Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    Technically he’s a employee of the state of Louisiana considering LSU is state college. Tv contracts are massive among SEC schools, 10 million is a drop in the bucket and just more conformation these kids should be getting compensated for the amount of revenue they are generating for these schools. That’s just my opinion of course.
    What does it cost per year to attend one of these schools? 20 k per year at a min.? Over 4 years thats at least 80k. No student loans compared to reg students. Sounds like the athletes are getting paid via a free 100,000 education that will pay dividends later in life.

2. Member
    For me it speaks to loyalty issues at the highest level of coaching. Not much different than the players that opt out during the bowl season for pro contracts that may or may not pan out.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Most of the assistant coaches are staying. That speaks volumes about the school and why people choose to stay.
    Maybe they weren’t asked to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    For me it speaks to loyalty issues at the highest level of coaching. Not much different than the players that opt out during the bowl season for pro contracts that may or may not pan out.
    Speaking of that, I better not hear a dad gum thing out of anyone on this site about top draft prospects sitting out their bowl game this year. I don't blame them at all. It starts at the top, and these coaches are setting a poor example.

I can at least make an argument for Lincoln Riley. The timing of him doing it was pretty piss poor, but with OU going to the SEC I understand why he did it. The recruiting will be much easier, California is a QB factory and he's a QB genius, and he will own the Pac 12 and have a much easier road to a National Championship.

Brian Kelly did it for money, 100000%. No other reason. And the timing is absolutely horrible. His team is on the verge of going to a national championship, and he just dips out. He's a piece of work.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    What does it cost per year to attend one of these schools? 20 k per year at a min.? Over 4 years thats at least 80k. No student loans compared to reg students. Sounds like the athletes are getting paid via a free 100,000 education that will pay dividends later in life.
    Let’s just use the #’s you threw out there. D1 football programs are allowed 85 full ride scholarships. That comes out to $1,700,000 per year. The coach is making over 5x what it costs to supposedly pay for 85 scholarships and 500x the annual supposed cost of a scholarship. LSU football generates around a $60,000,000 profit per year. I would say that’s a pretty good return on 85 scholarships that really cost the school nothing. Just think it’s crazy that people think these guys don’t deserve more compensation for the money they generate for these schools.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    Just think it’s crazy that people think these guys don’t deserve more compensation for the money they generate for these schools.
    The argument would be more palatable if the money generated by the players went to the school and lowering tuition and not straight into the AD/coaches/NCAA wallets.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Maybe they weren’t asked to leave.
    The only way they were not asked is that they came out so quickly to say they were not leaving that Kelly didn’t have a chance to ask them formally. 90% of the time when a head coach leaves they take most of their assistants with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    The argument would be more palatable if the money generated by the players went to the school and lowering tuition and not straight into the AD/coaches/NCAA wallets.
    I agree 100%

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234