Upgrading From Lowrance HDS Gen 3 to Lowrance Carbon - Questions?

I am upgrading from two (2) Lowrance HDS Gen 3 Touch units (One 12" and one 9") to all new Lowrance Carbon units. I will be selling my HDS Gen 3 units (12" and 9") and I will be advertising them in the BBC "Classified" section very soon. I am currently using a Structure Scan 3D transducer. I plan on keeping my Structure Scan 3D module and I will be using ethernet to link the new Carbon units. The new Carbon units come with a Lowrance 3 in 1 transducer.

1. Is the Lowrance 3 in 1 transducer better than the Lowrance Structure Scan 3D transducer?
    2. Can I use a microSD card to transfer all of my sonar settings from my HDS Gen 3 Touch units to the Carbon units, or should I manually set up all of the sonar settings in each of the new Carbon units?
    3. Are the gimble mounts for the HDS Gen 3 units the same size as the gimble mounts for the Lowrance Carbon units? Specifically the 12" and the 9" units?

Any helpful information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Member
    1. No. Keep the StructureScan 3D and buy the Carbon without the transducer.
    2. You can, but don't. Start new. You will learn your units better starting over, and you have more and better options you should learn how to use. You also do not want to perpetuate any bugs or errors from your Gen 3 units onto the new Carbons.
    3. As I recall, they are the same size.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Agree with Marc. Get the console Carbon with no transducer. Then purchase a Skimmer or pod type 2D transducer. The two Carbons will Ethernet through your Structure module. The 3D is way better than AI. For the bow, you can use the AI that comes with the Carbon if you can find a way to mount it.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Well well well.....
    Had the 3d and dumped it for the 3n1. I'm happy too. Guess my opinion differs
    Gimbals are the same
    Settings wont transfer

5. Member
    Marc,

Thanks for the information. I have a few more questions.
    1) Will the Structure Scan 3D transducer provide any imaging other than down imaging, side imaging and 3D imaging?
    2) Will the Structure Scan 3D transducer provide any 2D sonar imaging, or will I need a separate transducer for 2D sonar images? It is my understanding that the Structure Scan 3D transducer does not provide 2D sonar imaging. Am I correct?

I have a Minn Kota Ultrex and I'm using the built in Generic 83/200 KHZ transducer at the bow for 2D sonar on the bow unit. I'm using a HST-WSBL transducer at the transom for 2D sonar at the console unit. I am am currently getting very good images using these transducers on HDS GEN 3 Touch units that I am replacing. I don't want to fix what isn't broke and is working. Do you have any recommendations regarding my current 2D transducer set up?

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by Higgy507; 11-30-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: correction needed

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgy507 View Post
    Marc,

Thanks for the information. I have a few more questions.
    1) Will the Structure Scan 3D transducer provide any imaging other than down imaging, side imaging and 3D imaging?
    2) Will the Structure Scan 3D transducer provide any 2D sonar imaging, or will I need a separate transducer for 2D sonar images? It is my understanding that the Structure Scan 3D transducer does not provide 2D sonar imaging. Am I correct?

I have a Minn Kota Ultrex and I'm using the built in Generic 83/200 KHZ transducer at the bow for 2D sonar on the bow unit. I'm using a HST-WSBL transducer at the transom for 2D sonar at the console unit. I am am currently getting very good images using these transducers on HDS GEN 3 Touch units that I am replacing. I don't want to fix what isn't broke and is working. Do you have any recommendations regarding my current 2D transducer set up?

Thanks again for your help!
    Your understanding is correct. The 3D StructureScan does NOT contain a 2D sonar element; it is strictly SideScan, DownScan, with 3D Image capability. Since you are getting good images with your transom mounted HST-WBL there is no need to change it from a "location" standpoint, but if you installed it at the same time as your Gen 3 unit then it is likely weaker with the age. If you are ever unhappy with image I would not hesitate to replace it with a new transducer so you get the full power your new HDS unit provides. Another option would be to install a shoot thru the hull transducer in the sump of your boat if it is fiberglass and keep the older one on the transom for a spare.
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Your understanding is correct. The 3D StructureScan does NOT contain a 2D sonar element; it is strictly SideScan, DownScan, with 3D Image capability. Since you are getting good images with your transom mounted HST-WBL there is no need to change it from a "location" standpoint, but if you installed it at the same time as your Gen 3 unit then it is likely weaker with the age. If you are ever unhappy with image I would not hesitate to replace it with a new transducer so you get the full power your new HDS unit provides. Another option would be to install a shoot thru the hull transducer in the sump of your boat if it is fiberglass and keep the older one on the transom for a spare.

Thanks again Marc!

I appreciate your response.

Ray Higginbotham