Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Float a senko off the back weightless and t-rigged.

2. Member
    It is clear that some most of y'all have never fished off a pontoon. I spent several years bass fishing off my grandfather's pontoon.They are larger, draft more water, and get pushed in the wind more but that is it. At their core all a boat does is serve as a platform. Take the top off and make sure there are no walls around the front of the boat and it is a superior platform when compared to a bass boat as long as the size and draft does not come into play.

I have never fished any of the regular tournament circuits that allowed pontoon or "barge type" boats, so you should definitely look into that first.

4. Member
    Have CO bring more gas money.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    I have fished as a co angler and whatever boat I draw is what I fish in.

So, yes I would go fishing and enjoy the day.

I have a very hard time believing that if you paid $100.00 or more to enter a next level tourney and your draw was a pontoon boat, you'd be a happy camper.

ESPECIALLY if you were in the points chase as a non boater. This isn't about just you, it's very much about the person sharing your boat.

A tournament is about WINNING, it's a contest, no payouts for just having fun. This is an EXPENSIVE sport and to play requires you to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. The rules to deny boats like a pontoon are there for a reason.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2112 View Post
    So what if the boater showed up in a 32 year old dual console boat that only had a 150hp on it?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1147874&p=12115580&highlight=#pos t12115580
    Ever hear of a "resto-mod" in the car world?

I've done that to my boat.

My 31 year old Champion has spent it's entire life as a tournament boat in this region. It's got hydraulic steering, hydraulic jack plate, Garmin livescope on the bow, Stryker 9 on the dash. Minnkota Fortrex 36V trolling motor. Merc Smartcraft gauge to monitor the 2017 Merc ProXS 150, updated aeration system in the live wells, Keelguard, and so much more. My Garmin trolling motor and lithium batteries are on order right now.

It's a PROVEN competitive platform. It runs 65mph with a full tourney load. Champion wrote the book on building boats for both speed and rough water handling.

So other boats are newer, some are bigger in size and horsepower, some can outrun me, but in the end, they can't do a damn thing more than my Champion can. Horsepower and speed don't mean a damn thing when at any given point, somebody has a newer, faster boat. Experience taught me decades ago, you don't catch fish unless your lure is in the water.

Fact is the smaller size allows me to get into places larger boats can't.

Before you start trying to demean older boats, or cars, you better damn well know ALL the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrider55 View Post
    I have a very hard time believing that if you paid $100.00 or more to enter a next level tourney and your draw was a pontoon boat, you'd be a happy camper.

ESPECIALLY if you were in the points chase as a non boater. This isn't about just you, it's very much about the person sharing your boat.

A tournament is about WINNING, it's a contest, no payouts for just having fun. This is an EXPENSIVE sport and to play requires you to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. The rules to deny boats like a pontoon are there for a reason.
    Next level tournament ?

8. Member
    Ever hear of a "resto-mod" in the car world?

I've done that to my boat.

My 31 year old Champion has spent it's entire life as a tournament boat in this region. It's got hydraulic steering, hydraulic jack plate, Garmin livescope on the bow, Stryker 9 on the dash. Minnkota Fortrex 36V trolling motor. Merc Smartcraft gauge to monitor the 2017 Merc ProXS 150, updated aeration system in the live wells, Keelguard, and so much more. My Garmin trolling motor and lithium batteries are on order right now.

It's a PROVEN competitive platform. It runs 65mph with a full tourney load. Champion wrote the book on building boats for both speed and rough water handling.

So other boats are newer, some are bigger in size and horsepower, some can outrun me, but in the end, they can't do a damn thing more than my Champion can. Horsepower and speed don't mean a damn thing when at any given point, somebody has a newer, faster boat. Experience taught me decades ago, you don't catch fish unless your lure is in the water.

Fact is the smaller size allows me to get into places larger boats can't.

Before you start trying to demean older boats, or cars, you better damn well know ALL the facts.
    Thanks for proving my point. You are quick to criticize other people’s boats but God forbid someone criticize yours.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Next level tournament ?
    Pretty much anything that moves beyond just your local lakes or bass clubs. Could include qualification thru a division where then one fishes in a championship tourney against those from other divisions. These are the real proving grounds for those who aspire to be full time sponsored pro's in the MLF/BASS arena. Definitely going to involve quite a bit of travel and over night stays in motels.

10. Banned
    Thanks for proving my point. You are quick to criticize other people’s boats but God forbid someone criticize yours.

You attempt to compare a pontoon against a bass boat for fishing tournaments.

The internet has all kinds...

nuff said.

11. Member
    if you bought it to fish tournaments out of you might as well put a grill an fridge an sell snacks to the other folks on the lake that are more committed than you are.

12. Member
    You attempt to compare a pontoon against a bass boat for fishing tournaments.

The internet has all kinds...

nuff said.
    Am I supposed to consider this a “resto-mod” or “next level” response?
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

13. Banned
    Am I supposed to consider this a “resto-mod” or “next level” response?
    Either one of them would appear to be above your IQ level.

14. Member
    Either one of them would appear to be above your IQ level.
    Because hurling insults is the highest form of intelligence.
    Last edited by USMC2112; 11-30-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

15. Banned
    Because hurling insults is the highest form of intelligence.
    YOU hijacked the thread, not me.

I took my comment as an insult, I just stated my opinion.

Every Marine I've known, and I know a few coming from a military family and having served in the USN during Nam, aren't so easily triggered by differences of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    if you bought it to fish tournaments out of you might as well put a grill an fridge an sell snacks to the other folks on the lake that are more committed than you are.

17. Member
    Ok, I'm going to respond to this question with a couple of questions. Type of lake and time of year can make a huge difference in this situation.
    If the lake is full of docks and fishing around docks is required, I'm probably going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if fishing banks that are easily navigated, or fishing offshore structure then this could be OK. Another factor is lake size and potential to cover large areas. Lost time running around in a pontoon that runs 35-45mph is not ideal.
    To keep things in perspective here, I have tournament fished 30+ years and currently own a Ranger Z520L and a Ranger Reata 223FC pontoon (equipped for fishing similar to the op's).

18. Banned
    This is going to be a great thread, a lot of people taking things personal

Quote Originally Posted by wbfishon View Post
    Ok, I'm going to respond to this question with a couple of questions. Type of lake and time of year can make a huge difference in this situation.
    If the lake is full of docks and fishing around docks is required, I'm probably going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if fishing banks that are easily navigated, or fishing offshore structure then this could be OK. Another factor is lake size and potential to cover large areas. Lost time running around in a pontoon that runs 35-45mph is not ideal.
    To keep things in perspective here, I have tournament fished 30+ years and currently own a Ranger Z520L and a Ranger Reata 223FC pontoon (equipped for fishing similar to the op's).
    (1) mine is a 223F , hahaha
    (2) making a bologna sandwich at 45 + mph !!!!!
    (3) I will have to deal with wind .
    (4) Had a 250 SHO on last boat and seldom went above 50 mph .
    (5) I will start back fishing some tournaments at Sinclair that I can fish by myself , only one person will be disappointed when I get 5 for 71/2 lbs .

YOU hijacked the thread, not me.
    I disagree. I think you hijacked the OP's thread which btw he was asking for opinions on fishing a tournament out of a pontoon. You turned it into a my boat is just as good as your boat even though it's old. I don't see where a post about spending a lot of money on an older boat has anything to do with fishing a tournament out of a pontoon boat. Just my opinion which don't mean much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast