Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Point 1 question

I am installing a point 1 for use with my elite fs 9. Since I will not be using it with two units is it ok if I use the three way connector without something connected/plugged into the third one or is there a better connector I should use? Thanks.

2. Member
    Did you already have a NMEA circuit in your boat?
    If not you will have to build a proper NMEA circuit. All tee connectors must be capped on the end with a resistor.
    Lowrance NMEA starter kit.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It’s not a three way connector. Only one port should be used for a device. With a Point 1, you need at least two Tees in order for the network to operate.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Thanks the video is a big help.

Another question, my boat is a 2006 and has a nema circuit but it has large blue color connectors. My point 1 has a much smaller connector so how do I tap into the existing circuit or do I need to build a new one? Sorry for dumb questions but I know nothing about this stuff.
    Last edited by Zpilot; 11-28-2021 at 01:00 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    Thanks the video is a big help.

Another question, my boat is a 2006 and has a nema circuit but it has large blue color connectors. My point 1 has a much smaller connector so how do I tap into the existing circuit or do I need to build a new one? Sorry for dumb questions but I know nothing about this stuff.
    There used to be adapters to connect blue T's to red/black T's. or connect red/black devices to blue T's, I don't know of they are still available.

It may be easier to change out the entire network to the newer style. You will need a T for each device and one for power and 2 resistors (1 male and 1 female) for each end of backbone. A point one with a head unit will need 3 T's.

Put the power cord on a switch as the network will draw power all the time.

The above video is not correct. He connected the power to a T end, it needed a resistor there. The power will need it's own T.
    Last edited by mikeky; 11-28-2021 at 01:22 PM.

6. Member
    NEMA NETWORK only comes ON when the machines are on.
    Switch? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybryan View Post
    The point 1 will draw power all the time

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    There used to be adapters to connect blue T's to red/black T's. or connect red/black devices to blue T's, I don't know of they are still available.

It may be easier to change out the entire network to the newer style. You will need a T for each device and one for power and 2 resistors (1 male and 1 female) for each end of backbone. A point one with a head unit will need 3 T's.

Put the power cord on a switch as the network will draw power all the time.

The above video is not correct. He connected the power to a T end, it needed a resistor there. The power will need it's own T.

Yep you are correct. He should have connected the power cord- connector into the top of the tee.
    I know the top of the tee is a male. Cant remember if the little swivel connector on the point one cable is male also. If it is I think this would work. If i thinking right he would need another blue tee to connect in the backbone to plug the point 1 into via the adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28448979141....c100667.m2042

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    The point 1 will draw power all the time
    Yep I had 2 Pucks would draw down battery big time in a week.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybryan View Post
    You are wrong, sorry.

11. Member
    Ok why do u need two tees for system to function, direct connect to the point 1, cable, run line to console, tee up to unit, run power on to fusebox from other connection on tee, should work huh
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Ok why do u need two tees for system to function, direct connect to the point 1, cable, run line to console, tee up to unit, run power on to fusebox from other connection on tee, should work huh
    That’s not the way NMEA2000 works. I misspoke, as you actually need 3 tees since the Point 1 isn’t much use without a display. Only the “leg” of the tee is connected to a device or to power.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Okdoky
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

14. Member
    So i need a tee at the point 1, of course a cover for end of tee, cable to another tee, where I will tee up to display, another tee which has another termination plug, the power connecting goes to fuse panel from that tee and that’s it, actually ends of tee are used only as a continuation of the nema circuit, only loads connect, or power to the tee itself, all ends are terminated
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    Do all point one units have a light on them to prove power
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Do all point one units have a light on them to prove power
    Point-1 does not have any light.

17. Member

18. Member
    Thanks DR. DROP, that helps me allot.

19. Member
    Do not use your old NEMA network; at that time the connectors were not water tight, and moist air would allow corrosion on the connectors that is hard to see, but causes all kinds of problems. Lowrance switched to red connectors which were waterproof, and now black connectors. Get a NEMA 2000 starter kit which comes with everything you need to go with your Point-1, except for "tees" for more than one head unit.
    ciao,
    Marc

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Do not use your old NEMA network; at that time the connectors were not water tight, and moist air would allow corrosion on the connectors that is hard to see, but causes all kinds of problems. Lowrance switched to red connectors which were waterproof, and now black connectors. Get a NEMA 2000 starter kit which comes with everything you need to go with your Point-1, except for "tees" for more than one head unit.
    Thanks that is exactly what I am doing, the starter kit that is. I am thinking of tapping into my LED interior lights for a switched power source, any problems with doing this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast