Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'12 and '14 z521 taking on water?

I just bought a '12 z521 and my buddy has a '14. Both seem to take on water and pump out about a gallon or so every hour. Live wells are not running. What are we missing and where to start? Thanks guys
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just to be clear, the boats both take on a gallon of water per hour at rest, not running down the lake, putting in at a launch, or backing up in the water? Those other conditions can be trickier, but if you’re taking on water absolutely at rest, starting from a dry bilge, then a gallon-an-hour leak should be visible. To start, remove the board in the bilge area that is designed for a spare prop to sit on. With the boat in the water, get in there with a good LED flashlight and determine that the bilge is already dry [you didn’t take in water while launching the boat]. Then, carefully inspect around all hoses and fittings, including the livewell control valve. Could be a loosened or slightly split hose, hose fitting, broken pump housing, broken livewell valve housing, or even a small leak around the bilge drain plug. Be sure to feel around the bottom of hose fittings, too. Small leaks can be hard to see, but if you’re starting from a dry bilge, you should be able to feel even small drips or wet spots.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I just went through this on my 2012 z521, one livewell pump housing was leaking. I went ahead and replaced all livewell hoses with radiator hose while I was working on it. I found another area after that where water was coming in at the trans mom cap. I took the cap off and resealed everything and put cap back on. This seems to be pretty common area mainly with a lot of weight in back with power poles and pumps, 3 lead and 1 agm batteries, fuel tanks full, 200+ lb fishing partner. I am switching to lithium batteries which will be a big weight savings.
    2012 Ranger Z521
    2012 ProXS 250

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Jason makes a good point about the transom cap, especially on boats that have seen several years of service, and another area to check is the splashwell access panel. If there is water in the splashwell a significant amount of the time and the seal on this [round] panel is compromised, a steady drip of water into the bilge can occur.

5. Member
    Per John's recommendation, take a look at the splashwell access panel and replace the seal. This is where my water was coming in on my 2011 Z521. I picked up 1 MPH just by replacing this seal.

6. Bob G's pool boy
    Not sure why but I have never had a totally dry boat. There are too many penetrations in a boat that are just above the waterline to worry about if I'm only getting a gallon an hour. My '21 Z521 is the most noticeable. Auto bilge kicks on and runs for 5 seconds or so every two hours if I have someone in the back, even on a flat day. If it's rough, it's more often. I actually like it. I know it's working. Water isn't going to hurt anything.

That said, it is usually plumbing, something in the splashwell not sealed completely, or rub rail. The plumbing one is the one to worry about as it likely will get worse as whatever is leaking opens up more and more. By all means, look for the problem. Every hour is a lot for seepage assuming you are talking about a flat day and there isn't water constantly in the splashwell.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

7. Member
    Thanks gentlemen! Great input and I'll check it out when i get the boat back tomorrow from the shop. Not familiar with the transom cap. I'll look up pics

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    “Too many penetrations.” That phrasing is funny, Bill, but also very apt and true. My newest Ranger has only been on the water a few times, never in more than a ripple and always with a minimum of other boats to create wakes. Also, I have lithium batteries and no poles or Talons, so this boat sits higher in the stern. With brand-new pumps, fittings, and seals, it doesn’t take on a drop of water in the bilge [yet]. Guys with 4 heavy batteries, plus shallow water anchors, plus hydraulic jack plates [which are heavier], plus a full-grown back deck angler often take on water just sitting still, and the obvious and inescapable culprit is the rigging hole in the splashwell area. When I fish offshore on Erie, that rigging hole makes the auto bilge earn its money.

9. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    “Too many penetrations.” That phrasing is funny, Bill, but also very apt and true. My newest Ranger has only been on the water a few times, never in more than a ripple and always with a minimum of other boats to create wakes. Also, I have lithium batteries and no poles or Talons, so this boat sits higher in the stern. With brand-new pumps, fittings, and seals, it doesn’t take on a drop of water in the bilge [yet]. Guys with 4 heavy batteries, plus shallow water anchors, plus hydraulic jack plates [which are heavier], plus a full-grown back deck angler often take on water just sitting still, and the obvious and inescapable culprit is the rigging hole in the splashwell area. When I fish offshore on Erie, that rigging hole makes the auto bilge earn its money.
    I am running 5 batteries (3 lithium) and have all the other heavy stuff you listed. I’m fine with it. I know the water comes in through the holes for the power pole hoses mostly but there is that big cover back there also.

To me a little water isn’t something I am worried about. On a truly flat day and just me fishing, the pump never comes on. But that’s a rare set of circumstances.

-Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.

10. Member
    Ty down hooks on the rear will also leak from cranking down on them too tight chased this one for a while but finally got it not on my Ranger but my old Triton was found after replacing all the hoses and pumps.

11. Member
    I have "penetrations" as well...lol. Brand new boat and the bilge will run every hour or so. Did it since day 1. Didn't really bother me, but will keep this post and start troubleshooting in the spring. I had a hydraulic jack plate put on and just assumed it was coming from the engine mounts, but need to get in there and take a look.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you haven’t done so, Bob, make sure the O-ring on your drain plug is clean and lubricated. Even chapstick works well to help sealing. I’ve also found that the colder the water and ambient temperature, the more likely these are to let a little seepage through.

13. Member
    Thanks John. I was wondering what type of lubricant to use on the drain plug seal. Would Vaseline be a good choice?

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I think it would work well, so long as it doesn’t hold dirt which would affect tight sealing. Something with a bit of silicone in it would be optimal.

15. Bob G's pool boy
    You guys must hate having to fish with the cover on when it rains.

-Haus

16. Member
    Found there was water in the bow compartment when playing with some wiring. Traced it to a loose bow tie down u bolt. Put 2 ton epoxy inside the holes and between plate and boat. We'll see if it helps. Thanks again

17. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Found there was water in the bow compartment when playing with some wiring. Traced it to a loose bow tie down u bolt. Put 2 ton epoxy inside the holes and between plate and boat. We'll see if it helps. Thanks again
    Good find.

-Haus

Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    Thanks John. I was wondering what type of lubricant to use on the drain plug seal. Would Vaseline be a good choice?
    Go to a Pool Supply and get some of the Pump Basket Seal. It's greenish in color and VERY sticky. But it's great !! I have a Remote Drain and I do mine about every 2 months and it works great !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

19. mikesxpress
    The cheesey plastic splash well cover is a common leak issue. Sure fix and it's never leaked again. Glue the 1/8" rubber gasket to 1/8" aluminum.

20. mikesxpress
    Best grease I've found for the drain plug and everything else on the boat including battery terminals.
    Temp range is -45° to 450°. Clear and non-toxic.
    USDA H-I rated. Harbor freight carries it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast