Newbie Upgrade Help...

I Just got a Carbon 12 with transducer and need to take my existing Gen 2 (I think) HDS 10 to the bow TM and install the new Carbon.
    I have both the skimmer and "conventional" full size transducer currently mounted on the transom for the old Gen 2.
    I also have a structure scan box all this for the older HDS unit.
    I don't know how to best fit these units and what is needed.
    I don't understand what the skimmer transducer does and if it is even needed with the new 3 in 1 transducer on the Carbon?
    Can someone give me a rundown of how to physically configure the older HDS unit to the TM?
    Do I simply move the old transducer and structure scan box to the bow and network to the Carbon?
    Leave the skimmer alone?
    As the title says, I am new to this and very much learning....
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Neither your Gen 2 or the StructureScan-module should be in ethernet with the Carbon due to Legacy-issues. Personally I would ditch the module and old StructureScan-transducer, move the old HDS up front and mount the skimmer under the TM unless it already has a transducer in it. Then start saving in order to upgrade the old unit to a unit that networks well with the Carbon.

3. Member
    So my best bet is separate systems new in back and old in front,,?
    Thanks!

4. Member
    In my opinion, yes.

5. Member
    Pull everything out! Install the Carbon at the console and the 3 in 1 on the transom. Move the Gen 2 to the bow and get a trolling motor mount for the Skimmer. Sell the StructureScan HD module and the LSS 2. But as TC mentioned don’t connect them with Ethernet.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    I understand and very much appreciate your comments
    my only question is why not use the older 3 in 1 and the structure scan on the trolling motor?
    I would believe that I can rig the wiring and hide the box
    Would that not be better quality images than the skimmer transponder?

7. Member
    Not sure now what you are saying. A 3in1 won’t work on your Gen 2. You could move the StructureScan transducer from the transom to the bow if you want it there. All the 2D transducers are about the same. So, I’m not real clear on what you are asking.

NoCAL
    2B112175

8. Member
    Sorry for my ignorance
    I believe that the transducer with the gen 2 is called LSS, that’s what I meant not 3 in 1.

Is there a benefit to use the LSS transducer vs the skimmer, vs the even older Lowrance unit transducer currently attached to the TM?
    actually I need to spend some time with the wiring as I’m not certain where the skimmer transducer is going, I don’t see two connections for transducers so maybe the skimmer is connected to the old school flasher I also have?
    Sorry again for my ignorance, I really don’t know what difference the transducer makes for viewing quality, just trying to understand what may be best for me to use

9. Member
    LSS is only a Sidescan transducer. You need a 2D for regular sonar up front.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    OK, Last question,,,
    I currently have mounted on my TM a transducer from a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI, the specs of the transponder are copied below. Just use this transponder?
    Transducer SkimmerŪ DSI Imaging Transducer

Frequency 455/800 kHZ

11. Member
    No, just trash that one. It will only work on an Elite 5 and is only Downscan. No 2D sonar. You need a new 7 pin (blue) PDT-WBL to connect to your Gen 2 on the bow.
    2B112175