Towing w/ Yukon XL or Sierra 1500 so which one should I go with?

I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize, however I couldn't find a post close enough to what I'm asking. Also, I am only considering these 2 models so please consider that as last time I was asking about something else years ago I got "go with the Ford 150" or "Try the Toyota as it has blah blah blah." I'm not looking for suggestions on what vehicle in general just which of these 2 that I will choose from.

Quick Details

Trail Ranger z521 with tandem axle trailer; I travel 75mi one way and back 16 trips (every weekend in summer) and 190mi. each way twice to St. Clair, and 1 trip to Okeechobee 1200mi each way each year. I live in the Cleveland area so lots of snow and thus 4x4 is necessary.

Total weight of rig w/ gas @3600lb + trailer weight around 950lb. Total less than 5,000lb gross total for both.

I know both will tow as I've owned both, however I've never owned a pick-up in winter as I only had the Sierra when I lived in Florida. If I go with another Sierra will I need to weigh it down with sand in winter? Will it be as stable as the Yukon in winter weather?

Will I be bouncing around or "feeling" the boat like I did in my 1997 Sierra 1500? I know there has been enhancements in the last 20+ years in suspension technology and I didn't like the truck feel back then. I know my Yukon doesn't feel that way at all. It doesn't have a truck feel to it.

Lastly, how is gas mileage when towing on the Sierra? With my Yukon I can town at 13.1mpg. I will not go with diesel so please keep that in mind as I'm still considering the 5.3L and 6.2 the Denali has.

Any other pros/cons please feel free to comment.

Thank you for any comments you may have.
    Daryl

2. Member
    Get the 6.2 and don't look back cause you sure won't have to with that towing beast !

3. Member
    6.2 runs premium and only come with a small gas tank.

Premium recommended but not needed. I have the Yukon xl 6.2. best ride I have ever had. Tows great and mpg are real good.

5.3 will pull that boat easy. 6.2 wll just do it faster.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    So is there any advantage of going with a Sierra (with either engine)? Never had an issue with my Suburban or Yukon XL so I know I'm safe with those. But will the newer Sierra 1500 give the same type of ride/performance opposed to the Suburban/Yukon XL? I noticed that I can get more for my money getting a Sierra (with the market what it is right now). So if I can save money, have a nice ride and get a newer model year vehicle then why not? I've been researching and I can get a 2019 Sierra for the same price as a 2016 Suburban/Yukon XL w/ the options or relatively the same options.
    Daryl

7. Member
    6.2 a beast. I have one in a Denali truck. I tow a 520L dont even feel it back there . no more lugging down on hills and can get 14.7mpg while towing as long as I keep my foot out of it.
    I would never own another truck without it.

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info. Last night I went and got the Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L. Now it's going to be a little while as Ohio weather isn't really that nice to get out on Erie at the moment (or in the next 5 months) but February is my annual trip down to Okeechobee so I'll definitely give it a long test drive with the boat when I can't stand the snow and cold in February any more. Of course I could already feel the difference between the 5.3L I had in my Suburban just driving it home from the dealer last night so I'll be excited to see how it feels with the boat on the back. Actually come to think of it I have to take the boat up for some touch up stuff, minor annoyances everyone who has a boat goes through to my boat wizard so I'll see how it goes next week when I do that. Thanks for the info everyone, it definitely helped me decide to go with the bigger motor instead of another 5.3L YukonXL. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's all!
    Daryl

Now get a Range to deactivate the thing from going down to4 cylinders. Buy right from range free updates if ever needed. Best thing I ever did. Didn't really hurt the mpg either.

10. Member
    You'll have to excuse me but I'm not sure what you're referring to. What is a Range? Some sort of chip or accessory like a bully dog?
    Daryl

11. Member
    Get the 6.2 for sure, my dad has one In his GMC Denali and it is very impressive, and that's coming from a Ford guy. Far better than Ford's 3.5 Ecoboost and it gets about the same MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwas View Post
    You'll have to excuse me but I'm not sure what you're referring to. What is a Range? Some sort of chip or accessory like a bully dog?
    It's a brand name. Plug it into the computer port to deactivate the mode for cylinder reduction and stop start. Order right from them and if any updates are ever needed the will do it free. Works great

13. Scraps
    I ran a 2011 Yukon for 100k+ miles and that was a fantastic tow vehicle. All I did was had the engine and tranny tuned to cutout the AFM and make the 6-spd tranny bearable to drive. After that it was great. More than enough power and a really nice vehicle. I got about the same mileage 13ish when towing.
    Last edited by krindgen; 12-23-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    "Will I be bouncing around or "feeling" the boat like I did in my 1997 Sierra 1500? "
    Tires can make a difference too. BF Goodrich Load range E All Terrain in my opinion run smoother with the boat hooked up. Just run them at recommended tire pressure for vehicle. I have a 1998 Sierra ExCab rides perfect with those tires. I had 3 sets to date. I only get 10 MPG towing. Diesels are great until you have problems then it expensive and all savings are gone is my concern.

15. Member
    Not sure what the Yukon or Tahoe has now for shocks. I had an air ride system with a compressor.....big pain in the butt! It costs your 1st born when the boots wear out on the rear shocks.....never again if I were to buy one.

The truck would be fine, but I would stay with the yukon for comfort if you had to nap at a rest area or ramp.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115