Update!

<Added by Moderator:
    Motor Data
    1B737378

FEB 2009
    PRO XS L>

Here is an update on this post...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1149722

Some of you have been following. Just some more background. I purchased this boat and motor in July of 2017. So it has been over 4 years. Since I had no experience with Mercury outboard or an Optimax, I had no experience of what an Optimax should run like. I thought this is it and this is as good as this engine gets... NOT THE CASE!

Bottom line, is that it hasn't been right for possibly years.

This latest crazy occurrence noted in the post dramatically improved engine performance ( along with a new fuel rail ) Hole shot is unbelievable ( has been terrible for 4 years ). Dramatically improved throttle response. And now I am now hitting the limiter with a 25P prop.

It wasn't just one thing but likely a combination of air and fuel regulators and slipped flywheel, one coil going bad. Here is the most important part...

If your flywheel slips ( and you have a no start as timing is off situation ), in my case, there was damage to the flywheel and I could not put it back on without a slight wobble. You should get a new one or a known good used one, which I order from a <READ AND FOLLOW ANNOUNCEMENTS, PLEASE>. The wobble is gone.

This 250 Pro XS is a different motor now! So much power! I am going to have to purchase a 26P or 27P prop to offset it. That's how much the difference has been. Anyways, thanks to everyone here and special thanks to Leon Pugh.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-27-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: PLEASE Read Announcements

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad to hear it's running well for you now.

PLEASE setup a signature in your profile with your engine info so that it's there (rather than in your "Location Field").

Glad you found what you needed to get that straightened out- but please do remember that there are some sites we do not support (as well as items that came from those sites) here in the forums.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Got it. I was wondering where I could put that info!
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS