Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    Get ya a rashed out SS SV103 for cheap and swap the magnets out of it. It would be nice if the whole assembly swapped but you may have to just swap magnets
    I was thinking to see if anyone has a complete TDZ sideplate they would sell. Also, isn't the SS SV known to be an overbraked platform?

On a side note, has anyone tried swapping in the OG Steez magnets into a current Gen Steez TWS or Steez A? The results might be much better casting combined with the SV Spool and Steez A spool, especially when the Mag Z brakes are toned down so much with the notably weak OG Steez Magnets.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    I was thinking to see if anyone has a complete TDZ sideplate they would sell. Also, isn't the SS SV known to be an overbraked platform?

On a side note, has anyone tried swapping in the OG Steez magnets into a current Gen Steez TWS or Steez A? The results might be much better casting combined with the SV Spool and Steez A spool, especially when the Mag Z brakes are toned down so much with the notably weak OG Steez Magnets.
    Platform? No. The SS SV103's stock spool is very overbraked but the magnets are the standard weak variety found in 1st gen Steez.

3. Member
    Platform? No. The SS SV103's stock spool is very overbraked but the magnets are the standard weak variety found in 1st gen Steez.
    Koolio... I'm currently on a mission to procure a very specific ZPI spool that from all user accounts, is a game changer in the Steez A and Steez SV TW.

4. Member
    Careful. Too weak and the spool will be unusable. That's the case with two fixed inductors I tried on the SS SV. The Ray's Long Cast and Amo fixed inductor spools.

5. Member
    Careful. Too weak and the spool will be unusable. That's the case with two fixed inductors I tried on the SS SV. The Ray's Long Cast and Amo fixed inductor spools.
    I have spoken with owners of this ZPI spool in their Steez A and Steez SV TW and it is exceptional...the challenge is no one really wants to let go of this ZPI spool. If the SS SV sideplate magnets are as weak as you state, then a fixed inductor super fast spool would not be a good fit in that reel. I also have a Ray's BFS spool that fishes very well in the Steez A, however this BFS spool would have no true application of how I plan to use the Steez A. I usually use the Ray's BFS in a TDZ or Steez for 1/8-1/4 neds, cranks, topwaters, and small jerkbaits with light 8-10 braid and leader.

6. Member
    Short update...

The ZPI PG in a 2019 Morethan PE SV is incredible, bordering on ludicrous on casting ease and distance. I paired the reel with my Evola 7'0" Med and spooled on 15 lb Sunline Defier mono. The 2019 Morethan PE SV spool conversely is incredible in the OG Zillion SV103 with (30 lb PP SS V2) braid and in an Ito Monoblock 100XR/XRL, also with braid (I spooled on YGK 20 lb SS112)...I am very impressed with the 2019 Morethan PE SV spool with braid in these older Daiwa platforms, especially the Millionaire 100 platforms that have the challenge of hard line angle when the line guide is at either edge when casting, as well as the line guide being physically closer to the levelwind for distance.
    Last edited by dragon1; 11-23-2023 at 12:38 PM.

7. Member
    I don’t know how so many feel “they don’t make them like they used to”. I agree - I think they make them BETTER. From the time I could afford it (about the mid 80’s) I have always gotten top of the line reels, there is not a single reel from the past I prefer over anything I’ve gotten in the last couple of years. Not much in tech change, but they have gotten lighter, tighter, more rigid, smoother. Bearing counts have gone higher and better quality. I used to see a significant difference switching out to ceramic bearings, but not so much these days (specifically Japanese reels). Now I’m talking Daiwa/Shimano, top of the line stuff. I do feel Abu might have slipped a bit, but I have not used their current Zenon line.

The only thing I see as a minus is that they are making the top shelf stuff harder and harder to service yourself.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I don’t know how so many feel “they don’t make them like they used to”. I agree - I think they make them BETTER. From the time I could afford it (about the mid 80’s) I have always gotten top of the line reels, there is not a single reel from the past I prefer over anything I’ve gotten in the last couple of years. Not much in tech change, but they have gotten lighter, tighter, more rigid, smoother. Bearing counts have gone higher and better quality. I used to see a significant difference switching out to ceramic bearings, but not so much these days (specifically Japanese reels). Now I’m talking Daiwa/Shimano, top of the line stuff. I do feel Abu might have slipped a bit, but I have not used their current Zenon line.

The only thing I see as a minus is that they are making the top shelf stuff harder and harder to service yourself.
    When I break down an OG Zillion or Millionaire or TDX HSDF, the amount of internal robustness in the metal parts, and even the levelwind and pawl materials, to me, is of better quality than most modern Daiwas. Shimano HEG as well, has proven to be tougher, longer lasting, and more durable than the MM (hence why some Tranx reels are HEG).

Modern Daiwas for me provide the advantage of higher/more available gear ratios, better from factory BFS (both Shimano and Daiwa and all OEM brands for that matter), better line releases with the TWS (aside passing connection knots), higher drag output, and more refined cut gears overall, especially with their Duralumin. This said, I have owned/still own several CVZ and Monoblocks and Z2020 reels that were incredibly smooth and durable, with some well over, 20 years old.

I will say that the 8.6 C6191 bronze-brass gears on my 2019 Morethan PE SV were among the snot-on-ice-slickest I ever experienced stock factory from any manufacturer or model...however I have caused them to get geary in only one season of hard use. Same with my 2014 Conquest 200 4.8 with MM, incredible reel that was incredibly smooth, very akin to the Antares AR/Calais 100 5.8:1 HEG I owned and used hard foe years...still it became geary year two with much less use and no lures over 1 oz spinnerbaits.

Engineering of certain technology and components have gotten better, weight of the reels have decreased, and gear cut tech and modern materials make for what feels smoother out of the box...but the frame and internals and overall components aren't as robust overall as some of the OG models...not all, but definitely some of the OGs were way tougher and more durable.
    Last edited by dragon1; 11-23-2023 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Spelling - Im sure I still missed some lol

9. Member
    What I am most impressed with is the strength, smoothness, and durability of Daiwa's current Duralumin gears...and that sets are interchangeable between many models, which serves as an advantage on many levels. Also, to know that the Daiwa BFS reels have the same gears as models made for more heavy duty work, is a great piece of mind. As evidence, I am using my Gekkabijin with a Ray's BFS SV deep spool with 40lb YGK X8 Upgrade and leader even for tossing around 3/4 oz lipless and topwaters, with absolutely no issues with cranking power, smoothness, and even line capacity. That was not possible with the OG Pixy or Alphas reels, and those OG Daiwa mag-finesse reels were also limited 7.2 high gear ratio, and limited drag output even with Carbontex. This said, the brass 5.8:1, 6.3:1 (especially oversized main gear OG Zillion), 7.1, 7.3, 7.9...were extremely reliable and wore in well. Same with many Shimanos, HEG and prior non-HEG models included.

No doubt modern reels have way more advantages from the factory, but they are not necessarily better built...Same-Same as these 8-10 speed big truck transmissions going toast well under 100k miles when the older/"primitive" proven 4-5 speed transmissions easily pull for 500k + with little more than a rebuild.

10. Member
    I have $680 (2007’ish) Shimano Calais DC’s sitting on the shelf. Robustly built? Absolutely! I don’t use them anymore because they weigh over 10 ounces! They also don’t cast farther than my current (recent) reels. I consider myself a “high mileage” user, and these newer ones are holding up as well, if not better. Even reels with Duraluminum gears are holding up every bit as well as brass. “Tightness” seems to last just as long, if not longer (definitely longer than the best from the 80’s & 90’s). I really like the single core body the recent Shimano reels have. Nothing like that existed in the past. Current top of the line spinning gear has gotten out of this world, NOTHING in the past compares to the Exist or Stella. The Daiwa spinning reels are starting to have more reels designed with the single core body too, (trickled down from the Exist).

Now my references are to high end stuff (stuff ACTUALLY made in Japan, not all Daiwa’s and Shimanos are but their top shelf stuff will be), I’m sure manufacturers are looking at as many cost cutting measures they can get away with to keep costs as low as they can on the lower end stuff. We’ll probably see more and more of that (ie the recent prominence of the really cheap Chinese reels).

There are not any reels from the past that I would choose over today's offerings. They just keep getting better and better.

12. Member
    CoreSolid body is no different than CNC single block aluminum reel, such as the Millionaire reels, as well as Calcutta and Conquest reels of any generation...and micro module hasn't proven itself to be as reliable as HEG, yet. Also, bearing counts have not increased in modern top end reels vs prior Gen top end reels, and FWIW, many top end reels from both Shimano and Daiwa have had bad bearings and/or shorter than average bearing life due to QC issues and/or not being properly oiled from the factory. So whether this is due to volume or cost cutting or a combination, modern reels have their share of issues, especially when it comes to maintenance of MagSeal and removal of the MQ motor cover.

When it comes to a "heavy reel" there are rods that actually balance better with an 8-10 oz reel, and most large swimbait reels are 10+ oz. Case in point yesterday I had my tuned/modded Gen 1 CVZ 103 Millionaire on a custom MHX CB907 and it was about perfect for distance launching 1/2-3/4 lipless. My light lipless/crank reel was a tuned/modded Steez Limited SV 105 (which I took over my Gekkabijin with a Ray's deep BFS SV spool), and my only modern reel was a 2019 Morethan PE SV SH 7.1:1 for 3/4-1 oz spinnerbaits on a Gen I Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MH.

FWIW, the Millionaire CVZ 103 with Alphas 7.2:1 brass gears was the smoothest of all the reels, and it had the duty of heavy launching (long distances) and cranking bigger lipless for hours without a single hiccup.

What I'm getting and and will reiterate...the newer reels have some advantages, but they are not necessarily better in all aspects (aside BFS reels, I think they are the better all around out of the box), and especially not for all end users. I have a good mixture of modern reels and older ones, and while the newer ones are more ready out of the box, the older ones can be tuned to match or exceed the performance of newer reels, especially with Daiwa. This said, parts are disappearing, even though the modding/tuning/maintenance of the older platforms were much easier, IMO.

In so far as Shimano, I have owned two of the newer micro module reels, a 2014 Conquest 200 4.8 and 2022 Bantam MGL 7.1, and until I see that Shimano figures out how to get these gears to last and wear in, vs wear out/get geary, I won't pick up another.

I also owned for a few months, the current Daiwa Zillion HD in the 8.0, and it was a fabulous reel for launching 1/2oz + topwaters, and had fantastic braking that was very forgiving. This said, the top is plastic (and not as rigid as the OG Zillion or 2019 Morethan/Steez A), and when I opened it up to look inside, it was not built to the same standards of the OG Zillion, which to me is what a Zillion is supposed to be...as such, I sold it and used the funds to pick up an Ian tuned Monoblock Ito 100XRL which also has 7.2 brass Alphas gears and this reel is not only a work of art, but built exceedingly well with exceptional tolerances and refinement. Had I kept the Zillion HD, it would likely have been a stellar reel that would have lasted just fine, but I prefer metal and will likely pick up another 2019 Morethan, a Steez A II or another Monoblock/CVZ.

In the end it's all preference, and I like both older classics and modern reels for what they bring to the table...and that I fish both side by side almost everytime out, I personally witness some of my older Gen reels performing as well as modern reels (gear ratio and max drag aside).

YMMV.
    Last edited by dragon1; 11-26-2023 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar...and I probably still missed some. Lol

13. Member
    I did have the novelty thought of digging out my gear from the 70’s & 80’s and spending a day with the old school stuff, including the fiberglass broomstick worm rods. Not sure if it’ll actually be fun or not, but I am planning it.

As far as heavy weight reels balancing better, I palm my baitcasters so the reel weight is irrelevant as far as helping balance the rod. When casting, the reel is above your hand, so I would think a heavier reel would hurt balance (during the cast). Overall though (personal preference), I enjoy fishing with lighter gear in general (I also believe lighter contributes to being more sensitive, it’s definitely less fatiguing). Light reels, light rods, still with the same power. That seems to be the trend I’m seeing in the newer stuff.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I did have the novelty thought of digging out my gear from the 70’s & 80’s and spending a day with the old school stuff, including the fiberglass broomstick worm rods. Not sure if it’ll actually be fun or not, but I am planning it.

As far as heavy weight reels balancing better, I palm my baitcasters so the reel weight is irrelevant as far as helping balance the rod. When casting, the reel is above your hand, so I would think a heavier reel would hurt balance (during the cast). Overall though (personal preference), I enjoy fishing with lighter gear in general (I also believe lighter contributes to being more sensitive, it’s definitely less fatiguing). Light reels, light rods, still with the same power. That seems to be the trend I’m seeing in the newer stuff.
    I also palm all my reels and actually still use Daiwa PT33SH from the mid 1980s (four of them, two tuned/modded) for heavier Topwaters like WP 130 and 6" Bull Shads...all have all original gears and parts with upgrades only to custom cut Carbontex, handle/knobs, and Abec 7 spool and sideplate bearings. These reels just continue to perform and casts 1/2 + excellent distances and still pulls in about 32 IPT.

My Monoblock Ito 100XRL with Carbon fiber handle loaded with line and a 2019 Morethan PE SV spool is under 7 oz as well. My CVZ is just under 9 oz but just fishes so well on longer rods. FWIW, and strangely enough, my three biggest TN largies have all come on a Z2020H with three different type lures in three totally different bodies of water. One of these Z2020H is an original from circa 2010...all original internals with only a longer handle upgrade.

For sure, I like light reels as well for most fishing techs, but for power fishing heavier baits with torque, sometimes I want a bit of heft.

What I really want to do is give a newer Conquest 100 another chance to see if the HG gearing is better than the Gen I 4.8 I had on my 2014 CQ 200.
    Last edited by dragon1; 11-26-2023 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

I take my 18 or so BPS PQs that are still as smooth as brand new and no issues all these years later

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123