Correct way to fix this chafed wire

Model # :E225DHLSCF
    Serial # :05221394

A month or so ago my 08 225 threw a code 17, and I found a chafed wire in the attached picture. It's the yellow wire coming off the stator. The actual metal in the wire appeared to be in good shape, but there was that darkened bit next to the chafing. I'm pretty sure the flywheel cover wore through the insulation as this is exactly where the cover could contact the wire. I filled in the damage with liquid electrical tape to match the existing insulation thickness and put some tape around the wires to keep the cover from causing any more damage. No issues on two trips out, but I had some running problems and threw the code again on my last trip out. The problems only occurred at high RPMs (close to WOT).

My question is did I incorrectly fix this wire? I'm thinking a trip to the shop is likely in order, but wanted to ask first. I appreciate any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

2. Member
    This is the meaning of code 1755 V circuit BELOW range
    55 V alternator output < 45 V at 500 to 1000 RPM, or < 52 V above 1000 RPM. Engine limited to 1200 RPM. Perform stator/charging tests.
    The chafed wire is not likely the cause.
    the big blue capacitor and connections should be checked as well as flywheel magnets position.

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply. Been a busy month, finally got time to look into it more last week. None of the flywheel magnets were dislodged or broken from what I could see. I did not remove the flywheel, just looked at them from above. Should an issue with the magnets be visually obvious?

Took the capacitor off and found deterioration of the positive connection, picture attached. It was a little dirty in the boot, but it was not the wet oily mess like a leaking capacitor caused last year. My multimeter showed the capacitor resistance starting at zero and slowly increasing, so I understand that indicated the capacitor should be good.

I've done the stator resistance test which tested OK. I don't have the equipment to run the other stator test nor the charging tests.

I can replace that connection in the picture. In your opinion, should I take the boat for the rest of the stator/charging tests? Or could that connection be the cause? I would describe my running issues as not having all of the power I should have near WTO, but that it was running fine at lower rpms.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Those wires are damaged but of course you know that. They need to be stripped back far enough to get to where the conductor is not discolored, you will probably have to add new marine grade wire, and replace the capacitor if that's where they attach.

5. Member
    Are you sure this is deterioration vs burned/overheat? The crimp terminal looks non conductive

6. Member
    Deterioration may not have been the best word to use. Burned/overheat is the better description. That is absolutely burned heat shrink.

Looking back at my old pictures, I did myself a disservice by not replacing that terminal when I replaced the capacitor. I'll get that wiring fixed.