Need some help rub rail ?

F0339A5E-8C40-4B46-9631-9A6F0E4ABBC5.png

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving. I have been defeated and need some help. Rub rail is coming loose by gas caps. I took off passenger plastic siding, looked at fiberglass in battery compartment and the screws come inward from rub rail. My other board were different in my life. I would be grateful for any advice on how to tighten. Thanks.

2. Member
    You remove the rub rail insert and then you can tighten the screws. The insert starts at the transom. It is good practice to remove each screw and coat the screw with Loctite or 3M 4200 so they don't blackout in the future.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    You remove the rub rail insert and then you can tighten the screws. The insert starts at the transom. It is good practice to remove each screw and coat the screw with Loctite or 3M 4200 so they don't blackout in the future.
    Big thanks!!! I have been wanting to take my seats out and stuff anyway. Lol. Makes total sense now look at transom area.

4. Member
    This became a regular deal on my last boat. Got to the point where some screws were stripped out and would not hold. If you run into that situation then you can just fill the hole(s) and drill another. Removing that insert is easy. As mentioned start from the transom by removing the plastic cap and work your way around. When putting it back in, I use a heat gun and do about 3' at a time. Without the heat, it can be a bear to put back in.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    This became a regular deal on my last boat. Got to the point where some screws were stripped out and would not hold. If you run into that situation then you can just fill the hole(s) and drill another. Removing that insert is easy. As mentioned start from the transom by removing the plastic cap and work your way around. When putting it back in, I use a heat gun and do about 3' at a time. Without the heat, it can be a bear to put back in.
    Really good advice here. ^ And like a lot of processes, doing it well the first time often helps to reduce iterations down the road. “Well” in this case being at least using some type of sealant on the screws when re-installing, and not over-tightening.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    GTG. Thanks again.