Aldebaran, Metanium, Metanium DC, or Zillion G

I have never owned any of these reels, but I’m looking for a reel that I will be using to throw 1/4 - 3/8 oz swim jigs, 3/8 - 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and jackhammers, 3/8 - 1/2 squarebills, and maybe some other things in that 1/4 - 1/2 oz range. I’m looking for accuracy over distance. I’ve got a Scorpion DC and a Tatula SV TW, so I’m familiar with the DC casting system as well as the T-Wing and SV spool. I really don’t like having to fine tune the brakes every time I change baits, if any of these reels are that finicky.

2. Member
    The Aldebaran is more of a finesse reel. Toss up between the other three.

3. Member
    I have the Zillion G, had the Aldebaran, 2016 Metanium and (I am assuming you mean the old version, rather than the current one?!) and have heard lots of things about the Metanium DC.

They are all great reels, but out the one mentioned, I am not sure if there is a clear winner..

The Aldebaran is too finesse, as ThomasD already mentioned.

The 2016 Metanium MGL is just not sturdy enough, lots of gear problems. One of the reasons why I sold mine.

Metanium DC is better, but has similar gear issues and since you want to use it for higher resistance baits, I would stay away from it as well. Also the reel is fairly old and the DC system is also a bit outdated.

Zillion G is great reel, but struggles with lighter lures (especially the 1/4 swim jig will be a struggle).

I would suggest you to look into the latest Metanium MGL 150 B or a Calcutta Conquest 100 size reel (which is the same money as the Metanium DC). See here: https://digitaka.com/item/5/4/2/4969363042323

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    I have the Zillion G, had the Aldebaran, 2016 Metanium and (I am assuming you mean the old version, rather than the current one?!) and have heard lots of things about the Metanium DC.

They are all great reels, but out the one mentioned, I am not sure if there is a clear winner..

The Aldebaran is too finesse, as ThomasD already mentioned.

The 2016 Metanium MGL is just not sturdy enough, lots of gear problems. One of the reasons why I sold mine.

Metanium DC is better, but has similar gear issues and since you want to use it for higher resistance baits, I would stay away from it as well. Also the reel is fairly old and the DC system is also a bit outdated.

Zillion G is great reel, but struggles with lighter lures (especially the 1/4 swim jig will be a struggle).

I would suggest you to look into the latest Metanium MGL 150 B or a Calcutta Conquest 100 size reel (which is the same money as the Metanium DC). See here: https://digitaka.com/item/5/4/2/4969363042323
    Sounds like you need to try a '20 model Metanium. I liked mine so much it morphed into 5 more.

5. Member
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was referring to the newest models on all the Shimano reels. I know the Aldebaran is a more finesse reel, but I have seen the guys from Tactical Bassin’ talk about it as though it’s fully capable of handling mid-sized baits.

6. Member
    Also, I thought the SV spool on the Zillion G made it a great reel for lighter baits? I know my Tatula SV casts a 1/4 oz swim jig (with a trailer) fine.

7. Member
    I own or have owned all of these in the most current models. I also probably would not choose the aldebaran for this job. I’m sure it would work But would only choose it if I was trying to balance out a particular rod with the lightest of reels. I sold all of my Metanium DC‘s after I bought my first 2020 Metanium MGL. I now own five and it is my favorite reel of all time. I have recently purchased and use the new zillion G SV. I absolutely love it (bought a 2nd) and respectfully disagree that it cannot handle light stuff. I think it handles it great. I use the zillions specifically in super windy conditions where I would otherwise use the Metaniums.

I would go with either the Metanium or the Zillion G. Handle them both if you’re able and see which one feels best. Lastly, And I know this one isn’t in your selections, I would consider the new Curado MGL 70. I absolutely love this reel, it’s tough as nails and with the MGL spool throws the lights stuff with insane ease.

my $.02

matt
    -Matt

8. Member
    Matt, thanks so much for your insight. I’ll take the Aldebaran and Met DC off my list and focus on the Met MGL and Zillion G. Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere around me that would carry both, so I’ll just have to roll the dice and get one. Sounds like I’ll be happy either way. Hadn’t thought about the Curado 70 MGL but I’ll take a look and maybe add it as well.

I was out today throwing the Zillion G with a 1/4 oz. swim jig + trailer on 12# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai on the 21 Steez AGS 7'2" Medium Moving Bait Versatile and it was an excellent combo for this application. Distance was not an issue, nor was control in the wind. I switched over to a DT-10 and a Rock Crawler and was equally as pleased with the performance of the combo.

10. Member
    Thanks for your input Gary. I’m leaning towards the Zillion G right now simply because I’ve had better success with the Daiwa reels getting them dialed in. I had a Chronarch MGL two years ago that I just could never seem to get dialed in right, and that has me hesitating on getting the Metanium. But I also don’t think I’ve heard a single bad thing about the new Metaniums, so I don’t want to count that reel out either. As usual, if I go with the Zillion G I’ll be getting it from you guys. Wish you sold Shimano too.

11. Member
    I've had 3 2020 mets, the new JDM zillion (aluminum gears) and USDM G version with the brass gears.

Comparing the two, while subjective, what I liked/noticed about each are:

Met:
    -Love the way it palms for my smaller hands, it sits a little higher than the zillion but has a very small purchase and can get my index finger under the nose of the reel (perfect for jigging)
    -Spool startup is a little quicker than the zillion so you may be a little more accurate with the lighter weighs on your listed range
    -Great distance casting without needing to bomb cast it

Zillion:
    -Smooth, very smooth on the retrieve, step up over the met, nearing conquest/steez ct level smooth
    -Durability, all 3 mets started losing that new feel very quickly, the zillions have been completely solid after lots of fish
    -Can get the same overall distance as the met but took more effort to do it, not as good at pitching lighter baits but 3/8 on up it does well
    -Clicking drag is a fun feature.

I really enjoyed the mets but them loosing their initial smoothness so quickly was a bit irritating, the rest of the qualities we spot on for what I was after.

The zillions have just been 100% solid, even after pulling in a lot of bass out of the weeds, a random 15lb catfish that chomped my senko they are as smooth as they were out of the box.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    I've had 3 2020 mets, the new JDM zillion (aluminum gears) and USDM G version with the brass gears.

Comparing the two, while subjective, what I liked/noticed about each are:

Met:
    -Love the way it palms for my smaller hands, it sits a little higher than the zillion but has a very small purchase and can get my index finger under the nose of the reel (perfect for jigging)
    -Spool startup is a little quicker than the zillion so you may be a little more accurate with the lighter weighs on your listed range
    -Great distance casting without needing to bomb cast it

Zillion:
    -Smooth, very smooth on the retrieve, step up over the met, nearing conquest/steez ct level smooth
    -Durability, all 3 mets started losing that new feel very quickly, the zillions have been completely solid after lots of fish
    -Can get the same overall distance as the met but took more effort to do it, not as good at pitching lighter baits but 3/8 on up it does well
    -Clicking drag is a fun feature.

I really enjoyed the mets but them loosing their initial smoothness so quickly was a bit irritating, the rest of the qualities we spot on for what I was after.

The zillions have just been 100% solid, even after pulling in a lot of bass out of the weeds, a random 15lb catfish that chomped my senko they are as smooth as they were out of the box.
    I very much appreciate all the great info. This is what I was hoping to find, someone who has owned multiple of the reels mentioned and can compare them. I think what you said has solidified my stance on getting the Zillion G (I think I'll get the USDM version for durability reasons).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I very much appreciate all the great info. This is what I was hoping to find, someone who has owned multiple of the reels mentioned and can compare them. I think what you said has solidified my stance on getting the Zillion G (I think I'll get the USDM version for durability reasons).
    I have no horse in this race, but for what it’s worth my Metaniums are holding up great and I beat the hell out of them. And, if someone told me I could only have zillions instead of Metaniums I would not be sad. Both fantastic and durable.
    -Matt

14. Member
    any updates to this thread with more insight recently...as reels have been out longer.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

15. Member
    Zillion g for sure. I have zero issues getting great distance with baits that are 1/4oz

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguyone View Post
    any updates to this thread with more insight recently...as reels have been out longer.
    Others can add their experiences, but I decided to go with the Zillion G and it's been a great reel so far after several months of use. It casts effortlessly and is the smoothest reel I've ever owned. I've used straight braid, braid-to-leader, and straight flourocarbon on it and it handles the straight braid and straight flouro like a champ. I have to watch how long I make a leader on the braid-to-flouro because that T-Wing system does not like to pass the connection knot well. That said, I don't use an FG knot so anyone that does may not have any issues with the connection knot passing through the T-Wing. I have thrown a wide variety of baits on the reel but almost exclusively moving baits. I haven't used it to pitch soft plastics so I can't comment on how well it pitches, but I can't imagine it doesn't do that well since I've used the Tatula SV TW to pitch and it does great. I feel like the Zillion is just a smoother, more refined version of the Tatula SV. Overall I'm very happy with the reel I chose.