Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm Done with Interstate AGM

My Group 31 Interstate AGM cranking battery failed me again yesterday. After just 3 hours of fishing with 3 Humminbird Helixes, 2 8's and a 10, running, no other draws. It would not crank my 200 Pro XS. Glad I have the power switch with the jump option! This is a replacement for the original battery that came with my boat in Oct 2020. It failed and was replaced last May. I did more research and realized that my Mercury owners manual calls for 975 CCA for my outboard, the Insterstate AGM that Nitro supplied with the boat is 925 CCA, so it is undersized for the application. I asked the dealer to test it when I had it in for service earlier this month and he claimed it tested good, and blamed my graphs as power hogs. I am not going to mess with another warranty replacement. I ordered an Odyssey AGM 31M-PC2150 that has 1150 CCA and plenty of capacity. It's costing me some money and I am not getting the promised value from my original battery, but I will at least have some piece of mind when I am on the water.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

Good choice, just as the X2 from Batteries Plus bulbs would have been. They are the same battery
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Dealer only does a starting test, not a deep cycle. My interstates were not great performers, original was completely bad the warranty unit wasn’t great either. Went lithium and am happy with it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Pat, I'm guessing you've done this already, but check the charger for sufficient charge. My identical battery is so far good, going on 2 full years.

My previous boat had a dual pro charger, that burnt both brand new interstates, Dealer replaced all three items.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    Pat, I'm guessing you've done this already, but check the charger for sufficient charge. My identical battery is so far good, going on 2 full years.

My previous boat had a dual pro charger, that burnt both brand new interstates, Dealer replaced all three items.
    Thanks, Yes, I did check the charger. It is a Noco Genious and works as it should.
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 11-28-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

6. Member
    Interstate is junk. Bought a new boat early this year and the interstate agm that it came with went bad in 6 months.

7. Scraps
    You'll never have to worry about your battery again now.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    When you run a AGM down flat it is ruined. All brands. Look it up.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Look into Lithium, www.impulselithium.com

If you have any questions about your system and what's best give me a call

Bill
    205-965-8436

10. Member
    Did you see John Crews is running his boat on 2 batteries Should be no problem with as good as these batteries are.

After I went to 31 size...no more being towed...LOL

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    Look into Lithium, www.impulselithium.com

If you have any questions about your system and what's best give me a call

Bill
    205-965-8436
    Mercury owners manual specifically states to use an AGM battery with minimum 975 CCA with their 4 stroke outboards. They have also released a service bulletin 2021-06 that states not to use Lithium ion batteries. Doing so can void some warranty coverage.
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 12-30-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

13. Member
    I have been running four Odyssey’s for a year and a half. They are far and away the best batteries I have ever run. Coupled with the Power Pole Charge, I have gone three days without plugging in and they still perform flawlessly. I will be changing over to lithium this year to reduce weight. So if anyone wants some great batteries, PM me.

14. Member
    That is not necessarily true... For one White River sells you a boat with a 4 stroke Pro XS and lithium batteries. Purdy sure Merc/WRMG have an "understanding"... Also there is this explination:

In a nutshell, don't buy a cheap lithium and you will be fine. You need a quality BMS to have it all work harmoniously.

15. Member
    A friend and son-in-law had problem

16. Member
    With any battery you want to meet the minimum specs for starting required, obviously.

But with a boat, because you are also using the starting as dual purpose, besides CCA. I pay more attention to the RC or Ah value.

The Interstate is RC=200 the Odessy is RC=220.

My guess is, and not trying to be a jerk... you will be back. IMO.. I think you have excessive drain somewhere. And likely nothing wrong with the Interstate AGM.

Measure the current used from battery with a DVM, as what would be on when typically fishing. you can calculate your run time from that.

I would not give the dealer to much of a hard time, I have seen batteries that pass cranking with flying colors, but fail an RC/Ah tests miserably.

With all the electronics these days.. many guys, finally had to put in a house battery for electronics, pumps and accessories only.

We are expecting a lot more of our batteries today then in the past, with the exception of Lithium, lead acid just cannot keep up in many situations in todays world.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    With any battery you want to meet the minimum specs for starting required, obviously.

But with a boat, because you are also using the starting as dual purpose, besides CCA. I pay more attention to the RC or Ah value.

The Interstate is RC=200 the Odessy is RC=220.

My guess is, and not trying to be a jerk... you will be back. IMO.. I think you have excessive drain somewhere. And likely nothing wrong with the Interstate AGM.

Measure the current used from battery with a DVM, as what would be on when typically fishing. you can calculate your run time from that.

I would not give the dealer to much of a hard time, I have seen batteries that pass cranking with flying colors, but fail an RC/Ah tests miserably.

With all the electronics these days.. many guys, finally had to put in a house battery for electronics, pumps and accessories only.

We are expecting a lot more of our batteries today then in the past, with the exception of Lithium, lead acid just cannot keep up in many situations in todays world.
    I wouldn’t really cut the dealer any slack, they should be capable of doing a deep cycle battery test. They don’t, it passes the CCA test, and it’s not their problem anymore. I had to go to interstate to get a half decent replacement but ended up switching to lithium
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I wouldn’t really cut the dealer any slack, they should be capable of doing a deep cycle battery test. They don’t, it passes the CCA test, and it’s not their problem anymore. I had to go to interstate to get a half decent replacement but ended up switching to lithium
    I doubt many shops have the ability, like a battery dealer has. To truly test the battery capacity takes specialized test equipment and time to test. A dealer is not in the "battery" business, they will just replace the battery before going thru the trouble.

19. Member
    Why are your graphs connected to your motor battery?
    Please release me,let me go.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Why are your graphs connected to your motor battery?
    As with most bass boats with a 24v trolling motor, I have 3 batteries in my boat. 2 batteries for the trolling motor and 1 for everything else, including the graphs. I am not ready to add a 4th battery at this point.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast