Swap out a 01 225 ox66 to a 2019 4 stroke.

Had a tough day last week and blew my 01 ox66. I've fished tourneys with it for 20 years. Guessing I had several thousand hours. What a testimony to Yammies. Anyway I'm getting long in the tooth and want to keep my old ZX225 and repower it. I have power poles and new ultrex and a lot of goodies in the old boat Can I hang a new 4 stroke or is it super complicated. I'm really green about this and was wondering if the controls would work, or if that was another long list of investments. Found a brand new 2019 225 four stroke for 13 K shipped.
    Any thoughts or direction would really be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Old Skeeter

2. Member
    I would put a rebuild powerhead on it! I have the same motor!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    I hung a new SHO 225 on my 99 ZX210C pretty simple swap old controls work fine, I put on new cables just because of the age. I believe the OX66 cables will work though.

4. Member
    Might be interested in the. Ox

5. Member
    I replaced my 2001 ox66 with a new SHO. No problem at all. The shifter and shift and throttle cables are the same. The new motor comes with a battery cable. The only thing I needed was a new cable for trim/tilt and tach but was not expensive. I wasn't sure if my old tach would work with the 4stroke so I changed it to a new one so the oil and overheat lights are now on it, not the dash. The SHO is much quieter, better on fuel and more low end torque...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your responses. I find myself sitting on the fence whether to buy a remanufactured power head or the new engine. My gut tells me to go with the new engine.
    Thanks again!

7. Member
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your responses. I find myself sitting on the fence whether to buy a remanufactured power head or the new engine. My gut tells me to go with the new engine.
    Thanks again!

8. Member
    1Ranger 487,
    I sent you a PM