves using the Megabass P5 Blade for throwing squarebills. Now the Blade is built for throwing spinnerbaits and bladed jigs, so you know it's going to be good for those baits. And since Gary has never steered me wrong on selecting a rod, I decided to get the Blade for throwing squarebills. Since it's also made for throwing spinnerbaits and bladed jigs (and I assume it will also do well with a swim jig), I figured I could use that one rod for throwing all of the baits I mentioned. I have normally used straight braid or braid to leader to throw swim jigs in the past, and even though I have used straight braid for throwing squarebills before, I just don't care to do it due to the zero stretch of braid. That's why I have been trying to figure out whether to go braid to leader or straight flouro. I think I may try straight flouro and give the FC Sniper a shot.

10. Member
    I got 20 # power pro straight. Could use it for everything. 14-17# mono could work well for everything. I also got a set up with 14# fireline. No problems.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Drew, the reason I threw the squarebill in with the others is due to the rod I'm going to be using. I was looking for a good squarebill rod (asked about it in another post) and wound up talking with Gary at The Tackle Trap. He said he absolutely loves using the Megabass P5 Blade for throwing squarebills. Now the Blade is built for throwing spinnerbaits and bladed jigs, so you know it's going to be good for those baits. And since Gary has never steered me wrong on selecting a rod, I decided to get the Blade for throwing squarebills. Since it's also made for throwing spinnerbaits and bladed jigs (and I assume it will also do well with a swim jig), I figured I could use that one rod for throwing all of the baits I mentioned. I have normally used straight braid or braid to leader to throw swim jigs in the past, and even though I have used straight braid for throwing squarebills before, I just don't care to do it due to the zero stretch of braid. That's why I have been trying to figure out whether to go braid to leader or straight flouro. I think I may try straight flouro and give the FC Sniper a shot.
    It's definitely doable. You'll just need to consciously hit them on a spinnerbait and swimjig, and to a lesser extent the chatterbait, more than you might be used to doing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14-18/maybe 20 all depending on cover.

13. Member
    I love straight braid on a mh/mod-fast rod, makes for a great blend of power for hooksets while still having some give for them trebled lures, 30 or 40lb test, I prefer power pro or sufix 832.

14. Member
    I have a dedicated spinnerbait rod and its got 10-12lb sniper, squarebill 10-12lb sniper and vibrating jig. so I guess I use 10-12lb sniper for all of those. Ha!
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

15. Member
    15lb big game
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    12lb CXX would do well for all of those lures IF not in heavy cover. In your case I’d probably go with 40# Sufix 832 and with the squarebill I’d use a leader and go straight braid on the others.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    12lb CXX would do well for all of those lures IF not in heavy cover. In your case I’d probably go with 40# Sufix 832 and with the squarebill I’d use a leader and go straight braid on the others.
    Yes even in heavy cover Pline 12lb CXX would be good for all of those, or 17lb C21.

16# Sniper will be perfect for that application.
    30-40# braid would be a 2nd option.
    Here’s an article that may help you find a line that suitable for your needs.
    http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/
    Very helpful for finding your line sweet spot.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I would throw 15 pound Izorline Platinum for all of those baits. The one additional preference I would have if fishing tough cover, would be to fish the swim jig on 50 pound braid.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    My choice would be 15 lb Sunline Assassin