Thread: Marker Buoys?

Marker Buoys?

Do those that fish deep offshore brush piles still use marker buoys to hold position in open water ?

2. Member
    I crappie fish, have a Ghost tm and Active Target. Don't use markers any more.

3. Member
    Mike thanks. I’m wondering about those like me without livescope, but do have side, down & 2-d only. Thanks

4. Member
    Les, I fish with my son, he has side scan and forward scan, but I still keep wanting to pitch a buoy out for reference. Guess I’m old school, been using them since the late 70’s. Old habits die hard.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Les, I fish with my son, he has side scan and forward scan, but I still keep wanting to pitch a buoy out for reference. Guess I’m old school, been using them since the late 70’s. Old habits die hard.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

6. Member
    I dont use it to mark what Im fishing, I use it right on the up wind or up current side at the trolling motor. Just want a quick reference to hold the boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Mike thanks. I’m wondering about those like me without livescope, but do have side, down & 2-d only. Thanks
    If I didn't have Active Target I would use markers

8. Member
    I have everything but live and I still use marker buoys a few times a year for both Sunfish/Crappie and bass. Sometimes to mark the structure as much as anything. If the winds up and I’m way offshore it helps me be efficient with spotlock and the right cast.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    I dont use it to mark what Im fishing, I use it right on the up wind or up current side at the trolling motor. Just want a quick reference to hold the boat.
    This is exactly what i was wondering about. Thanks.

10. Member
    Thanks guys.

11. Member
    There are times I use them (like with real heavy fishing pressure ) to mark a shallow island top ) and just circle the buoy usually with a drop shot rig with my graphs OFF . Seems like with the typical bright orange buoy it catches everyone's attention when other anglers are passing by and gives away the spot . I read where Mark Davis used small aspirin bottles with a piece of mono and a small weight to mark stuff since it draws no attention . I bought some spray paint made for painting vinyl car interiors in a silver color and painted my marker buoys with it . Sticks good and buoys can't be seen by others driving by . It works so good beyond a distance of a couple of casts I can no longer see it either so I just turn the graphs back on and waypoint back to the buoy .

EDIT: wrong thread. Sorry!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    This is exactly what i was wondering about. Thanks.
    Just toss it out 2 or 3 feet from the boat. Just toss it so the wind or current wont blow you into the marker. Also, paint the darn thing black. You can see them from the other side of the lake. Ive had guys idle close by me and hit a way point. If you leave it orange, expect company. Pretty sad when you in the middle of the lake, just no respect anymore. Back in the old days you would never do that to someone. . I use the yellow landscapers twine on mine. That little 2" is all you need
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 11-30-2021 at 10:43 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Just toss it out 2 or 3 feet from the boat. Just toss it so the wind or current wont blow you into the marker. Also, paint the darn thing black. You can see them from the other side of the lake. Ive had guys idle close by me and hit a way point. If you leave it orange, expect company. Pretty sad when you in the middle of the lake, just no respect anymore. Back in the old days you would never do that to someone. . I use the yellow landscapers twine on mine. That little 2" is all you need

Yep dont have spot lock so I use markers

16. Member
    I think it’s nice if you have someone else in the boat who is casting that way. Gives them some reference.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

17. Member
    Haven't used mine much last couple of years. Put spot lock on the boat this year and didn't use them at all, day or night. I used to tape glow sticks on the ends and used them more night fishing than I did during the day.