Thread: Buckle Up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buckle Up

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Not sure what to think of NU. On one hand holiday trading, low liquidity means we could really sell off. On the other hand, we don't know how bad it will be, but rate hikes and Fed tapering will be pushed back, so selling may not be that strong.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Backing up the truck on quality stocks…Black Friday sale!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Backing up the truck on quality stocks…Black Friday sale!
    Yes sir ee Bob!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    We could wake up Monday morning with news that this variant isn't all that bad, more contagious but less lethal. I know I'm doing a little buying
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    I'm buying. Adding to position in some and looking to buy a few new ones. What are some good ones to look up?

7. Member
    Powell threw a curveball today. Doesnt look like any more easing even if the virus hits hard. I for one am ready to a return for more normal rates in the next year or two.

Why would you interview a pharma CEO about the new variant? What the hell do you think he is going to say?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...nt-11638266621

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    I'm buying. Adding to position in some and looking to buy a few new ones. What are some good ones to look up?
    I may add to my LEG position if it gets down to the 39 level. Still not close on the prices for the other things on my Christmas list.

10. Member
    We’ve NEVER moved this quickly on any previous variant. AI developed the Pfizer vaccine in 72 hours, it’s been “done and over” since January 2020. All the data gathered since that time … keyed into computers. All the vaccine responses, deaths, intubations, etc. in there too. Since we have the original virus signature along with Alpha, Delta, Mu, etc. we know very well how each of them varied, the vaccine efficacy for each variant, therapeutic responses, etc.

Last week, Pfizer (and others) keyed in Omicron's molecular data and pushed the “compute” button. End result … we heard about Omicron on Wednesday, immediately preceding a Federal holiday. By Friday, still a holiday weekend when nearly anyone of consequence is on vacation, we locked down partially and sounded the trumpets. Yesterday, the first ‘normal’ working day since the Omicron uncovering, the POTUS gave a speech to the public on the variant. Today, the POTUS, and White House team, is calling the governor in each state.

IMO,, they know more than they are giving out to John Q and Karen R Public. And they’ve provided themselves with a ‘window’ of opportunity by reporting it will take a couple of weeks to determine efficacy of current vaccines and therapeutics.

Hopefully, I'm way past wrong and the markets will soar like an eagle. In the meantime, I'm gonna go see "House of Gucci", to score points with the missus, and forget about the entire hot mess.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Unless there's some seriously bad news, the market is already past Omicron. And yesterday was about Powell's comments about taper. I think the fear of taper and fear of rising interest rates is scarier than reality. Should we really be scared of 1% or 2% or even higher interest rates. How strong of an economy would it be to warrant 3% rates. Where would oil be with an economy that needs 2 or 3% rates
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Unless there's some seriously bad news, the market is already past Omicron. And yesterday was about Powell's comments about taper. I think the fear of taper and fear of rising interest rates is scarier than reality. Should we really be scared of 1% or 2% or even higher interest rates. How strong of an economy would it be to warrant 3% rates. Where would oil be with an economy that needs 2 or 3% rates
    The general public should be happy with rising rates, it would slow down the inflation just a touch.
    Most anyone wanting to relocate/purchase, has done so. Same for anyone wanting/needing to refinance.
    The largest personal effect ... debt loads tied to treasury rates (revolving credit, student loans, etc.).

The PEs want low rates, or even lower rates, to allow them to continue to acquisitions at light speed.
    Overall, this isn't a good thing for the consumer. Fewer choices & more leverage against small business.

I'm in the "slow the burn" camp. I don't need 6% inflation in 2022, nor the volatility paired with it.

13. Member
    For this week I'm tossing in a few more bucks into crypto. After Christmas I'll look at the stock market for possible buys.

14. Member
    Weird Ryan Cohen said this exact title back in june...

15. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Just a heads up, Omicron is rising fast here in MD, and we have high vaccination rates. Hospitalizations are up significantly in the last few days. Yesterday there was talk about cutting back on elective procedures and rerouting ambulance deliveries. Hospitals are dealing with extreme staffing shortages to add to the mess. I was thinking the omicron variant might not be a big deal, but it's starting to be a big deal.

We need to get past this weeks options expiration and probably into next year to see what the market really thinks about the Fed decision. And from what my wife's meetings are entailing we will be hearing more about Omicron in a few weeks as well.
    Thanos was the hero

16. Member
    Wait until all these kids come home for winter break from college. Ours are coming tonight and Cornell sent all their students home earlier because they were running out of quarantine space. We should see plenty of volatility on the headlines the next month or so.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Just a heads up, Omicron is rising fast here in MD, and we have high vaccination rates. Hospitalizations are up significantly in the last few days. Yesterday there was talk about cutting back on elective procedures and rerouting ambulance deliveries. Hospitals are dealing with extreme staffing shortages to add to the mess. I was thinking the omicron variant might not be a big deal, but it's starting to be a big deal.

We need to get past this weeks options expiration and probably into next year to see what the market really thinks about the Fed decision. And from what my wife's meetings are entailing we will be hearing more about Omicron in a few weeks as well.
    You're a numbers guy. Omicron is proving to be WAY more infectious than other variants.
    With that information, we know the spread will be logarithmically a vertical line, more or less.
    Let's say the hospitalization rate is as low as 33% of the previous variants. Do the math.
    Many, many more people ALL showing up at Big City General with a case of the crap.

As noted previously, I'm not assuming it's not going to be a tidal wave, but I'm ready for it.
    The markets won't smile if Omicron goes bottle rocket anywhere, much less within the US.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You're a numbers guy. Omicron is proving to be WAY more infectious than other variants.
    With that information, we know the spread will be logarithmically a vertical line, more or less.
    Let's say the hospitalization rate is as low as 33% of the previous variants. Do the math.
    Many, many more people ALL showing up at Big City General with a case of the crap.

As noted previously, I'm not assuming it's not going to be a tidal wave, but I'm ready for it.
    The markets won't smile if Omicron goes bottle rocket anywhere, much less within the US.
    Reports I've read indicate the vaccinated are catching the new variant at a much higher rate. Timing of the new variant is purely coincidental I am sure but once the unsubstantiated cash stops flowing the markets will respond accordingly.... at least after the artificial leg is removed. Then the inflation everyone is complaining about will affect everyone and everything. Although rates were announced to increase offsetting this inflation I'm expecting exponential increases in commodities while the remaining market plummets accordingly. 2008 was just a wet dream to most.

19. Member
    Ain't saying the sky is falling ... but it might be a good idea to buckle up AND strap on a helmet.
    Unless my "key indicator" is sniffing glue, we're probably not gonna like the upcoming week.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Ain't saying the sky is falling ... but it might be a good idea to buckle up AND strap on a helmet.
    Unless my "key indicator" is sniffing glue, we're probably not gonna like the upcoming week.
    I still got my shopping list ready so ready for it to drop like a rock in the next few months. I sold a bunch of puts expiring in January and would love to own those stocks at those prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast