Question Vessel View Link and fuel gauge

Mercury Verado L4 175XL
    Model#: 1175V23ED
    Ser#: 1B889354
    Smartcraft: V4
    Vessel View link: boat is in storage but the VV is running with the latest update and it's link with my HDS Live also on the latest update.

Actually I do have the fuel gauge on the Smartcraft and it shows in %
    On the VV on the HDS I need to add the quantity of fuel each time that I add some gaz and it shows on the VV in gallons; the quantity left is base on the fuel use by the motor when in use.
    In my case I also have a kicker that runs sometimes 6 to 8 hrs in a day; so the quantity on the VV is not accurate.
    On the HDS setting under fuel if I choose : monitor by sensor it doesn't work it always show a full tank. To get an "accurate" reading I need to use the: unmonitor tank in the VV settings.
    I would like to get an accurate reading thtough the VV and I wonder if I can add a Lowrance fuel sensor connect to the gaz tank sensor; that way I could have the real reading that will be the same as on the Smartcraft.
    Would like to know if it's a viable solution before spending $ for a Lowrance sensor 000-11518-001

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, you can't use Lowrance sensors to read levels in Smartcraft- they need to be wired through the ENGINE to show up on the Smartcraft side ACCURATELY.

Check and verify that you have a fuel level harness installed and configured to the Fuel Tank sending unit. This must be in place to read any level information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Maybe I wasn't clear (my french translator maybe)
    I do have a fuel level reading on the Smartcraft gauge; not in gallons but by % of usage. But the Vessel View doesn't read that %age so I need to add fuel manually in the HDS fuel settings then it shows on the Vessel View.
    The Smartcraft gauge is taking the quantity on the fuel tank sensor; there is a pink wire from the tank to the Smartcraft gauge. I was thinking leaving the wires connect then add the Lowrance sensor to it. But I'm not sure about 2 things connected to the same tank sensor.
    Last edited by wallyandre; 12-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wally- SMARTCRAFT Tank-1 wire is Pink w/BLACK STRIPE. It does not run to the Smartcraft Gauge: It runs to the ENGINE (via a 6-pin fuel harness connector). This MUST be in place. Once it is, Fuel LEVEL is available to VV.

Once we are certain the wiring IS CORRECT (I'm not convinced yet), you may need to perform a Master Reset on the Smartcraft Gauge (so that it is not latched as the Master Instrument).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The boat is in storage right now so I will check that next spring.
    I'll let you know. It's weird because I saw that pink wire connect behind the dash around the Smartcraft bezel and when unplug there was no reading on the smartcraft fuel gauge (no more as ex: 35% left)
    Maybe the fuel harness is missing? Any idea where I should look for the 6 pin wire harness?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    6 pin harness plugs into the engine on the STB (starboard) side of the engine.

I want to show this, it's the wiring from the gaz tank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallyandre; 11-29-2021 at 02:15 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Post a picture?
    I just add it. 1st pic was to large

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    WARNING! There is a potentially SERIOUS wiring error at the fuel tank. Please clarify the color wires that are attached TOGETHER in the same connector.

STRONLY recommend against turning the key on again until this has been addressed!

WARNING! There is a potentially SERIOUS wiring error at the fuel tank. Please clarify the color wires that are attached TOGETHER in the same connector.

STRONLY recommend against turning the key on again until this has been addressed!
    Once I post the pic I realize it was when I've tried to connect another analog gauge but when I did that I was loosing the % level on the smartcraft so I remove the analog gauge.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    By doing so, you tied a 12V circuit into a 5V circuit, which can potentially cause serious damage to the engine PCM.

Please identify those wire colors (as requested above).

By doing so, you tied a 12V circuit into a 5V circuit, which can potentially cause serious damage to the engine PCM.

Please identify those wire colors (as requested above).
    The motor wasn't run with the analog gauge; I connect the oem back: pink and black has they were connected before. The ECM didn't suffer of any damage; I did run it for 70hrs after that w/o any problem

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    I did run it for 70hrs after that w/o any problem
    WOW... you've been on the water a LOT lately!

Habitually in a normal year I do around 125-150 hrs on the main engine and probably 350-400hrs on the kicker. This from mid april to mid november.
    The boat is now under storage in the warehouse.
    Thanks for your help.