Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jordan lake today

Have any of you ever fished Stockton Lake in Mo? Maybe Grand Lake in OK?

I lol about it as we tried Jordan today. The wind was out of the nw at 15-20 mph. The waves
    was like Stockton lake or Grand lake. Note to self, leave Jordan alone when over 15mph winds.
    no one was able to fish the 64 bridge area. We know we tried and we watched others. Was not
    going to happen. We ran to Ebenizier from the 64 bridge and then back. Not again. Waves was
    coming over the front deck at the bridge with out moving and trying to tie up to bridge. If the 3 of
    the boats didn’t untie there would of been 3 sunken boats. It was bad. I hope everyone was safe
    that was there today.

2. Member
    You are a dedicated man

3. Member
    Glad I had something else to do today.

4. Mike Lamb
    Any lake can get like that around here. Be glad you was not on Kerr or Gaston in the summer with 15 to 20mph. But yes I have been on Grand lake and know how that is.

About 5 years ago I was practicing for Warriors on the Water tournament at Jordan. That morning it was nice out. I put in at Ebenezer ramp and ran to white oak. I was protected by the wind that picked up. When I started to head back I knew i was in trouble. Never seen waves like that on Jordan. When I was able to get back to the ramp. Waves was crashing over the 1st dock and hitting the 2nd dock. I put it on the trailer and was lucky nothing was broke or damaged.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

5. Banned
    Lol I always laugh when people talk about how “rough” jordan gets(or any other inland lake beside buggs). I love those rough as snot days, especially this time of year. If you can’t fish jordan on a 15 mph wind then you need some testosterone injections. I bet y’all also think those were “3-4 footers” go try and make a run up the alligator river on a north/south wind or anywhere across the pamlico …..then you’ll know what real rough water looks like. Jordan doesn’t get rough.

6. Member
    Kb_rn,
    as I continue to try to learn jordan, can I ask why you are enamored of “rough as snot days”? Are you banging shorelines?
    I get it in the summer, but a cold harsh wind can be tough, especially when its cold.
    Thanks,
    Bairn

7. Mike Lamb
    Ok, So where is the alligator river? or pamlico?

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    Lol I always laugh when people talk about how “rough” jordan gets(or any other inland lake beside buggs). I love those rough as snot days, especially this time of year. If you can’t fish jordan on a 15 mph wind then you need some testosterone injections. I bet y’all also think those were “3-4 footers” go try and make a run up the alligator river on a north/south wind or anywhere across the pamlico …..then you’ll know what real rough water looks like. Jordan doesn’t get rough.
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    Kb_rn,
    as I continue to try to learn jordan, can I ask why you are enamored of “rough as snot days”? Are you banging shorelines?
    I get it in the summer, but a cold harsh wind can be tough, especially when its cold.
    Thanks,
    Bairn

in the late fall through early spring…..the wind is your friend. Doesn’t matter where you are. Those cold, snotty, blustery days are much better than when it is 60 degrees, sunny and dead calm. Chances are that if you decide to go you will have the whole lake to yourself and if you can figure out how to catch them you’ll stop staying home on those days. I like it when there is ice in my guides, cloudy, spitting rain/snow, and the wind is howling. In the summer time I would rather it be stinky hot and dead calm.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    Ok, So where is the alligator river? or pamlico?
    Just google it. I was referring to the alligator river in the northeastern part of the state, the pamlico river/sound, albemarle sound and all its tributaries, also the neuse river down around new bern and east of there. That water gets rough. A lot of people just think they know what rough water and “3 footers” are when they’ve never really seen either.
    Last edited by kb_rn; 11-30-2021 at 01:15 PM.

10. Member
    in the late fall through early spring…..the wind is your friend. Doesn’t matter where you are. Those cold, snotty, blustery days are much better than when it is 60 degrees, sunny and dead calm. Chances are that if you decide to go you will have the whole lake to yourself and if you can figure out how to catch them you’ll stop staying home on those days. I like it when there is ice in my guides, cloudy, spitting rain/snow, and the wind is howling. In the summer time I would rather it be stinky hot and dead calm.
    Cheers.
    That’s more info than Eddie has got in a year…

11. Mike Lamb
    So you are saying the Pamlico Sound. Wow that is little different then lake. Hell I have been in waves way bigger then that in the Ocean. You cant compare sound to lakes. And I have seen Jordan with waves high enough to come over the side of the boat. So yes waves get big on any body of water if the wind is there. Try running from Flemingtown with 20mph north wind. I am sure you will see some 3 footers.

Just google it. I was referring to the alligator river in the northeastern part of the state, the pamlico river/sound, albemarle sound and all its tributaries, also the neuse river down around new bern and east of there. That water gets rough. A lot of people just think they know what rough water and “3 footers” are when they’ve never really seen either.
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

12. Member
    Yea everyone knows in the fall, winter and early spring wind is your friend for cranks, spinner baits jerk baits and A rigs.
    I told Mike if I was alone I could do this easy as I agree it was rough but grand lake in 15-20 mph does have 3-4’ rollers. Jordan yesterday had 2’ rollers. I’m not concerned a bit about me but I am concerned for my partner Mike in water like that. He has been out of fishing awhile and I can’t get my boat on top of the waves the way I know I need to because of I got a person with me who I AM responsible for. I do care about the person with me. Maybe you should speak to the other people who was on Jordan yesterday before noon and see how many left. 90% of them left. I could care less about the lakes he was saying or The river. I was on Jordan. His reference I guess was as good as mine about Grand Lake in Ok. When the wind is 20 mph they don’t have tournaments as the lake will kill someone.

funny about the most info I’ve received so far as that’s a str8 forward true statement. I’ll give anyone my locations I find my fish. I’ve not had a single person help me. That’s ok. Thats fishing

13. Member
    We also had water splashing over the front bow of the boat and on the sides. 20mph winds had 2-3’ rollers yesterday all morning long.

14. Banned
    My point was the fact that people think they see 3-4 footers on a small lake like jordan and I can tell you that the only time that happens is when we get 40-50 mph winds from a major storm system, tropical storm or a hurricane. If you get caught in 3-4 foot waves it can be a death defying experience in any sized boat especially if you’ve never been in water like that before and I have more times than I can count, just never on a smaller inland body of water. That NEVER happens on lakes in the Piedmont except under extreme conditions. The mouth of Davidson creek on norman gets a little bumpy on the right wind, and buggs gets bumpy. 15-20 mph winds are not extreme…..that’s what I want to see every time I go in the winter. I don’t fish jordan much any more but I’ve been on it on a dead north 25mph wind and while it was rough for that body of water it was never dangerous.

15. Member
    I didn’t take it you was being anything but opinionated. I still lol at The guy who said you gave more fact or opinion than anyone else lol. That’s so true but talking to people at the ramps the past cpl times has helped me look forward and ahead and not want to give up.

Maybe this year at some point someone with scales can hold an internet tournament for crappie and then again for bass. I’d be in with ol Mike.

16. Member
    What size boat do you have kbrn

17. Member
    Kbrn, I'll was there. I'll put it this way. A center console 21' tied up to 64 bridge . Untied in 10 minutes and was seeking out of wind shelter, and he was guide service. And if you have seen worse conditions. Explain how you move a bass boat across that type of a side wind.

18. Member
    All I'm asking is if you have a short run at say , 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile, where you have to run parallel to wakes. How do you do it.
    Your talking about the sounds, where you are running into or with wind correct.???

19. Member
    I’ve made a run from the neuse /Trent across the Pamlico, to the Pungo. I’ve been on Jordan, Kerr and Gaston! I promise you that any of these lakes can be worse than that run on any given day given conditions. If you feel that running rivers makes you more of an experienced mariner then you Sir are confused!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyt View Post
    I’ve made a run from the neuse /Trent across the Pamlico, to the Pungo. I’ve been on Jordan, Kerr and Gaston! I promise you that any of these lakes can be worse than that run on any given day given conditions. If you feel that running rivers makes you more of an experienced mariner then you Sir are confused!

that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard lately. You didn’t do it on a 10+ north or east wind when you did it. I’ve ran from the south side of the neuse all way around pamlico point across the pamlico to Hyde county but I didn’t do it on a 10+ mph wind or it would’ve either capsized me or would’ve taken all day and night after. I never said a thing about being a more experienced mariner due to my experience in big water but after spending a lifetime on both I can tell you that there is no comparison to how rough those big coastal waters get to a small inland lake like jordan.

And to answer mikeys question about how you do it…..you just take your time and ride at the rate that the wind and waves will allow you. Most people get in trouble when they try to go too fast. I was on some bigger water at the coast once and the wind got up out of nowhere from glassy calm to the gates of hell……it took me 4 hours to travel 2 miles back to the landing due to a caddy cornering side wind that was more head on. I got wet and took some waves over the side a couple times but I took my time and eventually got where I wanted to be. I’ve never experienced that on any inland lake other than lake st clair in michigan(which is like the ocean in itself). But you never hear about hardly anyone capsizing on our inland lakes because it takes a LOT to capsize a boat…..it happens much more regularly at the coast. I would love to see any of you guys reaction to running through REAL 4 footers…..heck even 2.5 footers.
    Last edited by kb_rn; 11-30-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast