Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The post you recently made heavily influenced me in my decision to go this route. When doing research I instantly throw out reviews from sponsored people or a business and look for the common Joe who pays for product out of their pocket and has zero to gain buy giving a review. I found a couple other replies about the same set up as yours and they were positive as well so that sealed the deal for me to go this route. I'm almost done buying Christmas gifts. As soon as I'm done I think I'll include this to myself as a late minute gift. If ordering with a charger it comes with with a 3 amp charger. I thinking about ordering the battery only then getting the 10 amp charger separate. What's your thoughts on the 3 amp verses the 10 amp charger. Weight will not be an issue. I plain on wiring mine a tad bit different than your set up. I'm going with a quick disconnect plug for the charger. I will also attach a quick disconnect plug on my cord that goes to the head unit and black box. When not in use I leave everything unplugged. When charging the battery I simply plug in the charger and when powering the unit I simply plug in the wire going to the head unit and black box.
    Other than one tournament per month, my fishing trips are 4 to 6 hours and the charger is always hooked up on the parking pad.
    With this schedule, I have never had a reason to think much about the size of the battery charger. I don’t even know how long it takes the small charger to recover a heavily discharged battery so don’t have a qualified opinion.
    I plan to make some changes in the way my units are wired. I was concerned about stacking the connectors on the small posts so went to a lot of trouble to install the small connection blocks. As I often do, I was over thinking it and plan to remove them and use the post on the battery.
    I am also considering a way to seal off the hole where the wiring passes through the locker wall. Haven’t found the perfect thing yet so the install is still evolving.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    If your willing to spend $210 then I would go with an Amped Outdoors 30ah and 3 amp charger. Its seven pounds and if it were totally dead it would recharge in 10 hours. I would get the tall version if mounting in a boat because it has terminals you screw a bolt into. I have done a lot of research and found several good reviews on this product. This is what ice fishermen are using on portable units on all day trips. I have read where people can get in two normal days of fishing or one really long day of fishing on a single charge. Yes this cost a few more $ that what you have planned but IMO its worth the extra cost.
    I have the same battery but the 10 amp charger. $239.98

A real life example is yesterday fishing in 48 degrees.

The Amped Outdoors 30 A/H battery(tall version,screw terminals) was under load for 7 hours.

The load was a LScope GLS 10 module and a Garmin 106 at full brightness level.

Battery voltage measured with meter was 13.7 to start and 13.2 measured after 7.5 hrs.

Did not measure the amp draw while in use, but will do so at a later date.

Good luck

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmastrbw96 View Post
    Only issue I have with that route is it's only 12 volts. Yes it will run fine, but the unit shuts off at 10v. My thinking was I'll have a 36v supply reduce the power to maximum unit voltage. It will perform better, and have power for days. Either way it works both are great options.
    Lithium batteries are going to be over 13 volts till about 95% discharged. Some chemistry's are higher.
    The almost universal Lithium battery on the Marine scene Is LiFeP04. Mine sit at 13.2 or better(at higher temps). If you ever see 12.8 it is on its way quickly to shutdown. Never seen mine below 13. Are any of these buck modules rated waterproof? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Other than one tournament per month, my fishing trips are 4 to 6 hours and the charger is always hooked up on the parking pad.
    With this schedule, I have never had a reason to think much about the size of the battery charger. I don’t even know how long it takes the small charger to recover a heavily discharged battery so don’t have a qualified opinion.
    I plan to make some changes in the way my units are wired. I was concerned about stacking the connectors on the small posts so went to a lot of trouble to install the small connection blocks. As I often do, I was over thinking it and plan to remove them and use the post on the battery.
    I am also considering a way to seal off the hole where the wiring passes through the locker wall. Haven’t found the perfect thing yet so the install is still evolving.
    In "theory" a totally dead 30ah battery would take 10 hours to charge with a 3 amp charger and 3 hours to charge with a 10 amp charger. I have lead batteries for my trolling motor and they "typically" are re-charged in 2-5 hours pending how much I drained them and age of battery. After a typical 6-9 hour day fishing I plug in my charger as soon as I get home and then before I go to bed I typically unplug it if all lights are green. Maybe I am over thinking it but I did not want my Livescope battery to take longer than my trolling motor batteries. I wanted to ensure it would be recharged in 5 hours or less so I could unplug everything before I go to bed hence why I was thinking of going with the 10 amp charger. Reports I've read say people are getting in two 8 hour days on one charge so I think I can easily recover in less than 5 hours with a 10 amp charger if my typical one day of fishing is 6-9 hours.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If your willing to spend $210 then I would go with an Amped Outdoors 30ah and 3 amp charger. Its seven pounds and if it were totally dead it would recharge in 10 hours. I would get the tall version if mounting in a boat because it has terminals you screw a bolt into. I have done a lot of research and found several good reviews on this product. This is what ice fishermen are using on portable units on all day trips. I have read where people can get in two normal days of fishing or one really long day of fishing on a single charge. Yes this cost a few more $ that what you have planned but IMO its worth the extra cost.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...ize-and-weight
    Thats great Idea too...esp if ya don't have power tool battery already..to use multi application for the Batterys you use in tools and Fish ...

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    48AH 14.6V AMPED Outdoors. Fits well in front storage and connects to GLS10 and 106 at the bow using Anderson power pole connectors. The connectors can also be plugged into boat power. The 3 amp charger that comes with the battery stows easily in the same box and uses the same connectors to charge. Operating voltage is around 16.2 volts and the lowest I've seen it drop after a full day of use is 15.2 volts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why are you guys using separate power for LS?
    I have to admit, mixing the words Garmin, Livescope, Dewalt and Milwaukee in the same sentence kind of makes me cringe.....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Lithium batteries are going to be over 13 volts till about 95% discharged. Some chemistry's are higher.
    The almost universal Lithium battery on the Marine scene Is LiFeP04. Mine sit at 13.2 or better(at higher temps). If you ever see 12.8 it is on its way quickly to shutdown. Never seen mine below 13. Are any of these buck modules rated waterproof? Bob
    Like I said either way is a good route. I just prefer more voltage. as far as buck modules being waterproof I mean sure they can stand to get a little damp I wouldn't hold a pressure washer on them though. They are about like every other electronic we have. Although those Plano tackle boxes with the rubber seal make for a nice junction box. I have been running mine for almost a year without any hiccups.

I already have an on-board charger for all of my batteries on the boat I only spent about 50 bucks rigging it up

Amped has the tall 30ah for 189.99, but currently out of stock. Ionic has a 20ah with roughly the same dimensions for 199.00. Wouldn’t that be as cost effective +/- a few $$$ over multiple cordless tool batteries?
    I ask because I’m updating my Sabre FTD and Livescope with dedicated power is on the list.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12