Best mapping for the James?

2022 will be my first trip to the James and was wondering what the best mapping card is down there? Appreciate the help!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Member
    Navionics map. If your depth finder and use the updated schedule bar logs that is nice. Keep in mind that when sonar logs with topo are displayed use it with caution as the uploaded information is good as long as the transducer depth/offset was used i have seen some places on the James using the Sonar logs and it was 2' shallower than what it displayed.

3. Member
    They need to create a mapping program that uses real time tide and GPS locations on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by gettnet View Post
    They need to create a mapping program that uses real time tide and GPS locations on the fly.
    I've got to believe that the barge pilots must have something better than what we have access to.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Member
    On my Lowrance HDS Live, I have the ability to pull up the tide information from the nearest tide station. Additionally, you can also setup depth shade for areas for a predetermined depth to prevent you from running in there and know to be careful. The only thing that sucks about the tide info on the Lowrance units is that it doesn't take into account the affects from offshore storms that will create extremely low or high tides which causes major headaches at time.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    I went thru this learning curve myself. Stay in the channels and do NOT assume that going into the cuts and bays is safe at the mouth. The River rats will cut Corners that you would not believe. My point is, don't ever follow boats that are NOT in the channel full stop until you have lots of hours on the river. When it rains, you get logs accumulating for example at the mouth of the Appomattox River were it dumps in the James. Running into the Appomattox is a treat unto itself. The Tides RIP on the James, so retrieving your boat on some of the Ramps like the R5 Bridge at the mouth of the Chickahominy River take experience. Entrance to some of the Pits is a idle or TM only thing (boulders, sand bars, logs)....Great fishing, but you can lose a LU quickly. Love the James River and especially the Chick.....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    As mentioned caution on Appomattox and James. Depending on currents, tide and wind, i have seen lots of log jams just below the Appomattox/James just below city point in the bend of the river.

8. Member
    Will the Lowrance tell you the water depth at your current position considering the tide or do you have to figure that out using your positional depth with the tide chart on the Lowrance?

Navionics is definitely the best mapping for the tidal rivers. With that being said, it's good for the main river but doesn't help a hole lot for most of the creeks. While in the creeks stay in the middle of the channel. If you think you're going over a flat the best advice I can give you is don't look down, trim up and go full send mode until you get to deeper water lol. Ask me how I know.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO