Throttle cable for Hot Foot

I'm installing a hot foot on a 2019 ranger Z520C. The engine is a merc v8 pro xs four stroke. I have read to measure the length of the throttle cable then add two-three feet. I have also read that some people leave the existing throttle cable so that in case anything goes wrong with the hot foot throttle, they can swap them out for a quick on-the-water fix. I have two questions.

1. Is it advisable to leave the existing throttle cable in place?
    2. What length throttle cable do I need to connect the hot foot?

motor serial- 2B586794

2. Member
    Ranger builds boats every day with a hot so call your dealer or Ranger for the length. Having the old cable in place should not be a problem as long as the motor end is positioned under the splash well where it won't interfere with anything. Remember that a dealer tech will need to set the throttle stops for idle and WOT with the computer diagnostic system. I like a top load pedal installation.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do not recommend leaving the old cable in place, unless it can be strapped somewhere in the boat where it's GUARANTEED that nothing will contact or bind on the moving end. If something DOES, it will cause the control to bind, and you may not be able to get the control out of gear!

Best choice is to remove the old cable completely, and install a new cable of the correct Generation and Length for your hotfoot. Generation depends on WHAT hotfoot you used, and length is USUALLY 3' longer (note that it is easier to hide 9-12" of extra cable than it is to connect one that's even 1" too short).

Strongly recommend the OEM/Mercury PLATINUM cables as your best option (some aftermarkets are close, but we've found they tend to have over-sized holes in the engine-end, resulting in "slop"). You do NOT want any lost travel with your 4-stroke.

FINAL SETUP MUST BE DONE UTILIZING G3 DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM TO CONFIRM DEMAND LINEAR IS REACHING 100% CONSISTENTLY (as well as idle consistently).

Also: SB 2019-010 should be addressed by an Authorized Dealer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    You're the man, Don! Thank you for the tip. I talked to the Pro Choice Marine, the original dealer, and they told me to go with a 17 ft gen 1 premium cable. Do you think that is a good cable recommendation? From what I understand, the install is pretty simple. provided I have them do the final set up, I should be good to go, right?

Also, I added the SB 2019-010 issue to my to do list for when I take it in to get the ranger warranty transferred.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would defer to their length recommendation (as I don't have access to your boat). They certainly should know.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor