Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega Live choke adapter???

I installed the choke on my charger cable as explained in the instructions. However, now I am confused after my son said we installed it WRONG on our boats. He said a Humminbird prostaff on Facebook said to install the choke on the Mega live power cable. I looked over the mega live manual again and papers that came in the box and I found nothing saying to put the choke on the power cable!!! My son had a spare choke that came with his external transducer mount for the ultrex so he decided to put that one on the Mega live power cable. Well.... it did absolutely nothing, mega live looks the same as before and still gets a slight flash with mega 360 on. I don't fully understand the choke but I understand that it helps with interference, right? Is there is more to it? Is the manual wrong? Do I need to move the choke or buy another one? Will Humminbird send us another choke if we already installed it on the charger?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Everything I have ever seen about the Choke says to install it on the charger as the Mega Live instructions say. I wouldn't trust heresay on Fakebook.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Everything I have ever seen about the Choke says to install it on the charger as the Mega Live instructions say. I wouldn't trust heresay on Fakebook.
    That's what I thought!! But my son said this guy Rick works for Humminbird as a master grapher and had mega live before everyone. I don't want to mess up the live and wait forever to get it fixed because of this choke adapter in the wrong spot.

4. Member
    The choke goes on the charger lead to the electronics battery. It stops trolling motor RFI from transferring through the charger to your electronics power. Once it passes through the battery into the electronics power the choke will not work to eliminate the issue. The charger lead is the one and only place to install this choke. If you go back to that post, there is in-depth info on this, and that gentleman is taking a hit on his post.

The definition of “interference” got lost.
    The choke filters RFI typically from the trolling motor.
    The flashes are cross-talk, so it makes no difference where you put the choke, it will not prevent cross-talk.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by densik View Post
    The choke goes on the charger lead to the electronics battery. It stops trolling motor RFI from transferring through the charger to your electronics power. Once it passes through the battery into the electronics power the choke will not work to eliminate the issue. The charger lead is the one and only place to install this choke. If you go back to that post, there is in-depth info on this, and that gentleman is taking a hit on his post.
    I did not see the post, got the info from my son. Thank you for the clarification!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The definition of “interference” got lost.
    The choke filters RFI typically from the trolling motor.
    The flashes are cross-talk, so it makes no difference where you put the choke, it will not prevent cross-talk.
    Thank you for the information. Good, I'm not going to worry then.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by densik View Post
    Thanks for this explanation! I have always known that it connects to the charger to prevent interference but I never did know what the interference was that it was preventing.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    What does the RFI look like? Has anyone seen the rfi eliminated after the choke installed?
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

10. Member
    Not that easy. It does not always look the same. If it is from the TM it will stop when the TM is stopped. Or something is done to mitigate it.(possibly the choke) Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    What does the RFI look like? Has anyone seen the rfi eliminated after the choke installed?
    On the Mega 360 RFI interference typically is the "Wagon Wheel" effect. You can search this forum for Wagon Wheel and see plenty of pictures. All of the Mega Live issues I have seen appear to be crosstalk with the other actively pinging sonars (Mega 360, DI, or SI) using the same frequency range. That is what causes the flashing semicircle rings at various distances out on some videos. I was able to stop this by changing the Mega Live Interference setting on the Sonar Settings page on my Solix and Apex units.

Be aware that RFI can also be transmitted through the water by a trolling motor with a bad fuse or another issue which is putting unwanted signals into the water to then be picked up by your other electronics. This type of RFI interference won't be prevented by the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    Typically it looks like the images are washed out (light colored). It can affect 2D sonar, Down Imaging, Side Imaging, or LIVE, just depends on the frequency that the motor is broadcasting. One can only hope that it isn't a frequency that the unit uses since it is random what the frequency is and its intensity.

This is what I was getting on 455 kHz about 12 years ago. Each of the light colored bands is when the trolling motor was running.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Awesome information all! Thank you!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Interesting thread. I get interference on my Mega 360 when my trolling motor is operating at a low speed of say 10-30 but I get no interference when it is operation at a high speed of 70-100. That seems odd to me.

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Interesting thread. I get interference on my Mega 360 when my trolling motor is operating at a low speed of say 10-30 but I get no interference when it is operation at a high speed of 70-100. That seems odd to me.
    I came across an article a while back that did a good job of explaining this. The speed control on the Minn Kota trolling motors is called a Digital Maximizer. Since it is digitally controlled, you have the opportunity for RFI. The slower the speed, the more interference opportunity you have. At full speed, there is no digital PWM control... It's just going all out.

Here is an excerpt from the article... Digital Maximizer based Minn Kota motors work totally differently. They use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control speed, instead of the set number of speed coils in traditional motors.With PWM, the transistors switch on and off at approximately tens of thousands of times per second. The ratio between on vs off intervals is what controls the current flow, without wasting energy.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I came across an article a while back that did a good job of explaining this. The speed control on the Minn Kota trolling motors is called a Digital Maximizer. Since it is digitally controlled, you have the opportunity for RFI. The slower the speed, the more interference opportunity you have. At full speed, there is no digital PWM control... It's just going all out.

Here is an excerpt from the article... Digital Maximizer based Minn Kota motors work totally differently. They use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control speed, instead of the set number of speed coils in traditional motors.With PWM, the transistors switch on and off at approximately tens of thousands of times per second. The ratio between on vs off intervals is what controls the current flow, without wasting energy.
    When I was experiencing RFI with the unit in post #12, the trolling motor was a Motor Guide Tour 36V. A friend with the same motor was experiencing RFI on his Lowrance bow unit that he had moved from the console to the bow. Those motors have the electronic speed control.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If you remove your charger leads from the electronics battery and the interference is still there, the choke will do nothing for you.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    If you remove your charger leads from the electronics battery and the interference is still there, the choke will do nothing for you.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by BOWILLIAMS View Post
    That's what I thought!! But my son said this guy Rick works for Humminbird as a master grapher and had mega live before everyone. I don't want to mess up the live and wait forever to get it fixed because of this choke adapter in the wrong spot.
    I saw that post on FB and actually posted a link to the manual so people wouldn't get confused on this. Rick was trying to be helpful just got his wires crossed on that one point. As a separate matter - kids (mine included) and many adults these days need some real lessons in understanding the difference between primary and secondary source information. It blows my mind how no one actually goes to the source to check information even when its right at their fingertips!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I saw that post on FB and actually posted a link to the manual so people wouldn't get confused on this. Rick was trying to be helpful just got his wires crossed on that one point. As a separate matter - kids (mine included) and many adults these days need some real lessons in understanding the difference between primary and secondary source information. It
    blows my mind how no one actually goes to the source to check information even when its right at their fingertips!
    RTFM! Few know what that means anymore.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast