Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Fewer more that actually do it! JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    RTFM! Few know what that means anymore.

Ahmen, can someone find this old fart's glasses? I can't read the pages anymore....

3. Member
    As an electrical engineer, I would put the choke on the power cable going to the unit for mine. Each unit would have it’s own.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

4. Member
    Great question! I’m so glad you asked it. I read the instructions and installed it on the on-board charger leads going to the cranking/HB Solix battery. Every install video I have watched on YouTube install it wrong according to Humminbird. It makes sense if you stop the radio frequency (RF) interference from even getting to the battery that powers all our electronics that that would be a good solution. Installing down the line might be too late. Choke cable right there in between the charger (the source of the RFI) and the crank battery for the win.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 12-01-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    As an electrical engineer, I would put the choke on the power cable going to the unit for mine. Each unit would have it’s own.
    I probably could have been a little clearer, but I was in a hurry at the time. I believe the newer models come with chokes built in to the power cable to help mitigate a lot of the RFI problems. So, it may not be an issue if you don't install the choke adapter at the charger either way.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I saw that post on FB and actually posted a link to the manual so people wouldn't get confused on this. Rick was trying to be helpful just got his wires crossed on that one point. As a separate matter - kids (mine included) and many adults these days need some real lessons in understanding the difference between primary and secondary source information. It blows my mind how no one actually goes to the source to check information even when its right at their fingertips!
    We read the manual. Did the same with the mega 360 but a few weeks later HB said to connect the drain wire. So, I asked this choke question thinking maybe some new HB information came out (apparently not) after they shipped mega lives.

I agree 100% about validating sources. My son believed Rick worked directly for HB as a R&D leader. Turns out... nope - not at all, customer service never heard of him. However, they do know of Wayne (probably 90% of HB user do!!! Thanks Wayne!).

There are some very knowledgeable people on the Humminbird FB groups that I'd trust but I'm not on there much. Just came back to the BBC because it's a great way to get a direct answer and explanation.

No doubt a lot of good info right here and Wayne is a real asset to HB and this forum.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    No doubt a lot of good info right here and Wayne is a real asset to HB and this forum.
    Absolutely, he is!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    RTFM! Few know what that means anymore.
    I don't understand the need for the "RTFM" comments. Not everyone learns that way and the manual doesn't explain everything. Maybe I'm wrong???

For example. I felt my Helix skills were strong. I learned a lot from the manual, HB tips and trick FB page, the technological angler, Wayne, youtube and other posts on here. But I just started with Solix and it's different.

I watched John P's YouTube mega live video and he had the 360 split on two Solix screens. I scrubbed the 300+ page F@#&ing MANUAL and could not get it! I looked and looked at other places before asking on here. Wayne responded about the "global" settings - global is not on Helix so this is new to me. Eventually I figured it out - sorta. I got 360 split but lost map sharing. Finally I got that back too. Global is in the F@#&ing MANUAL but it's not very clear to me. Wayne could have said "RTFM" but he didn't. Instead he steered me in the right direction and I am very grateful for his time.

I assumed this new choke location was from a valid HB source (sorry, my mistake). Maybe something new like the mega 360 drain wire that wasn't in the original F@#&ing MANUAL. But I don't feel bad about asking this question. Other people were confused as well so maybe this thread will help them.

I'm an old fart. I like learning this stuff. It's not so easy for everyone. But these "RTFM" comments might make people feel Iike idiots??? Are they really necessary? Is it difficult to skip the "RTFM" comment and let someone else answer if they want to?

10. Member
    We all need Wayne. Nobody said Solix is easy. I have had one for 4 years and is still frustrating at times. I too am an old guy and I do rtfm, but it is not the whole story for sure. Except for Wayne, we all have confusion now and then. Even the young guys struggle with stuff and it does require study and practice. Hang in there BO. Bob

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    We all need Wayne. Nobody said Solix is easy. I have had one for 4 years and is still frustrating at times. I too am an old guy and I do rtfm, but it is not the whole story for sure. Except for Wayne, we all have confusion now and then. Even the young guys struggle with stuff and it does require study and practice. Hang in there BO. Bob
    I'm getter there. Just learning where everything is and all the different settings. After I get the menus down, I might sign up for an electronics training session.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWILLIAMS View Post
    I don't understand the need for the "RTFM" comments. Not everyone learns that way and the manual doesn't explain everything. Maybe I'm wrong???

For example. I felt my Helix skills were strong. I learned a lot from the manual, HB tips and trick FB page, the technological angler, Wayne, youtube and other posts on here. But I just started with Solix and it's different.

I watched John P's YouTube mega live video and he had the 360 split on two Solix screens. I scrubbed the 300+ page F@#&ing MANUAL and could not get it! I looked and looked at other places before asking on here. Wayne responded about the "global" settings - global is not on Helix so this is new to me. Eventually I figured it out - sorta. I got 360 split but lost map sharing. Finally I got that back too. Global is in the F@#&ing MANUAL but it's not very clear to me. Wayne could have said "RTFM" but he didn't. Instead he steered me in the right direction and I am very grateful for his time.

I assumed this new choke location was from a valid HB source (sorry, my mistake). Maybe something new like the mega 360 drain wire that wasn't in the original F@#&ing MANUAL. But I don't feel bad about asking this question. Other people were confused as well so maybe this thread will help them.

I'm an old fart. I like learning this stuff. It's not so easy for everyone. But these "RTFM" comments might make people feel Iike idiots??? Are they really necessary? Is it difficult to skip the "RTFM" comment and let someone else answer if they want to?

Totally agree with you on this. I have never understood why some respond the way they do on here. Most people post things looking for help and don't need a smart @&?! comment or response. I have had that happen to me on occasion. It's very offensive and unnecessary IMO.

I read about installing the choke so I called NOCO to see if installing it would void the warranty on my charger. They said if I install it after the fuse holders it wouldn't void the warranty but the manual says to install it before the fuse holders! So I'm just going to leave it off!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

14. Member
    Don't install the choke unless you have interference. It is included in case you need it. JMO Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12