2000 Tr-20 Auto Bilge Circuit

Replacing the original equipment auto bilge. Actually replacing all 8 livewell and bilge pumps.

Old auto bilge pump (Attwood) had two (+) and one (-) leads. This pump had not worked in a while.

New pump (Johnson) has 1 (+) and 2 (-).

There are 2 (+) and 1 (-) leads from switch to bilge, which connected to the original pump. Switch has OFF-AUTO-DUAL settings, running both the auto and manual bilge pumps.

Testing the auto bilge leads, with switch in off position, I get continuity between 1 set of (+) and (-), same set produces 12v when switched to Dual. Auto bilge is temp wired to this arrangement.

I would think the auto Bilge would require continuous unswitched power.

Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    These might help: http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2011/07/johnson-bilge-pump-wiring-splained-to.html

https://www.tritonboats.com/content/dam/wrmg-web/triton-boats/manuals/wire-diagram

IAW triton wiring diagram & from my own boat:

12v power from auto bilge fuse located on master cutoff panel to float switch via orange wire w/ green stripe….then from float switch to auto bilge pump via brown wire.

12 v from dash bilge switch (mine is simply on/ off) to both the manual & auto bilge pumps.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    These might help: http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot.com/2011/07/johnson-bilge-pump-wiring-splained-to.html

https://www.tritonboats.com/content/dam/wrmg-web/triton-boats/manuals/wire-diagram

IAW triton wiring diagram & from my own boat:

12v power from auto bilge fuse located on master cutoff panel to float switch via orange wire w/ green stripe….then from float switch to auto bilge pump via brown wire.

12 v from dash bilge switch (mine is simply on/ off) to both the manual & auto bilge pumps.
    \

Thanks, but nothing that shows what I have. I'll need to look upstream, pull the switch and go from there.

The TR20 is not set up for that Johnson pump You may need to go with the Attwood bilge pump. I think you would have to set the Johnson pump to switch one of the (-) leads, One of the (-) leads would go direct to the battery as well as the (+) lead and the other to (-) lead through the switch.
    It would help us if you gave us the model # of the Johnson pump as well as the Attwood pump.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    The TR20 is not set up for that Johnson pump You may need to go with the Attwood bilge pump. I think you would have to set the Johnson pump to switch one of the (-) leads, One of the (-) leads would go direct to the battery as well as the (+) lead and the other to (-) lead through the switch.
    It would help us if you gave us the model # of the Johnson pump as well as the Attwood pump.

Interesting; I can see the potential logic of the switch as a relay. Currently all 3 wires are routed to the switch.

The Attwood auto bilge was OEM, 21 years in a dark wet place. I did not save it when removed, and it was not working.

The Johnson is a 07503-00 Ultima Combo 500 GPH 12V.

I'm replacing all 8 pumps (2 livewell, 2 recirc, 2 pump out, 2 bilge) at once with the johnson cartridges.

I replaced 4 of the 8 pumps on my Triton a few years ago (2 recirc and 2 pump out). I dropped the ball and they froze. I replaced using the same models of Attwood Tsunami pumps that I removed. I cut the connector off of the old pumps and soldered/heat shrunk to the new pumps.

I know you're in Florida and your pumps won't freeze but for the guys up north, I now religiously pump RV antifreeze through all livewell and bilge pumps when winterizing. Replacing the livewell pumps was a pain as I had to removed the bilge plate, one battery, the oil reservoir and the back hatch just to hang upside down to work on them.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    Installation instructions clearly identify the fliat/ pump combo to have 2 (+) wires and 1 (-) wire.

One Auto bilge pump lead requires unswitched 12v power thru float switch…..with 5 amp breaker…..and triton often mounts this breaker on the master cutoff switch panel in bilge (note: the auto bilge lead is on the constant hot terminal of master cutoff switch).

https://www.spxflow.com/assets/pdf/JPM_UltimaCombo_EU_52273JP-R01_IB-120-R07.pdf
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Installation instructions clearly identify the fliat/ pump combo to have 2 (+) wires and 1 (-) wire.

One Auto bilge pump lead requires unswitched 12v power thru float switch…..with 5 amp breaker…..and triton often mounts this breaker on the master cutoff switch panel in bilge (note: the auto bilge lead is on the constant hot terminal of master cutoff switch).

https://www.spxflow.com/assets/pdf/JPM_UltimaCombo_EU_52273JP-R01_IB-120-R07.pdf
    Those instructions are much more than comes in the box. Thats for sure. Thanks.

While the wiring diagrams show 3 wire, it is a 2 wire pump. I can easily wire directly to 12 v source to enable automatic operation, if desired, negating the dash switch.

Or I may need to go with a 3 wire Attwood like Danrude indicated.

And as Bob G said, its a very difficult job. I cannot imagine what a marine mechanic would charge.

9. Member
    If you have the combo the Pump has 2 wires (brown & black) and the float switch has 3 wires (brown, brown w/ red stripe, snd black).

Review the 1st link in my 1st post…..IMHO this is a DIY job.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Member
    Issue Resolved.

The best instructions for the auto bilge are printed on the back of the box; Instructions within box are less than perfect, and in multiple languages.

My problem was I did not have the box; I got most of the pumps in like new condition but without boxes or instructions.

Dash Switch has brown (switched +), black (-), and brown with white (+). The brown with white is barely discernable.

Had to rewire the pump from factory settings. Brown wire (+) from pump float switch to pump motor was cut and spliced to brown lead from dash switch (switched power).

Black to black (-), then brown with white (+) from dash switch to brown with red on pump float (+).

11. Member
    Original pump had two brown wires in one that tied to an ORG/GRN from a 5 amp fuse at the main switch that was hot all the time and one from the switch leg an ORN/BRN that tied to a BRN turned on both on both bilge pumps and one black wire out. Float was inside the auto pump bilge pump