Humminbird to Garmin waypoint transfer

Hello all, new to garmins, i have been a humminbird guy for awhile now but just purchased some Garmin 106sv at the BPS sale. Was wondering what the best way to transfer all the waypoints from my birds to the new Garmins. Also i have heard that sometimes waypoints are off from one manufacturer to another. Seems strange as i would have thought GPS is GPS. Either way does anybody know if there will be a problem with the waypoints being off. Thanks in advance.

I believe garmin will read a .gpx file.

Get humminbird PC. Export your data from your helix to an sd card. Upload card data into HPC. Use the “save as” command in HPC to save the .gpx file to your SD card. Put card in garmin and import .gpx file

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With your HB unit or Humminbird PC program, convert your HB waypoints to a GPX file.....that GPX file can then be uploaded to your Garmin unit. One thing that is that if you have certain symbols with HB it wont carry over to the GPX file.

Also, link below is the program for Garmin, where you can modify waypoints.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=7263
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Thank you both for the information. As soon as the units come in I will attempt to do this.

5. Member
    Hollada and fishin coullion are both correct. I can help you get your Humminbird file and symbols converted to a file in Garmin format with Garmin symbols super easy before you load it to your unit. It only takes me a minute. Once it is in the correct Garmin format with the correct symbols, you can use the software fishin mentioned to do all your editing.
    P.M. sent
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

6. Member
    Guys, not to trying to derail the thread but have a similar question on the same lines except I’m needing to convert lowrance HDS gen3 waypoints to my 106sv I caught on sale from bass pro. Is the process similar to what’s mentioned above for humminbird or is it a different animal when going from lowrance to garmin? Thanks for any insight!

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDawg85 View Post
    Guys, not to trying to derail the thread but have a similar question on the same lines except I’m needing to convert lowrance HDS gen3 waypoints to my 106sv I caught on sale from bass pro. Is the process similar to what’s mentioned above for humminbird or is it a different animal when going from lowrance to garmin? Thanks for any insight!
    With Lowrance you can export in GPX format straight from the Lowrance unit to SD card in the file export menu. Then, it is a direct GPS import on the Garmin unit from the SD card.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Which SD card does the Garmin take? Micro or regular?

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerjignpig View Post
    Which SD card does the Garmin take? Micro or regular?
    Micro up to 32 GB....

I use the Samsung cards....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 12-01-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDawg85 View Post
    Todd is correct and that will work perfectly if symbols don’t matter to you. If symbols do matter, the file/symbols need to be converted before loading them to your new unit or you will get a bunch of the default “dots” depending on which symbols you used. I can convert them to Garmin symbols in about a minute if that’s what you need. After the file is converted, you will now have Garmin symbols and they will display correctly on your new unit
    P.M sent
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With Lowrance you can export in GPX format straight from the Lowrance unit to SD card in the file export menu. Then, it is a direct GPS import on the Garmin unit from the SD card.
    Awesome! Thanks, Todd.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Todd is correct and that will work perfectly if symbols don’t matter to you. If symbols do matter, the file/symbols need to be converted before loading them to your new unit or you will get a bunch of the default “dots” depending on which symbols you used. I can convert them to Garmin symbols in about a minute if that’s what you need. After the file is converted, you will now have Garmin symbols and they will display correctly on your new unit
    P.M sent
    Mike - I saw your P.M. and I appreciate the offer. At this time all I have are generic dots but thank you for the offer!

jeff