Accessory Switch Confusion

So I've got 3 accessory switches. One at the console and two up front (one on each side). The switches at the front each only have one orange w/ black stripe wire going to them. They lead back into the harness and presumably go to the console switch because it has a two orange w/black stripes going to the front from it.

Each switch at the front has 4 posts on the back but the orange and black is the only wire on it. Additionally, each side has a black wire and a red wire that goes nowhere from it. They are clipped off. Should these wires attach to the switches? Pics for reference:

20211128_103117.jpg

20211128_105804.jpg

2. Member
    I know there's a lot of variation in boats and it's hard telling where the wires up front go. Is there a way to measure some current or resistance to figure out which wires up front correspondence to which wires at the back?

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Orange is generally protected power, meaning it’s fed through a breaker or fuse.

The first thing I’d try is to measure voltage from the orange/black wire at the console to a cranking battery ground. Black wire on a courtesy light would be a good spot to find ground. Be sure the master switch is on. If it shows 12V power, see if it goes off with the master.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    So that would take care of the power to the switch then right? So are the other posts on the switch just reserved for optional accessory I could wire in myself?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee102 View Post
    So that would take care of the power to the switch then right? So are the other posts on the switch just reserved for optional accessory I could wire in myself?
    That’s generally the way they come from the factory.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Thanks! So now I just need to figure out what the red and black wires that i have that's snipped off on each side goes to.

7. Member
    JayCee. You might try to get a wiring diagram for your boat. Post the year/make and model and someone may already know the answer to your question. I suggest this as a boat is usually a tough place to trace wiring. That's why so many just run their own wiring to eliminate tracing and all the poor connections caused by time and modification. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    I've tried searching a bit but always come up empty. It's a 1993 Hydra Sports LS200 and the documentation is sparse.

9. Member
    Hopefully someone will have some info. Seeing your boat is almost 30 years old, you can be very sure any wiring connectors or switches at the very least are suspect to die at any moment. If you are serious about rejuvenating it, replacement will be the best route. It will be up to you if you do it one piece at a time, or something else. Good Luck with your project. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Use a meter to check for voltage on the red and black wire. They may be a feed that was installed at some time for a graph or something. Also, remember a switch interrupts or allows voltage to continue to an accessory. Check for power to the switch using a known ground and a positive reading, (should be 12v) to the orange/black wire on the switch.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    The red and black are integrated into the main harness so I assume they are factory. I just have to find out where they were supposed to go. As far as the switches themselves, I'm in the process and getting the wiring situated so I can replace them all with some nice rockers.

12. Member
    Appears to be orange w/ gray stripe….usually indicates a protected power circuit that feeds power to a nav or courtesy light switch.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

13. Member
    Well I hit the loose reds with a multimeter and they're hot with key and switch on. So I guess I'm going to have to trace them back to find out what they go to. Everything else looks like it's in place so I'm not sure what they're supposed to go to. The front used to have a built in lowrance depth finder and a built in lowrance surface temperature sensor so it's possible these wires originally went to those connections but I'm definitely going to try and trace them down. It will be difficult since the main harness is tied together at the console. There is also a loose hot and another ground at the console that I have to trace as well.

14. Member
    I found this today while digging around. Posted in the Hydra Sports forum but wanted to put this pic here. Does anybody have a picture of something similar? Mine is too warn.

20211129_162227.jpg

15. Member
    I've managed to trace the wires to the console. All three loose reds, two up front one at the console, all lead to a hot jumper underneath the lighting switch. They're wired to the power switch but I have no idea what they're supposed to run to. They're just hot when the power is on and not when it's not.