Mega live vs livescope

Looking to get a new unit. Can somebody give me an honest opinion between the humminbird mega live and the Garmin livescope?

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

Use the search function and read for days.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I could but I figure since it just came out a recent updated post may benefit.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

4. Member
    I have both, like both but here is my opinion.
    Within 40' I give the edge to ML
    Beyond 50' I give the edge to LS
    The picture on the ML is super clear and bright.
    Zero issue seeing the HB screen in direct bright sunlight. This is a big problem on some of the Garmin units.
    The picture on the LS has more clutter and maybe a tiny bit better detail but not by much when you dial in the ML
    No ghost tree on ML as compared to LS
    Both still have a dead spot but it is much less for me for ML
    I have a Helix for ML and a 8612 touch unit for LS
    On screen control for LS is nice
    I've had my ML out 4 times. I've had my LS over 3 years.
    Both are good products. At this point it is kinda like Chevy vs Ford IMO as to which you prefer.
    I prefer the ML but I admit that I really like HB products.
    I will continue to use both, ML for within 40' and fishing, LS for beyond 50' and searching.

Thank you for this

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

6. Member
    I have both, like both but here is my opinion.
    Within 40' I give the edge to ML
    Beyond 50' I give the edge to LS
    The picture on the ML is super clear and bright.
    Zero issue seeing the HB screen in direct bright sunlight. This is a big problem on some of the Garmin units.
    The picture on the LS has more clutter and maybe a tiny bit better detail but not by much when you dial in the ML
    No ghost tree on ML as compared to LS
    Both still have a dead spot but it is much less for me for ML
    I have a Helix for ML and a 8612 touch unit for LS
    On screen control for LS is nice
    I've had my ML out 4 times. I've had my LS over 3 years.
    Both are good products. At this point it is kinda like Chevy vs Ford IMO as to which you prefer.
    I prefer the ML but I admit that I really like HB products.
    I will continue to use both, ML for within 40' and fishing, LS for beyond 50' and searching.

Royt

I know you don't have many hours in the seat with the HB unit at this time, but thought I would ask a question anyways.

If you still had a functional 2.0 LS system, would it still be a Ford vs Chevy thing?

In other words, would you trade what you have now, to get what you had with the LS 2.0(pre perspective software).

Thanks

7. Member
    Great question Mike!
    My original Garmin setup was very clear without any ghost tree or dead areas. I wish it was still that way. If it was I would not have had a need to buy a Mega Live. At this point I don't believe Garmin will ever get back to what it had at the beginning without releasing a new designed transducer.
    I do believe the ML will only get better.
    I really love my Garmin 8612 unit. I really love my HB units that I have at the console.
    It LS was like it was 2 years ago it would have a larger edge on ML IMO.
    I think it would still come down to Ford vs Chevy for most. If your used to and mainly run one brand and like to network your units then the choice becomes easier. HB still has superior side image over any other brand by a good margin. HB down is also very.good.and their 2d is as well.
    Hope this helps.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I agree that it will come down to brand preference in many cases. I am heavily invested in Johnson Outdoor products (Humminbird & Cannon) and absolutely love the integration. I had no desire to add another brand and was willing to wait for Mega Live. I don't think there is a better seek (Mega 360) and destroy (Mega Live) collection of integrated electronics on the market.

The question, in my mind is,, does Mega Live do what you need it to do. In my case, the answer is an emphatic yes... And I firmly believe that it will improve over time through Control Head and ML software updates. Hopefully Humminbird won't make a step backwards like Garmin made in the Perspective mode software update.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    Thanks Royt and thanks for sharing your reviews.

Nice that you have both systems and can offer a solid opinion on the pros and cons of each.

My boats run both, fully integrated HB and Garmin systems side by side.

I just swap the MFDs between boats.

Can't touch the HB Mega SI on clarity and the integration for search and mark and navigation with the Tmotor and MFDs.

Still running 2.0 LS with a non UHD 93sv and guess I will spend some cash on an upgraded Garmin MFD or maybe a Mega 360 system.

Glad I am a late adopter of updates for any of the systems.

Some would call it procrastination.

Thanks again

10. Member
    My last boat had Garmin for LS only and Humminbird's for everything else.

I fish a lot of grass where LS was pointless. I'd use the Garmin for mapping then but it's not as good as Humminbird on my lake.

I like Mega Live because I don't mess with the settings as often. LS, you'll mess with the settings to clear up the display throughout the day. LS detail is a bit better but not enough for me to go back to it. Perspective mode on LS gives better detail than mega live landscape but I don't use it since I have 360.

LS consumed more power than mega live.

Both work and both will show fish. Since I must have mega 360. Humminbird mapping, and mega side imaging, it made sense to go with mega live for me. I do not regret it.