New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

I don't winterize but what additives should I use???

I do not winterize my outboard because if the weather is nice enough will go out for a few hours, drain the water when I get home and I have a T on the line for speedometer and water temp guage to drain them. But what additive should I add to the gas because it could be a month before I go again? I run Startron all the time but was thinking maybe Lucas or Staybil plus the startron for the winter months???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Startron is all you need, it will take care of it all.
    Last edited by Dave A; 11-28-2021 at 02:10 PM.

+2 on Startron. If your fuel will be in the tank for an extended period, like in Winter for most, then you need to treat it with a fuel stabilizer.
    Especially if you burn ethanol fuel. And I always run the OB long enough to make sure some of the stabilizer enters the fuel system lines.
    Otherwise, I stopped using all the cleaners and additives “with every tank full”. If I’m using non-ethanol gas that already contains detergents, stabilizers, and other additives then why do I need to spend more $$$ for MORE additives?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Fill UP the tank.... to the top of the spout (if you're going to go a couple of months without running it). I use Seafoam in ALL of my gasoline equipment....hint, watch YouTube. It's proven to be well worth the money. I buy a dozen cans at a time.....and I only use corn free fuel.

5. Member
    Seafoam and eth free gas
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Can't get ethanol free gas around here, so might throw in a can of seafoam the next trip out.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. mikesxpress
    Know what your putting in that tank if you are going to use additives. No You Boob or opinons. Just factual additive data provided by the mfg.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Know what your putting in that tank if you are going to use additives. No You Boob or opinons. Just factual additive data provided by the mfg.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900
    I read your data.....fascinating to say the least, to me anyway. Thank you, truly, for all the effort to put this info together.

Btw, I have NO idea why Seafoam HAS worked for me, but, much like the reports on YouTube, "Project Farm" for example, it has worked. I have a LOT of equipment and it's helped a LOT with all the gasoline eqp.

9. Member
    I've benn using marine stabil and seafoam for years with no issues.

10. Member
    I have been using nothing for 30 years and run ethanol fuel with no problems.

read your outbound manual and it will say you can run ethanol.

11. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    I read your data.....fascinating to say the least, to me anyway. Thank you, truly, for all the effort to put this info together.

Btw, I have NO idea why Seafoam HAS worked for me, but, much like the reports on YouTube, "Project Farm" for example, it has worked. I have a LOT of equipment and it's helped a LOT with all the gasoline eqp.
    If you read the SDS for the product it's a cleaner with oil and added in very miniscule amounts. Ethanol fuel is inherently
    a cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    I have been using nothing for 30 years and run ethanol fuel with no problems.

read your outbound manual and it will say you can run ethanol.

Not ours. Actually mine says to use regular leaded gas........